The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best way to shoot tethered with FW800 on a macbook touchbar 2016 ?

archivue

my DB is FW800... but thank's anyway !

Get an older generation Fuji Lifebook Tablet computer, like the T5010, they have Firewire (4 pin) built in and full power Intel processors + touchscreen for tablet mode. Works great. I used mine with P65+. Cheap solution, too.

PM me for more info, if you need.

narikin

my DB is FW800... but thank's anyway !
So was my P65+, you simply get a FW800 to mini firewire adapter-lead, it works great, just no extra laptop power to the back. Use the back's own battery. Think I have a video somewhere of it in use.

I still have my top of the line Fuji T5010 in a drawer somewhere. (now using an IQ3100 with USB3 > Surface Pro 4) so PM me if you need one. I normally donate my old laptops to schools for needier students, but this was so special in its use I kept it.

I've been using tethered windows tablet-laptops on location before most anyone else picked up on it, (they only latched onto this with the Surface Pro machines) so trust me on this!

archivue

So was my P65+, you simply get a FW800 to mini firewire adapter-lead, it works great, just no extra laptop power to the back. Use the back's own battery.
impossible with an aptus... you can't use a cable and the battery at the same time !

archivue

owc thunderbolt 3 dock

STILL PRE-ORDERS SHIPPING SOON ;-(

it was supposed to arrived in december... march... may... never ?

archivue

Good news about the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock...Thunderbolt 3 Dock pre-orders are being fulfilled in the order they were placed.

Anyone tried to connect a DB via the FW800 yet ?

P. Chong

I use a Hasselblad/Imacon Flextight with my 2016 MacBook Pro via USB-C->Thunderbolt->Firewire without issues. It looks ridiculous but it works.
Can you please show a picture of this? I recently changed laptop from a Dell XPS Studio 16 to a HP Pavillon 15. Now I am trying to figure out how I can tether my H3D-30 with its FW800 port to the laptop. The Dell had the moni FW port. The HP does not.

jerome_m

Can you please show a picture of this? I recently changed laptop from a Dell XPS Studio 16 to a HP Pavillon 15. Now I am trying to figure out how I can tether my H3D-30 with its FW800 port to the laptop. The Dell had the moni FW port. The HP does not.
The adapter from Apple which has been described as "USB-C->Thunderbolt" is actually an adapter from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2. It will only work on USB-C ports which carry Thunderbolt 3 signals, which is probably not the case for your HP laptop. AFAIK, there is no way to connect a FW system to your laptop.

narikin

Get an older generation Fuji Lifebook Tablet computer, like the T5010, they have Firewire (4 pin) built in and full power Intel processors + touchscreen for tablet mode. Works great. I used mine with P65+. Cheap solution, too.

PM me for more info, if you need.
Can I just repeat this is a good working answer?

Around $200 will buy you a powerful dedicated laptop to tether to, that you can have C1 Pro DB on (for free). Full strength Intel processors, native mini firewire or full firewire via an adapter card. Pen controlled x-bright touchscreen. Put in an SSD and its lightning fast. On eBay you could find one for the same cost as some of these adapter kludges.

Appreciate many people are hooked on Apple products, but if you can see outside of that, there's a number of great Windows tethering solutions, that are ridiculously cheap.

jerome_m

It is a good working answer but the operating words here are "older generation". There is no way to add firewire to the recent models of these and if you are going to buy "older generation", you will also find notebooks with native firewire in the Apple world.

P. Chong

I just might have to resort to this. Any specific recommendations? Like make, model, etc? Yes, I am being lazy, but looking at tech specs is not my strong suit.

Can I just repeat this is a good working answer?

Around $200 will buy you a powerful dedicated laptop to tether to, that you can have C1 Pro DB on (for free). Full strength Intel processors, native mini firewire or full firewire via an adapter card. Pen controlled x-bright touchscreen. Put in an SSD and its lightning fast. On eBay you could find one for the same cost as some of these adapter kludges.

Appreciate many people are hooked on Apple products, but if you can see outside of that, there's a number of great Windows tethering solutions, that are ridiculously cheap.

narikin

It is a good working answer but the operating words here are "older generation". There is no way to add firewire to the recent models of these and if you are going to buy "older generation", you will also find notebooks with native firewire in the Apple world.
Which "older generation" apple notebook has a touchscreen on it? None.
Which "new generation" apple notebook has a touchscreen on it? None.

For tethered use, a pen or finger driven touchscreen is simply great. World of difference. That's one reason why so many people here are on Surface Pro machines, more than any other modern laptop - the interface. Fujitsu convertible laptops, (among others) offered this many years ago. By today's standards they are heavier and somewhat older, and therefore dirt cheap on eBay now, but they were made for outdoor use, with super bright screens, and work just great with C1 Firewire tethered. (I used one for 3 years, now on SP4)

narikin

I just might have to resort to this. Any specific recommendations? Like make, model, etc? Yes, I am being lazy, but looking at tech specs is not my strong suit.
Read above thread - Try a Fujitsu T5010 convertible. There's many others though.

jerome_m

For tethered use, a pen or finger driven touchscreen is simply great. World of difference. That's one reason why so many people here are on Surface Pro machines, more than any other modern laptop - the interface.
Good to know, but what I was pointing out was rather that Firewire is quickly becoming obsolete. People hoping to tether their MF cameras for another 5 years should take notice.

bomzi

Good to know, but what I was pointing out was rather that Firewire is quickly becoming obsolete. People hoping to tether their MF cameras for another 5 years should take notice.
I'm still hoping that Apple will release a tablet with a Thunderbolt port.
Otherwise, there are a number of Surface Pro clones that are looking pretty good.

MrSmith

Apple seem to be still selling a 2015 version of the MacBook pro with Thunderbolt/USB/SD reader/HDMI etc as a lower spec model. its in the apple store yet nobody seems to be mentioning it? i’m sure this model wasn’t there before. does the mean you can tether with a thunderbolt to FW800 dongle?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Apple seem to be still selling a 2015 version of the MacBook pro with Thunderbolt/USB/SD reader/HDMI etc as a lower spec model. its in the apple store yet nobody seems to be mentioning it? i’m sure this model wasn’t there before. does the mean you can tether with a thunderbolt to FW800 dongle?
Somebody seems to be listening at Apple. It wasn't there last time I checked, and it's the exact model that I'm using (mid 2014). I'm tempted to buy another one, since all my stuff is old style USB and SD cards. The one I have has seen plenty of abuse and won't last forever.

jerome_m

I'm still hoping that Apple will release a tablet with a Thunderbolt port.
That is unlikely. They don't even have TB in the smallest Macbook (the very flat 12" model). I think the reason is that the chipsets for TB needs to much power for this kind of devices.

Otherwise, there are a number of Surface Pro clones that are looking pretty good.
I don't think any of these can drive a firewire connection.

jerome_m

Apple seem to be still selling a 2015 version of the MacBook pro with Thunderbolt/USB/SD reader/HDMI etc as a lower spec model. its in the apple store yet nobody seems to be mentioning it? i’m sure this model wasn’t there before.
This model has been there since 2015.

does the mean you can tether with a thunderbolt to FW800 dongle?
Yes, that will work.