The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best adapted lenses for the GFX system?

Quentin_Bargate

Let me know if for any reason they aren't able to assist. I'll get you taken care of.
Teamwork in London have one arriving from Cambo in a couple of days. Needless to say I have it ordered :thumbup:

Assuming all is good, it opens up the opportunity to use Canon lenses other than just the TS-E 24mm and 17mm (and to change apertures on those lenses) that cover the 44x33 sensor.

CAMBOUSA

Teamwork in London have one arriving from Cambo in a couple of days. Needless to say I have it ordered :thumbup:

Assuming all is good, it opens up the opportunity to use Canon lenses other than just the TS-E 24mm and 17mm (and to change apertures on those lenses) that cover the 44x33 sensor.
Glad to hear it! Be sure to share some images from your various combinations. I'm curious to see what other options outside of the TS-E work well for our users!

peterm1

I just received the Cambo CA-GFX adapters for my Fuji GFX camera. It seems to work well with the 24mm and 17mm TS-E lenses. However, I also have the Canon 11-24mm lens that I was hoping to be able to use with the adapter. While I can shoot with it on the adapter, the adapter says “no lens detected” and does not appear to allow me to change the aperture. Maybe I am missing something, but I thought it would work with the zoom. I will probably keep it to change aperture on my TS-E lenses, but disappointing nonetheless.

CAMBOUSA

I just received the Cambo CA-GFX adapters for my Fuji GFX camera. It seems to work well with the 24mm and 17mm TS-E lenses. However, I also have the Canon 11-24mm lens that I was hoping to be able to use with the adapter. While I can shoot with it on the adapter, the adapter says “no lens detected” and does not appear to allow me to change the aperture. Maybe I am missing something, but I thought it would work with the zoom. I will probably keep it to change aperture on my TS-E lenses, but disappointing nonetheless.
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Let me reach out and see if that is a known issue with that particular lens.

Just to be clear, the TS-E lenses initialize fine correct? Have you tried any other lens outside of those TS-E and the 11-24?

peterm1

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Let me reach out and see if that is a known issue with that particular lens.

Just to be clear, the TS-E lenses initialize fine correct? Have you tried any other lens outside of those TS-E and the 11-24?
Yes, both TS-E lenses work initialize fine. I don't have any other Canon lenses aside from those and the 11-24mm to try. Thanks for looking into it.

One thing I DO like about the adapter is the ability to hit the main button to switch back and forth between wide open and whatever aperture I have selected...

Patrick Collard

I think also it would be interesting to share as much information as possible on lenses for GFX

Here is my (very recent) experience on the subject:

1) I have got several Fotodiox adapters for GFX : Nikon, Pentax, Mamiya and Hasselblad V (HB)
All seem to work fine and focus to infinity (it is not or not always a hard focus, but a t least there does not seem to be problems)
The Pentax and HB adapters have a mount for a tripod
They are expensive but some are big, and they must be of high precision, because they might be the weakest link in the wole chain

2) Pentax lenses are really very good:
35 MM A
45 MM FA (it seems I have a good copy)
150 MM A
120 MM macro (incredibly good as many people have said)
45-85 MM zoom (very cheap in Japan and quite good on first impression)

A useful link for pentax 645 lenses:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20118/big_517_majh197_1.jpg
In 1985 Modern Photography made measures on 45 mm 50mm 75mm 150mm and 80-160mm zoom
The best lenses at f8 were measured at 70 lines pair/mm which is really quite good
I made a quick computation and the sensor of the GFX seems to be at 70-80 line pairs/mm

3) Nikon PC lenses (at least 28 mm 3.5 and probably 35 mm 2.8 as well as Canon equivalents) are cheap an cover the area of the 44x33 mm sensor
Very good buy for a cheap wide angle, fully manual of course

4) Hasselblad V lenses are also very good
I tested
a) Planar 100mm 3.5 : really very good, different color rendition that Fuji 63mm lens
Better at f8 than at f3.5
b) Sonnar 250mm 5.6 : suprisingly good at full aperture
(this means that Sonnar 150mm and 180mm are also very good since they are better optically than the 250mm, maybe not at full aperture)
c) Same lenses with 2X Mutar : not very good, somewhat disappointing

5) Mamiya lenses are somewhat disappointing, even if 110 mm 2.8 is interesting (and 80mm f4 should be good)
300 mm (at least my copy) provides little contrast

6) Manual focus is less a problem than I thought
> you just prefocus approximately
> and then move a little bit your focus left and right and look in the viewfinder for the sharpest (or the most coloured, depending on the MF aid you chose) image
> when you are convinced to have reached the best possible situation you shoot
Obviously, especially with telelenses:
> better be at f8, f11 or f16
> take several (or many) shots repeating each time the procedure and chose the best shot quietly at home
Since you need a fast shutter speed with telelenses, the ISO setting is used as the adjustement parameter to make all this possible, and ISO between 1000 and 2500 is not uncommon (ISO 400 is not uncommon also with a bright sun)

Hope this helps
Please ask for more information if you need

Guy

What is the procedure to operate the GFX with Fotodiox adapter and Hasselblad V Lenses?

The adapter attaches to the body and the lens to the adapter but the camera won't fire.

Any Thoughts?

Patrick

fotophil

The option "Shoot without lens" is buried deep in the menu system. Go "Setup": to "Button/Dial Setting" to "Shoot without lens - yes". Fuji treats manual third party lenses as non-lenses.

peterm1

I just reattached the 11-24mm lens and it is working now - maybe I hadn't firmly attached the lens the first time. The adapter shows what focal length I am zoomed to as I zoom in and out.

While expensive, with three Canon lenses I am loving being able to change the aperture on the fly when using them on the GFX...

CAMBOUSA

I just reattached the 11-24mm lens and it is working now - maybe I hadn't firmly attached the lens the first time. The adapter shows what focal length I am zoomed to as I zoom in and out.
Good to hear, I'm just getting into the office and checking my emails for the day. I was happy to see I had 2 emails from Cambo HQ about this issue. If you run into any other strange issues please reach out to me and/or your dealer and I'll personally handle it for you.

daf

Alright, so did you had time to make some shoot with the tse or any other canon lenses on the fuji? What do you think about image quality?

While expensive, with three Canon lenses I am loving being able to change the aperture on the fly when using them on the GFX...

peterm1

Alright, so did you had time to make some shoot with the tse or any other canon lenses on the fuji? What do you think about image quality?
Didn't have time to really shoot more than a test shot - swamped with work. Will report back when I get more time to shoot in the next few weeks...

chrismuc

keep in mind that the Canon 11-24, 17TSE and 24TSE have quite a field curvature, so better focus with life view near the image edges plus use f11 to achieve best sharpness up to the (eventually shifted) edges/ corners

btw., is the image circle of the 11-24 sufficient (have you removed the sun shade fins?) for the 44x33 mm sensor at all focal lengths?

peterm1

keep in mind that the Canon 11-24, 17TSE and 24TSE have quite a field curvature, so better focus with life view near the image edges plus use f11 to achieve best sharpness up to the (eventually shifted) edges/ corners

btw., is the image circle of the 11-24 sufficient (have you removed the sun shade fins?) for the 44x33 mm sensor at all focal lengths?
Thanks. On the 11-24mm, vignetting doesn't go away until about 15mm. How do you remove the hood from the 11-24mm by the way? I wouldn't want to do permanent damage.

I am stopping down a lot more with the GFX in general since I like deeper depth of field, and diffraction doesn't really degrade the image noticeably (at least not to me)...

Christopher

As far as I know it has to be cut off. I think the Vignetting you see is only the sunshade. But would need to ask someone who has done it.

Patrick Collard

The option "Shoot without lens" is buried deep in the menu system. Go "Setup": to "Button/Dial Setting" to "Shoot without lens - yes". Fuji treats manual third party lenses as non-lenses.

That worked. Thanks for the info. I am in the process of test it with the 40mm, 100mm, 120mm, 150mm and 180mm.

Initial test with the 40mm Cf and 120mm Cf are very promising.

Patrick

daf

There's a post on the GFX FB page (closed group, but here's the link..https://m.facebook.com/groups/167185790391985?view=permalink&id=287471921696704) showing images from the Voigtlander 10mm/5.6.

Incredibly it appears to very nearly cover a 16:9 crop of the sensor.

Does anyone here have experience of this lens, and does it come on a Canon mount?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Did you see a full size image? Asking because what i' ve seen from the 17/24/45/90 TSE, was very dissapointing, with strong smearing and stairstep aliasing.tu

Is there any way you could possibly elaborate on this? I have seen a similar comment made by Stefan Steib regarding the "field curvature" of the Canon 24mm TS-E II lens...

Sorry, cannot find the link at the moment..

Thanks in advance!