The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss Universalis II - What’s new?

RodK

Hello everyone.

Universalis II will utilize a new smaller front frame, fully compatible with existing Arca-Swiss 110X110mm lens boards.

Universalis II will have a very thin bellows of the same design as the original leather bellows but made with a synthetic material.

Existing users can up-grade their front frame and bellows, but will need to send them to Arca-Swiss for the modification. Pricing for the upgrade will be about $800 USD. This modification will also be available for Monolith or MF2 users.

A new mini and classic L-bracket for the GFX will be released.

There will be a Universalis II available with a mounting quick release for Classic L-Brackets.

Our original Canon Control lens board will continue to work with Universalis II. Canon lenses will achieve infinity focus with the new Fuji GFX on Universalis II.

All other parts remain the same as the original Universalis.

Universalis II will begin shipping first week of April.

It should be noted that Universalis was designed by Arca-Swiss to be a fully modular camera. We have conversion kits available to change format - DSLR, 6X9 medium format, 4X5. In addition, our system can be expanded with rail extensions, long bellows, etc.

Also - Our P0 Hybrid geared head and the new Quick-Link (for head to tripod legs) are in stock. The new C1 Cube gp and D4 gp tripod heads with gear driven panning are still on pre-order but expected soon.

Last edited:

marc aurel

Ken,
Digital Transitions mentions pricing on their reason #10.

https://digitaltransitions.com/arca-swiss-universalis-11-reasons-youll-love-it/

--Steve.
The blog entry you linked to is from january 2015.

In germany the Arca F-Universalis I is around 2.620€ (including VAT). I do not expect the price of the version II to be much different (at least I hope so). Not much has changed. Mostly the smaller frame for mounting the lens boards which should lead to less problems with camera grips when the camera is in portrait orienation. But we will see. The canon lens board with electronic aperture control is a round 1060€ in Germany.
Great that we have more and more options now and that the manufacturers keep improving their products.

Abstraction

The blog entry you linked to is from january 2015.

In germany the Arca F-Universalis I is around 2.620€ (including VAT). I do not expect the price of the version II to be much different (at least I hope so). Not much has changed. Mostly the smaller frame for mounting the lens boards which should lead to less problems with camera grips when the camera is in portrait orienation. But we will see. The canon lens board with electronic aperture control is a round 1060€ in Germany.
Great that we have more and more options now and that the manufacturers keep improving their products.
Are you saying that Digital Transitions is trying to bang its customers with a 100% markup over the RETAIL price in Europe?

marc aurel

Are you saying that Digital Transitions is trying to bang its customers with a 100% markup over the RETAIL price in Europe?
No. I just hinted that the blog entry is pretty old and maybe does not mirror actual prices. Especially not the price for the Universalis II, it does not refer to that. And I wanted to prevent others from being confused by a rough number while it actually does not specifiy at all what that estimation is for. The blog entry says: "a Univeralis kit can be around $4,500 DEPENDING ON THE CONFIGURATION"). Unclear how many lens panels and whatever else is included in that estimation. Maybe Digital Transition can clarify.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not a chance.

We're one of the largest Arca Swiss dealers in the world; we don't play games like that.

The quote on our Arca Swiss Universalis – 11 Reasons You’ll Love It is "Depending on configuration a Univeralis kit can be around $4,500 depending on the configuration" as in a complete kit ready to take a picture (keeping the price of the digital back separate).

Of course, the definition of "complete kit" is very open for debate. For example I generally dislike when a view camera price is quoted sans adapter plate since some companies charge a lot more for this same utilitarian component than others, and the overwhelming majority of customers will need to buy one - the exception being people who are buying a second body within the same system (e.g. already have an RM3Di and are buying the Universalis; they share adapter plates), but those people are already more savvy about the pricing of a system.

We're glad to send you a full Arca Swiss price list if you'd like. Generally we would prefer to talk over the phone first to make sure we can highlight for you the things you'll need, things you might want, and the things that are not good fits. But we're also glad to reply to a one line email :). Our sales team also has a few "configurator" spreadsheets that can make pricing out a kit a bit easier than parsing through the flat-list price list (e.g. it lists the necessary and "might like to have" components separately and lists what your options are for each.)

Last edited:

Abstraction

Not a chance.

We're one of the largest Arca Swiss dealers in the world; we don't play games like that.

The quote on our Arca Swiss Universalis – 11 Reasons You’ll Love It is "Depending on configuration a Univeralis kit can be around $4,500 depending on the configuration" as in a complete kit ready to take a picture (keeping the price of the digital back separate).

Of course, the definition of "complete kit" is very open for debate. For example I generally dislike when a view camera price is quoted sans adapter plate since some companies charge a lot more for this same utilitarian component than others, and the overwhelming majority of customers will need to buy one - the exception being people who are buying a second body within the same system (e.g. already have an RM3Di and are buying the Universalis; they share adapter plates), but those people are already more savvy about the pricing of a system.

We're glad to send you a full Arca Swiss price list if you'd like. Generally we would prefer to talk over the phone first to make sure we can highlight for you the things you'll need, things you might want, and the things that are not good fits. But we're also glad to reply to a one line email :). Our sales team also has a few "configurator" spreadsheets that can make pricing out a kit a bit easier than parsing through the flat-list price list (e.g. it lists the necessary and "might like to have" components separately and lists what your options are for each.)
I see a "complete kit" as something that can be used right out of the box, complete with lens boards, mounts, etc. So, if a camera is priced just for the rails, without bellows or mounting boards, that becomes a Royal PITA.

It's still quite an expensive proposition considering that the Actus can be had for considerably less.

I'll PM you about the price list.

Thanks

RodK

The Arca-Swiss Universalis II will be priced the same as the original Universalis. We don't have a catalog number for it yet, but that is the information from Arca-Swiss Int.

You can purchase the camera in one of 3 configurations. Format conversion kits will allow it to quickly change formats. These are sold separately.

019123 DSLR $2860.00 - 1.2 kg/2.64 lbs
019169 6X9 $3380.00 - 1.6 kg/3.52 lbs
019145 4X5 $3770.00 - 1.9 kg/4.2 lbs

Format Conversion Kits
021245 4X5 Universalis format kit - $1921.00
021469 6X9 Universalis format kit - $1321.00

Sold separately are items that expand the system - Arca-Swiss 110 lens boards, Canon lensboard, R-line Bayonet lensboard, Hasselblad lensboard, Pentacon lensboard, extension rails, plug-in extensions, long bellows, etc. Exception is for DSLR - the bayonet mount and L-brackets sold separately.

Bayonet mounts -$131
L-bracket for GFX pricing is not available yet.

Last edited:

RodK

The Universalis View camera

The basic model is extremely compact, making it ideal for use either in the studio or on location, where it is just as handy as a folding camera and easily fits into a backpack or messenger style shoulder bag. The reduced distance between the front and rear standards makes it possible to use very short focal length lenses, ideal for architectural photography. In addition, the all- metal construction provides extreme precision and rigidity.

With proprietary ARCA-SWISS orbix® system, all yaw-free swing and tilt movements are made around the centre of the lens (effectively in a sphere) so the position of the lens board plane is maintained in the correct position with no adverse effects on angularity or image composition.

Universalis is compatible with the range of ARCA-SWISS monorail system accessories.

The Universalis view camera is available in three versions. The differences lie mainly in the function carriers, which come with or without support frames. In fact, all three models share a common monorail, front standard and lens carrier. The lens carrier also provides micrometric movements for tilt and vertical shift. Self-locking, micrometric vertical and lateral shift movements are also available on the rear standard. It should be noted, that the amount of available shift on all three models is greater than the dimensions of currently available backs, for perfectly stitched panoramas.

The first version is intended for small format 35mm reflex and hybrid mirrorless cameras. The camera is fixed using an Arca-Swiss L-bracket onto the rear standard, using a MonoballFix mounting plate. Universals II will have the option for a classic quick release mount. The supplied bellows attaches quickly via a magnetic ring to a very thin bayonet mount that attaches to DSLR or mirrorless cameras. Canon, Nikon Sony e-mount, Leica M, and now Fuji GFX are currently available and others will be produced if there is sufficient demand.

The second version is intended for medium format backs (film or digital) and comprises a rear standard with an adapter plate for these backs. Wide angle as well as standard bellows from the ARCA-SWISS camera system are available.

The third version for 4x5, has a rear standard with a ground-glass and a spring loading dark-slide holder and can be used either with 4X5 sheet film, or roll film holders.

tjv

I can't seem to find details on the range of movements for either Universalis I or II. Can someone please post the spec list here?

RodK

I can't seem to find details on the range of movements for either Universalis I or II. Can someone please post the spec list here?
Universalis
Movements Front: Geared rise/fall and MicroOrbix tilt, Yaw free manual swing
Movements Rear : Geared rise/fall and geared shift

Rear Rise/Fall : + - 25mm Geared
Front Rise/Fall: 40mm total available rise movement depending on the format carrier
Rear Shift : + - 25mm Geared

RodK

I attached a Universalis II photo but it has disappeared from my original post. I will try to attach it again.

Also, a complete thread started by Erik Lundquist has vanished. It was titled "ARCA-SWISS UNIVERSALIS II WITH GFX SUPPORT"
What happened? I've seen threads closed but never deleted.

I attached a Universalis II photo but it has disappeared from my original post. I will try to attach it again.

Also, a complete thread started by Erik Lundquist has vanished. It was titled "ARCA-SWISS UNIVERSALIS II WITH GFX SUPPORT"
What happened? I've seen threads closed but never deleted.
That's odd. Looks like it is gone. It did get quite heated in there between a few people. Maybe that's why.

Thanks for updating this thread instead :)

tjv

That's odd. Looks like it is gone. It did get quite heated in there between a few people. Maybe that's why.

Thanks for updating this thread instead :)
Can someone, maybe a mod, clarify where it's gone and why? I'm quite interested in the camera and there's very few places to read about Arca products online.

Zihaloid

Re: Arca-Swiss Universalis II - a practical question: dust protection

Hello everyone.

Universalis II will utilize a new smaller front frame, fully compatible with existing Arca-Swiss 110X110mm lens boards.

Universalis II will have a very thin bellows of the same design as the original leather bellows but made with a synthetic material.

Existing users can up-grade their front frame and bellows, but will need to send them to Arca-Swiss for the modification. Pricing for the upgrade will be about $800 USD. This modification will also be available for Monolith or MF2 users.

A new mini and classic L-bracket for the GFX will be released.

There will be a Universalis II available with a mounting quick release for Classic L-Brackets.

Our original Canon Control lens board will continue to work with Universalis II. Canon lenses will achieve infinity focus with the new Fuji GFX on Universalis II.

All other parts remain the same as the original Universalis.

Universalis II will begin shipping first week of April.

It should be noted that Universalis was designed by Arca-Swiss to be a fully modular camera. We have conversion kits available to change format - DSLR, 6X9 medium format, 4X5. In addition, our system can be expanded with rail extensions, long bellows, etc.

Also - Our P0 Hybrid geared head and the new Quick-Link (for head to tripod legs) are in stock. The new C1 Cube gp and D4 gp tripod heads with gear driven panning are still on pre-order but expected soon.

Hello,

I would like to thank Rod for those precise informations. My two questions below are about using the Universalis in the field. It appears to be a most interesting tool with many options. I am not so sure how this turns out in practice.

- i) Universalis DSLR and dust protection of the sensor:
Is there a cap for the Arca Swiss bayonet mount to protect the camera's sensor against dust during transport or do I have to mount/unmount the bayonet mount every time I want to store the camera separately?
(Unmounting the AS bayonet mount every time to protect the sensor with the camera's original body cap would be a nuisance.)

- ii) Focusing the Universalis 4x5:
The supplied rail length for the Universalis 4x5 is 25cm. Due to the construction of the Universalis' function carriers, the available rail length for focusing is much less. This will not allow to focus a 150mm lens much closer than about 3 meters. I hope that I am overlooking some simple solution to that problem (apart from the trivial solution to buy a longer rail).

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions,
with my best regards

Peter

Why is it so hard to find information on the Arca-Swiss Universalis II? Arca-Swiss must be the most secretive company in the world :)

I've been looking hard at the Cambo Actus lately, but it would be nice to at least consider one other option.

med

Re: Arca-Swiss Universalis II - a practical question: dust protection

Hello,

I would like to thank Rod for those precise informations. My two questions below are about using the Universalis in the field. It appears to be a most interesting tool with many options. I am not so sure how this turns out in practice.

- i) Universalis DSLR and dust protection of the sensor:
Is there a cap for the Arca Swiss bayonet mount to protect the camera's sensor against dust during transport or do I have to mount/unmount the bayonet mount every time I want to store the camera separately?
(Unmounting the AS bayonet mount every time to protect the sensor with the camera's original body cap would be a nuisance.)

- ii) Focusing the Universalis 4x5:
The supplied rail length for the Universalis 4x5 is 25cm. Due to the construction of the Universalis' function carriers, the available rail length for focusing is much less. This will not allow to focus a 150mm lens much closer than about 3 meters. I hope that I am overlooking some simple solution to that problem (apart from the trivial solution to buy a longer rail).

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions,
with my best regards

Peter
Assuming that one did have a longer rail, does anyone know what the min/max bellows draw of the standard 4x5 Universalis bellows, old or new?