The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best adapted lenses for the GFX system?

Quentin_Bargate

My Cambo CA GFX Canon lens adapter has arrived. Well made, and it works as advertised with the Canon 24mm TS-E lens.

It has a built in battery and a small rear facing led screen that displays the lens focal lengh (24mm in the case of the Canon TS-E tilt shift lens I have tried it with) and the selected aperture. The aperture is set using a small dial top left of the adapter.

Quite a pricey adapter but it is well made, smaller than the mock up shots suggested, and most importantly, liberates the 24mm TS-E for proper use with apertures selectable using the adapter.

Supplied along with a small cambo storage charger to recharge the adapter as required. A nice touch.

I will post a few shots of the GFX with the adapted 24mm TS-E ( effectively now a 19mm super wide) when I have a few spare moments.

Purchased from Teamwork Photo in London.

Quentin_Bargate

So here are links to two full size test shots taken, hand-held, with the GFX, Cambo CA GFX Canon adapter, and the Canon 24mm TS-E lens right after I had collected the adapter and was still working it out.

Here is the GFX with adapter and lens attached:

Here are the two shots:

And here are links to the full size images:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/Test%20Shots%20Temp/GFX_Canon24mm_TS_E.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/Test%20Shots%20Temp/GFX_Canon24mm_TS_E_2.jpg

Both these shots are shot at about F/8 (selected using the adapter) and are shifted upwards, and decoded in ACR using default sharpness settings etc, with some rotation to correct for hand held errors and a bit of exposure / contrast tweaking, saved as Jpegs, quality 10.

The only purpose of these shots is to give people a base point to assess acceptability of the combo. I tried to be careful with focusing, but cannot say any aspect of these shots was done with the kind of care and attention to detail that I would normally hope, and they are of course hand-held. but here are my own views.

The Canon lens is good. Some smearing is apparent on the shifted corners. Vignetting and CA are very low. Lens coverage is excellent.

Y Sol

Yesterday I tested the Zeiss Makro-Planar ZF.2 100mm. Here is a shot handheld @F2,8. I'm not sure if I should keep the lens or should buy the GF-120mm, hmm decisions, decisions..... :grin:

Attachments

CAMBOUSA

My Cambo CA GFX Canon lens adapter has arrived. Well made, and it works as advertised with the Canon 24mm TS-E lens.

It has a built in battery and a small rear facing led screen that displays the lens focal lengh (24mm in the case of the Canon TS-E tilt shift lens I have tried it with) and the selected aperture. The aperture is set using a small dial top left of the adapter.

Quite a pricey adapter but it is well made, smaller than the mock up shots suggested, and most importantly, liberates the 24mm TS-E for proper use with apertures selectable using the adapter.

Supplied along with a small cambo storage charger to recharge the adapter as required. A nice touch.

I will post a few shots of the GFX with the adapted 24mm TS-E ( effectively now a 19mm super wide) when I have a few spare moments.

Purchased from Teamwork Photo in London.
Glad to hear that Teamwork was able to get you taken care of!

Thorkil

Does anyone know: can a Hasselblad FE 50/2.8 lens be mounted on a V-mount, and therefore via the Fotodiox V-adapter be mounted on the GFX?
Best Thorkil

Thorkil

Ps, while it seems to be the V-mount on the Hasselblad FE lenses. But will a 50/2.8 FE work properly on the Fotodioxadapter on the GFX?
best Thorkil

daf

Ps, while it seems to be the V-mount on the Hasselblad FE lenses. But will a 50/2.8 FE work properly on the Fotodioxadapter on the GFX?
best Thorkil
I have seen quite a few adapted lenses images on the gfx, but i have not yet seen any good sample, all present the same bad sharpness, smearing and staristep aliasing or strong CA...
I would be very very interested to see any good image quality wirh adapted lenses on this Fuji....

Quentin_Bargate

I have seen quite a few adapted lenses images on the gfx, but i have not yet seen any good sample, all present the same bad sharpness, smearing and staristep aliasing or strong CA...
I would be very very interested to see any good image quality wirh adapted lenses on this Fuji....
Jim Kasson has an excellent blog with extensive and very thorough tests of various adapted and native lenses here

Fujifilm GFX-50S Review

I think the blog on the GFX now runs to about 50 pages and should answer your question.

daf

Jim Kasson has an excellent blog with extensive and very thorough tests of various adapted and native lenses here

Fujifilm GFX-50S Review

I think the blog on the GFX now runs to about 50 pages and should answer your question.
Thanks for the link, i have not read all, but what i have seen seems to confirm my opinion that adapted lenses are nit playing well with the fuji.
I'm still interested if anyone can share a good picture from any adapted lenses... thanks

Thorkil

Fujifilm GFX-50S Review

Thanks Quentin, Jim Kassen don't mention any Hassy FE, CF etc. lenses, so I wrote him. But when the Fotodiox V-adapter will arrive at Goecker the local Copenhagen GFX and Hassy dealer, they will call, so we can try if the Hassy Carl Zeiss FE 50/2.8 distagon lens can do anything on the GFX. Its the only lens, I kept apart from my SWC. And its a lens "worth to die for" I think. Heavy, big but....
And a GFX could act like a "cheap" back, if so.
My only problem is that I got a mental blocking against Lightroom, and C1 is my only way. A pity Phase One wont support, even though very understandable. And I don't know if Irident is to be approached for deadly non-computer-freaks like me.

peterm1

If anyone has a Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 they can try on the GFX, I would love to know the performance and vignetting. If it's good I might be tempted to get this lens (the new version III one) to use with both my GFX and my A7RII....

narikin

While no-one wants to rain on this interesting parade, it is an education to discover just how poor supposedly 'great' older film lenses are when measured up digitally. Zeiss told me as much with a 'why bother, it's not worth it' when trying to adapt one of their rarer best lenses to use on an Alpa-Phase combo.

That said... it is: (a) an affordable way to get a large lens range, and (b) often leads to interesting and very unique results, without breaking the bank, so... why not!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

That lens doesn't perform to well on the Canon 5DIII, the 16-35/4L is a much better performer. The 16-35/2.8LII has been replaced by the LIII version, a superior lens.

A lens to look out for is the 11-24/4L, it is known to perform very well on the Sony 44x33 mm sensor.

Best regards
Erik

If anyone has a Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 they can try on the GFX, I would love to know the performance and vignetting. If it's good I might be tempted to get this lens (the new version III one) to use with both my GFX and my A7RII....

peterm1

Hi,

That lens doesn't perform to well on the Canon 5DIII, the 16-35/4L is a much better performer. The 16-35/2.8LII has been replaced by the LIII version, a superior lens.

A lens to look out for is the 11-24/4L, it is known to perform very well on the Sony 44x33 mm sensor.

Best regards
Erik
Thanks Erik, per my post, I am interested in the version III specifically, so I was wondering if anyone had an opportunity to test it on the GFX. I do have the 11-24L although there is significant vignetting on the wide and tele ends due to the built in hood I believe. I just got back from a couple of days of shooting with both the A7RII and the GFX, and I used the A7RII most of the time due to its stellar performance with the 17mm TS-E and 11-24mm...

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

On the 16-35/4 L I have there is rear baffle that is easily removed. I would think that would be the case on the 11-24/4, too.

You could mail Stefan Steib at Hartblei.de and ask.

s.steib at hcam.de

Or check this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJVoqGVM4I&ab_channel=ChieJoongkeun

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...canon-ef-l-11-24mm-new-wideangle-records.html

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/54571-hcam-master-ts-11-24mm.html

Check out this thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...canon-ef-l-11-24mm-new-wideangle-records.html

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik, per my post, I am interested in the version III specifically, so I was wondering if anyone had an opportunity to test it on the GFX. I do have the 11-24L although there is significant vignetting on the wide and tele ends due to the built in hood I believe. I just got back from a couple of days of shooting with both the A7RII and the GFX, and I used the A7RII most of the time due to its stellar performance with the 17mm TS-E and 11-24mm...

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

As I recently checked the new Novoflex GFX adapters I tried my Nikon AF-D Micro 2,8/60mm.

I can only say this lens on the GFX is astounding. Something of the sharpest stuff I have ever seen on this amount of data.

Attachments

DougDolde

Fujifilm GFX-50S Review

I reallze that this is a thread about adapted lenses but Kasson mentioned that native lenses need to be recoated every two years. I'd find that a great reason NOT to buy into this camera system. I've never been fan of adapting non native enses.

"The second is more mundane. The floobydust only lasts about two years. After that the rear element of the Fuji lenses must be re-coated. Fuji solved that problem by engineering each lens to malfunction after two years. The user will send the lens in to be repaired, and will be none the wiser when they receive the repaired lens with a re-coated rear element."

The secret behind GFX sharpness with native lenses

Last edited: