The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS Panorama components?

Clawery

David, the Z1 is an interesting head, but two things strike me: the locking arm for the panning base is very close to the bottom. I saw one review saying that it hits the tripod and cannot be closed completely. What tripod do you use? The other thing is that I love the RRS LR clamp, and would want to fit one if I were to buy a Z1. Is this possible? All reviews said that the Z1 had a smoother action than the BH-55, and the elliptical ball is a stroke of genius. One minor detractor here is that Arca-Swiss is not online... I find this truly bizarre in today's world. Where are they based?[/QUOTE]

In the U.S they have an office in Chicago, but their home office is currently in France. It is rather odd that they don't have a web site to show off their products.

I recently purchased the BH-55LR, but only after talking directly to RRS. They guided me as to what head would fit my needs. I would suggest calling them and see what they recommend for your app.

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
Sales Manager
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

D

ddk

David, the Z1 is an interesting head, but two things strike me: the locking arm for the panning base is very close to the bottom. I saw one review saying that it hits the tripod and cannot be closed completely. What tripod do you use? The other thing is that I love the RRS LR clamp, and would want to fit one if I were to buy a Z1. Is this possible? All reviews said that the Z1 had a smoother action than the BH-55, and the elliptical ball is a stroke of genius. One minor detractor here is that Arca-Swiss is not online... I find this truly bizarre in today's world. Where are they based?
Carsten,

I have two of the double pan Z1s which I use with a couple of Gitzo basalt and carbon tripods, I had Manfrottos and Sliks before and never experienced any issues with panning head on any of these tripods over the past 15 months since I got the Arca heads.

The difference between Z1 and RSS head is a lot more than just smoothness, the way to work with each is different. With the Arca I mount the camera, adjust the tension with the one knob and then smoothly move the camera to the desired position, minor adjustments are very easy without touching any controls and where the smoothness really comes into play with this head. The tension control on the RSS doesn't seem to work at all, the head is either loose or so tight that you can't move it at all. I find this annoying specially with a heavy lens attached when you have to loosen the ball every time you need to move the camera a little and hope that it doesn't slip away from you. I find fine tuning composition and making minor adjustments to camera difficult with this head.

Looking at the two heads the clamps seem to be interchangeable between them, but again the I find the Arca clamp much more elegant with its lower profile and lighter weight. I also like its dual locking mechanism better. I might sound negative towards RSS but I really have nothing but praise for the compan, tech support is very effective and helpful, wonderful customer service and they have some of the best products on the market, its just that I find Arca's equipment on a higher level.

Arca has a product called the Svelt which is an L bracket that attaches to the head instead of the camera, this might solve your problem if you can get one.

I find it very strange that AS has no website too, but they seem to be just fine without one. Here's a link to Precision Camera Works, you'll find a lot of information on AS products;

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html

Dale Allyn

My experience with the RRS tension control differs from David's. I find that I can set mine and use it just as he describes using (and as I have used) the A-S head. However, I do agree that the A-S is easier for those micro-adjustments in composition because of the smoother functioning ball.

I much prefer the handling of the RRS BH-55, but I am going to buy another A-S Z1 (I think) for a lighter tripod which is in need of a head update. I do like them both, but I like the A-S for my DSLR.

It's nice that we have options to suit preferences.

carstenw

Hmm, well I am thoroughly confused. Both sound wonderful, people have different experiences. Since we are not talking about a huge amount of money in either case, and since I am ordering a bunch of items from RRS anyway, I decided to try this one first. I have (previously) heard only praise for the BH-55, and I wanted to try it. It is more likely that I can find an Arca-Swiss in a store to try out here in Europe than the RRS, so I will keep my eyes open for it. If I should ultimately prefer it, I will just sell the RRS, at a small loss. No big deal.

Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered the BH-55 LR, MPR-CL II pano rail and the MC-L universal L-bracket. I know that this fits on the M8, but I think the lower rear edge lip would prevent it from being a good fit on the Contax 645 AF. I will try to cut a layer of cork to insert to get around this, but if that doesn't work, I will order either the new Acratech universal L-bracket, or the Kirk Big L, short version. Any enlightenment w.r.t. an L-bracket for the Contax 645 AF without MP-1 battery holder is very welcome.