The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

i-phone holder... for RM3D... ?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Google "arca swiss rm3d" . Tech cam. Highly regarded. Ergonomics didn't feel good to me, but it has a lot of advantages - a very high precision helical, for one.

Godfrey

Ah, thank you.
And what would you be doing with an iPhone in the context of an RM3D that required an iPhone holder?

G

beano_z

what back are you using on the Arca?
...indeed, I was going to chip in, if you're planning on using Wi-Fi (or HDMI) and live view, then the RRS will be a nice option since with the micro ball head, you can adjust your iPhone to almost any angle, but if your back doesn't have this capability, then the iPhone must be properly aligned with your lens / camera, so your options will be limited, and I don't think even a hot shoe will be very accurate in terms of physical alignment, I get the feeling there's always lots of play possible.

I also remember (really long ago) there used to be a 3rd party iPhone holder called "something something moon", which was pretty nice and suitable for any platform, if I remember correctly.......not really helpful I know, but someone else might have the correct name :facesmack:

archivue

what back are you using on the Arca?
Aptus II 7 aka DM33

i've test the IQ160 and while the live view was fantastic... considering my use and my lenses, i wasn't completely convinced... and i can't afford an IQ300... so for architecture, i stick with the DM33 for now !

And considering how low is the business in south of france, i'm also considering going back to full frame... Nikon + PC-E...

I think i will go with the cambo : https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-1060/

daf

Aptus II 7 aka DM33

i've test the IQ160 and while the live view was fantastic... considering my use and my lenses, i wasn't completely convinced... and i can't afford an IQ300... so for architecture, i stick with the DM33 for now !

And considering how low is the business in south of france, i'm also considering going back to full frame... Nikon + PC-E...

I think i will go with the cambo : https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-1060/
Be carefull, you'll not be able to fix it to the arca, all system have their own plateform....arca fit on arca, alpa on alpa cambo on cambo...or you will need a custom adapter, no sure it is a good idea, you should just buy the arca one or the jlm one.

archivue

Be carefull, you'll not be able to fix it to the arca, all system have their own plateform....arca fit on arca, alpa on alpa cambo on cambo...or you will need a custom adapter, no sure it is a good idea, you should just buy the arca one or the jlm one.
there's no arca's iPhone holder...

The WRS-1095 Hot Shoe Adapter fits to the Wide RS and DS accessory shoe and allows for the use of Cambo's new accessories with two knob fixation such as the WRS-1060 iPhone holder, WRS-1090 Compendium and WRS-1080 Viewfinder.

The WRS-1095 is compatible with any camera body fitted with a hot shoe.

and this... https://www.arca-shop.de/de/weiteres-zubehoer/r-line-cold-shoe-adapter

it should do the trick !

the jlm one, where to buy it ?

Last edited:

Transposure

Rather than some large, unwieldy, contraption, I highly recommend the Schneider iPro case (and lenses if appropriate). The case is made by "Element Case", arguably the best iPhone case maker in the biz. Look them up.
the iPro case has 1/4-20 inserts (metal) on both sides of the case.

Simply screw in a hot shoe adapter, or otherwise, and voila. The added benefit is using "Artist's Viewfinder Mark II" app with the super wide lens for the iPro. It will allow you to simulate the field of view for many tech cam lenses. And, it has real time processing of lens distortion. In effect correcting for the super wide angle lens barrel distortion on the fly! Super cool.

some shots...

Attachments

stephengilbert

It looks like the iPro case is threaded at the midpoint of the case. Ideally, you'd want to be able to place the iPhone's lens at the center of the camera so that it is not offset from the lens. The ALPA and Arca allow for this placement. See ALPA SDH Mk II iPhone-Halter

Transposure

It looks like the iPro case is threaded at the midpoint of the case. Ideally, you'd want to be able to place the iPhone's lens at the center of the camera so that it is not offset from the lens. The ALPA and Arca allow for this placement. See ALPA SDH Mk II iPhone-Halter

I knew new someone would point that out. LOL
I left out this part that I use with the case....
It puts the lens smack dab on the centerline. For $20.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071434-REG/vello_se_200_6_cold_shoe_extension.html

image.jpeg

archivue

Rather than some large, unwieldy, contraption, I highly recommend the Schneider iPro case (and lenses if appropriate). The case is made by "Element Case", arguably the best iPhone case maker in the biz. Look them up.
First i was in the process to buy it, while i think that it's a great case, and the fact that you can use the same lens on different models suits me... but considering the support itself, i want something more precise this time.

daf

The only point using an iphone+holder as a viewfinder, is to have an accurate view of your final frame.
And the only way to have this accurate level of view framing is to use a dedicated iphone holder.
With any other system, you ll never be sure that your holder is well align, and so you'll loose all the benefit it should brings. In this case you'd better stay with optical finder...or go for a dedicated one.