The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

COMPACT FLASH PROBLEM... from IQ150 to APTUS II 7

archivue

testing an IQ150, i 've used my CF Sandisk Extreme 16gb in it... reformatting the card inside the back, it works fine.

today, i cannot use the card anymore with my APTUS II 7 even after formatting it with the computer... MS-DOS (fat) & MBR with Disk utility on a mac running mac os 10.11.6

i reinsert it in the back and try to reformatting inside... it doesn't work !

any idea ?

Paul2660

testing an IQ150, i 've used my CF Sandisk Extreme 16gb in it... reformatting the card inside the back, it works fine.

today, i cannot use the card anymore with my APTUS II 7 even after formatting it with the computer... MS-DOS (fat) & MBR with Disk utility on a mac running mac os 10.11.6

i reinsert it in the back and try to reformatting inside... it doesn't work !

any idea ?
Not sure if this will work, but do you have any other camera brand, Nikon or Canon that will take the card and can format it there? Also if possible can you format on a PC? Just throwing it out.

Paul Caldwell

archivue

No PC allowed in my house ! ;-) ( just a joke... but i have 6 computers here, and they are all from big brother...

I'm sure, it's not a good idea to put the card in my nikon, prior to put it back to my Leaf...

anyway if i can't find a way, i will use this card with my nikon at the end !

vjbelle

If it were me I would throw the card out. May not be what you want to hear but it would be worse if you took something important (like everything is) and then couldn't get it off the card. 16gb cards are very reasonably priced. CF cards are at the end of life anyway but most of the current DB use them.... next generation DB will see the addition of newer cards.

Victor

Geoff

Had a similar problem with a 16 gb card formatted in a Credo 60 and wouldn't work in a Leaf Aptus II. Was told this:

"The older Leaf backs (Aptus series) were not as CF Card friendly - CF Cards typically had to be first formatted in Disk Utility on a Mac as MS-DOS, then could be formatted in the Aptus and dedicated to the Aptus.vA card used in a Credo would likely ned to undergo the above procedure before it would work in an Aptus."

archivue

The mac can format the card... but when i try to reformat it in the back, it says that an error occurs...
Had a similar problem with a 16 gb card formatted in a Credo 60 and wouldn't work in a Leaf Aptus II. Was told this:

"The older Leaf backs (Aptus series) were not as CF Card friendly - CF Cards typically had to be first formatted in Disk Utility on a Mac as MS-DOS, then could be formatted in the Aptus and dedicated to the Aptus.vA card used in a Credo would likely ned to undergo the above procedure before it would work in an Aptus."

algrove

Will SD Formatter software work with CF cards too? I personally have never tried it, but I do not see why it would not work if reading a CF card.

Pelorus

Will SD Formatter software work with CF cards too? I personally have never tried it, but I do not see why it would not work if reading a CF card.
I think this might be down to a naming issue. The Aptus II 7 requires I think the root directory to be named leaf I think. Let me go an get a card and check this out. Heaven help me when I need to format a new card...I'll need to know this.

Edit:
On mine the CF card needs to be called LEAF-CF to work.

archivue

i've named it LEAF-CF as well... no success !

I think this might be down to a naming issue. The Aptus II 7 requires I think the root directory to be named leaf I think. Let me go an get a card and check this out. Heaven help me when I need to format a new card...I'll need to know this.

Edit:
On mine the CF card needs to be called LEAF-CF to work.

Last edited:

algrove

Start with a completely clean card via SD Formatter software. What do you have to loose at this point?

archivue

i've just received a brand new Kingston 266X 32GB ( what was on the compatible card list from Leaf/phase)
I've format it : FAT & MBR and it works fine !

I've tried the CF in my D800 it works fine... but in doubt, i won't use it !

Coming back from the D800, in disk utility, the security option came back... i'have reformat it with the max of passes... and it works... i've put it back in the aptus, and i was able to reformat it again... i will keep this one,just in case...

It's more and more difficult to find card that are on the official list... Sands extreme now are no more UDMA6 but UDMA7... are they compatible ?

and by the way, searching for CF i've found this strange adapter...
Delock Products Delock Compact Flash Adapter for SD Memory Cards

Last edited: