The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF mount type

TsurTriger

What is the difference between Phase one Mamiya mount (works with P series) to Leaf Mamiya mount?
Does it the same mount type?

Paul2660

What is the difference between Phase one Mamiya mount (works with P series) to Leaf Mamiya mount?
Does it the same mount type?
They are all M645, (Mamiya 645) so the mount is interchangeable. A Mamiya 55 AF lens (old style non LS) will mount across the entire line up. A P1 lens will do the same.

There are some very old Mamiya lenses (as I recall some of the very fast old MF lenses) that will need something done to the lens mount to fit on the XF.

Mamiya goes back to film with their M645 mount, so they have a huge range of lenses out there. Leaf, only makes digital backs that I am aware of no lenses but share the M645 mount with P1. P1 purchased Mamiya several years ago, before that Mamiya made most if not all the P1 lenses (rebaged Mamiya lenses). Exception are the Blue Ring lenses, which are Schneider designs, but still made in Japan, (probably by Mamiya). Even though P1 states they are German. German designed, Japanese made.

Paul Caldwell

TsurTriger

Thanks.

But I talk about:
Leaf Digital back with Mamiya mount.
connector for digital back (tech camera) for Phase One Mamiya mount type. I know that this connector fit well for Phase One P series backs (p25, p40, p45 and etc).

Is it the same mount or I need Leaf Mamiya mount?

Paul2660

Thanks.

But I talk about:
connector for digital back (tech camera) for Phase One Mamiya mount type. I know that this connector fit well for Phase One P series backs (p25, p40, p45 and etc).

Digital back mounts would be the same if they are in the Mamiya mount.

Paul Caldwell

ErikKaffehr

Hi Paul,

Just to say, Mamiya used to make great lenses. It is a bit popular to set German labels on lenses made in the far east. I don't know about Phase One's Schneider lenses, but Sony's Zeiss lenses are designed by Sony and built in Japan. Zeiss may have some input on the design and the quality control, though.

Some of the Sony/Zeiss designs are throughly miserable: http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/901-sony1670f4oss?start=2

Photozone was not impressed by the Sony 24-70/4 ZA, but some owners like it a lot. Sample variations?
http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/867-zeiss2470f4oss?start=2

I would think that German lenses are a bit of a myth. It is great that Phase One improves quality control with it's blue ring lenses, but quality control doesn't mean better lenses, it just means that fewer lemons get to customers.

The best way may be:

• Design lenses that can be built with reasonable effort
  • Use the best available technology
  • Use precision gear
  • Do it right from the outset
  • Do the necessary QA steps

It may be that the company that is best at doing this may be Sigma. Not that I know, but it seems that they do a lot of things right…

Best regards
Erik

They are all M645, (Mamiya 645) so the mount is interchangeable. A Mamiya 55 AF lens (old style non LS) will mount across the entire line up. A P1 lens will do the same.

There are some very old Mamiya lenses (as I recall some of the very fast old MF lenses) that will need something done to the lens mount to fit on the XF.

Mamiya goes back to film with their M645 mount, so they have a huge range of lenses out there. Leaf, only makes digital backs that I am aware of no lenses but share the M645 mount with P1. P1 purchased Mamiya several years ago, before that Mamiya made most if not all the P1 lenses (rebaged Mamiya lenses). Exception are the Blue Ring lenses, which are Schneider designs, but still made in Japan, (probably by Mamiya). Even though P1 states they are German. German designed, Japanese made.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Hi Eric,

I would tend to agree.

Both the Phase/Schneider LS and LS blue ring lenses are "designed" by Schneider (at least that is the claim) but they are made in Japan, I will take a risk and state in the Mamiya plant that Phase now owns. (lenses all state "Made in Japan").

The optics however are excellent. And they seem to hold their value on the used market. I have picked up several of the LS and Blue Ring LS P1/Schneider lenses from my local dealer and they all have been excellent.

So far, the Fuji GF lenses I have used 32-64 and 120mm, are very impressive also.

Paul Caldwell

Steve Hendrix

Thanks.

But I talk about:

If you are asking what cable to use with Leaf digital back to go to tech camera (rather than the origins and performance of Zeiss lenses, thanks though, Erik!), then it depends on which Leaf back, If you mean Leaf Aptus, then the cable is this:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/sync-cable-short-for-phase-one-h-5-h-10-h-20-h-25/

If you mean Leaf Credo, then you need this one:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/sync-cable-long-for-phase-one-p-and-iq-backs/

If it is something different you're asking, please provide some more details.

Steve Hendrix/CI

TsurTriger

OK,
I explain it more clearly.
I bought a Credo with Mamiya mount.
I bought an adapter that the seller wrote to me the following sentence " Phase One Mamiya mount type"
I know that he was using it with Phase One P back.

Does Mamiya mount type is similar with all companies? (Phase one back with Mamiya mount uses the same adapter as Leaf back with Mamiya mount ?)

Steve Hendrix

OK,
I explain it more clearly.
I bought a Credo with Mamiya mount.
I bought an adapter that the seller wrote to me the following sentence " Phase One Mamiya mount type"
I know that he was using it with Phase One P back.

Does Mamiya mount type is similar with all companies? (Phase one back with Mamiya mount uses the same adapter as Leaf back with Mamiya mount ?)

Generally, yes, the Credo would mount to a tech camera via the same interface adapter that one would use with a Phase One digital back.

Steve Hendrix/CI

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For Alpa users I thought I'd share my experiences and help avoid confusion because there were several versions. With Alpa and Phase One / Leaf / Phase One XF mounts there have historically been three different plates that I'm aware of:

M645A - 190.030.012 - The original Leaf / Mamiya / Phase One mount
M645AB - 190.030.018 - Updated version of M645A which came out when the IQ series backs first appeared and had some extra tunability/tighter fit I believe - I never bothered to upgrade since for all intents and purposes it was the same as the M645A and this same plate also worked with the IQ3 series too.

M645 for XF/IQ3 - 190.035.011 - Same as M645AB but with a longer slot to accommodate the extra pins on the IQ3 series without compressing them on their springs (which they do anyway when mounted on an XF body btw).