The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H6D Firmware Update

mkerouac

From Hasselblad's website. I'm sure owners would like to see more, but steady progress is being made.

H6D Firmware
In a firmware release for H6D that is planned for mid April, the following functions will be added:
• Technical Camera Support: Flash Sync
• Technical Camera Support: Pin hole
• Over-exposure warning
• Focus peaking in Live View mode
• Firmware update of camera body (CBC) via CIM le
• Full HTS support (including info on camera)
• Show histogram on grip display
• Reduction of power consumption in Tethered mode
• Language updates (corrections)
• Improved stability (mainly card handling)
• High priority bugs
• Standby/sleep mode locking out buttons, displays and sensor off (but power
still on) with short press of power button

The release after this is not yet planned in time but will focus on the following functions:
• Improve error handling
• Support power via USB
• CF Adapter Support
• Additional Technical Camera Support
• Set color temp based on gray capture
• Tethered: Browse memory card from Phocus
• Image Rating Support
• Pro le Support
• Advanced options for image storing (Backup + more)
• Audio Noti cations
• Improved HDMI Support
• Tethered: Camera con guration support from Phocus
• Create/Remove folder support

Product Management 2017-03-16

Paul2660

Interesting to see that Hasselblad was able to add Focus Peaking, something that I wish P1 could add to the 3100. To me it would be a great feature addition.

Paul Caldwell

jduncan

From Hasselblad's website. I'm sure owners would like to see more, but steady progress is being made.

H6D Firmware
In a firmware release for H6D that is planned for mid-April, the following functions will be added:
• Over-exposure warning
• High priority bugs
• Standby/sleep mode locking out buttons, displays, and sensor off (but power
still on) with the short press of power button

The release after this is not yet planned in time but will focus on the following functions:
• Improve error handling
• Support power via USB
• CF Adapter Support
• Image Rating Support
• Pro le Support
• Audio Noti cations
• Improved HDMI Support

I am very happy with this,
with all the action on the X1D series I was concerned that they will not have the bandwidth to update the H6D firmware as often.
It seems to be the other way around. I hope that it becomes a pattern: X series update, and then a few months later: H series update

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting to see that Hasselblad was able to add Focus Peaking, something that I wish P1 could add to the 3100. To me it would be a great feature addition.

Paul Caldwell

The 3 100 has peaking in review mode though, doesn't it?

Paul2660

The 3100 has the focus mask, which is only in review mode and in my experience is nothing like true focus peaking for fine focus determination. The only other camera that is non EVF equipped with focus peaking during live view capture is the Pentax K1 and Pentax 645Z. If you use Magic lantern on Canon camera, it's also possible.

Being able to zoom to 100% and have peaking (good and well delineated peaking like Sony has on their cameras) is a great asset at least for me. Especially in low light and or situations where you are working in bright outdoor light.

Paul Caldwell

michaelclark

H6D Firmware
In a firmware release for H6D that is planned for mid April, the following functions will be added:
• Over-exposure warning
• High priority bugs
• Standby/sleep mode locking out buttons, displays and sensor off (but power
still on) with short press of power button

• Improve error handling
• Support power via USB
• CF Adapter Support
• Image Rating Support
• Pro le Support
• Audio Noti cations
• Improved HDMI Support

Nice! That is a serious upgrade. Focus Peaking! Sweet.

hcubell

Is the "Overexposure Warning" in the form of blinkies in the jpeg preview that appears on the LCD after the exposure?

bernardl

This is good news indeed, both the fact that Hasselblad is sharing visibility and the progress.

Now, I am personally disappointed that power through USB, which is mandatory to use the H6D-100c back on a technical camera in the field, is not part of the April firmware update.

Cheers,
Bernard

Is the "Overexposure Warning" in the form of blinkies in the jpeg preview that appears on the LCD after the exposure?
I believe so, similar as with the older H5D. But to my knowledge the preview is not based on a JPEG conversion on the LCD but on the RAW directly. That's why the exposure histogram does not differ between the preview and on the final RAW development (as this is usually the case with 35mm DSLR's).

This is good news indeed, both the fact that Hasselblad is sharing visibility and the progress.

Now, I am personally disappointed that power through USB, which is mandatory to use the H6D-100c back on a technical camera in the field, is not part of the April firmware update.

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard,

On the release of the new firmware update in April, we will also communicate a suitable solution (other than supporting power via USB) for powering the back using a technical camera. Our developers are still working on the firmware update, however more information on this will follow in April.

We hope this information will be helpful to you.

Kind regards,
The Hasselblad Team

bernardl

On the release of the new firmware update in April, we will also communicate a suitable solution (other than supporting power via USB) for powering the back using a technical camera. Our developers are still working on the firmware update, however more information on this will follow in April.

We hope this information will be helpful to you.
Hello,

This is very good news, looking forward to that.

Regards,
Bernard

bab

If so it's not as useful as blinkies in raw, the histogram on the back now could be more accurate as it really does not represent overexposure in any one channel even when channels are pinned against the right wall unless it says overexposure.
Also because there is no sufficient way to control the green channel (suppress) from overexposing before the red or blue channel you really can't count on the raw file being exposed to the max without viewing the raw image after capture in a raw viewer program.
why Hasselblad does not want to include the option of a non-white-balanced raw histogram is beyond me.
Like digital distance readout in meters or feet to accurately set depth of field.
One touch auto bracketing to minimize camera shake.
Auto white balance to get closer than the offered preferences or measuring and setting manually.
Itergated focus stacking.
Or even to have Phocus able to preview raw images without importing them and waiting for 20 min for a hundred images to import only to have to wait another 20 min to export them?
These are little solutions that make selling cameras easy and making images better and faster.