The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best way to shoot tethered with FW800 on a macbook touchbar 2016 ?

archivue

what's the best way to shoot tethered with FW800 on a macbook touchbar 2016 ?

FW800 HUB powered with battery ?
+
FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
+
Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter

? ouch !

any better solution ?

DSemick

Okay...I'll say it.

It's a kludge. According to Phase One, "until there is an approved functioning adapter, you have to use a powered hub to get USB or FW to the back".

I've recommended my shooters to not upgrade yet or buy the previous version if they absolutely need a laptop. We should see OWC's new hub soon. In theory, you can use an adapter to connect to their Thunderbolt Dock 2 to the laptop, but I haven't tried it yet.

Denny

bomzi

Okay...I'll say it.

It's a kludge. According to Phase One, "until there is an approved functioning adapter, you have to use a powered hub to get USB or FW to the back".

I've recommended my shooters to not upgrade yet or buy the previous version if they absolutely need a laptop. We should see OWC's new hub soon. In theory, you can use an adapter to connect to their Thunderbolt Dock 2 to the laptop, but I haven't tried it yet.

Denny
Would you know if it is possible to use a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Firewire to tether a P45+?

Thanks.

archivue

Okay...I'll say it.

Denny
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D4595%252B45b0
+
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D4595%252B45b0
+
http://www.unibrain.com/products/firerepeater-800-pro-5-ports/

but then, in the field, with an aptus, you have to find a way (battery) to powered the FW HUB...

maybe it's easier to buy a MACBOOK PRO 2012 just for that... remember that FW800 was an apple product...

bomzi

no you can't !
Yes I have also read that it is not possible to convert Firewire into USB.

I did read that you can convert Firewire into Thunderbolt which will also work with a USB-C port.
This means that any tablet with USB-C should work in the field.
I have my eye on this Asus machine (which appears to be a copy of the Surface Pro 4)
http://www.in.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/Asus-Transformer-3-Pro/articleshow/52611820.cms

I'm waiting to see if Microsoft announces any new Surface tablets. Perhaps they will have a USB-C type connector. The Asus machine looks great except for the battery.

MrSmith

Just another reason why Apple sucks in 2017.
USB-c is great, one interface that will connect and power everything.
Finally some joined up thinking on peripherals and connectivity.

Change can be painful but better in the long run.

MrSmith

no idea i’m afraid.
firewire was dropped 5 years ago by apple(not surprising really with the advent of usb-3)

JonMo

I use the iq3100 now but; when i was using the aptus backs i found that as soon as power for the back was pulled from the laptop (even those with FW800) it was very prone to errors. My solution was to use a firewire 800 cable with the power section externalized. I then connected this external plug to either; 1. in studio, a 12v 1.3a power adapter or a 12v camcorder battery when portable.

Taking the power strain away from the laptop allowed everything to work smoothly.

This is part of the reason it is recommend to use a FW repeater hub as the power for the back comes from the repeater and not the laptop connector.
The system would not perform at an acceptable level without it. Too many errors, lockups and failures. Even the repeaters were trial and error as they did not necessarily pass through enough power either.

This way even a FW600 or FW400 to FW800 cable could be use to attach to a laptop or tablet with the other FW plugs.

Now maybe the same system could be setup using an rc battery like that for a quadcopter, and the usb-c>thunderbolt2>firewire(with power injector wire).

Unfortunately I no longer have the aptus or the parts as they were sold long ago. No Pictures of the setup.

DSemick

Now maybe the same system could be setup using an rc battery like that for a quadcopter, and the usb-c>thunderbolt2>firewire(with power injector wire).
This made me think of a support call I received one time....

A gentleman phoned to troubleshoot his Aptus not connecting to his laptop. I quickly determined it was just a power issue. He said that he though so as well and that was why he downloaded the schematics to his Makita cordless drill charger and fashioned a FW connecter to it in an attempt to build his own powered hub.

It went in for a totally fried port

:shocked:

JonMo

Yes; please do not randomly plug things into your digital back!!!!!!!! :)

The power supply was specifically for that purpose. You can still get the dummy power kit from Phase. It includes power supply and adapter for the firewire port. I still use it in the iq3100 in the studio to power the back and get the data through the USB plug.

The battery was appropriate for the task. A request for a recommended battery rating could be made as this was not unusual in the past.

narikin

Would you know if it is possible to use a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Firewire to tether a P45+?

Thanks.
Get an older generation Fuji Lifebook Tablet computer, like the T5010, they have Firewire (4 pin) built in and full power Intel processors + touchscreen for tablet mode. Works great. I used mine with P65+. Cheap solution, too.

PM me for more info, if you need.