The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparing resolution

jerome_m

An exercise for our distraction. I took 7 cameras tested on dpreview and tried their studio scene comparison tool. I took a 100% sample with fine details and mounted the 7 samples side by side. Then I masked the top lines with the cameras name. Can you tell which cameras have the biggest sensors?

All the cameras have more than 35 millions pixels. All pictures taken at ISO100.

7cameras_hidden.jpg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think that it's about time for DPReview to update their reference image from the IQ180 with one from an IQx100. That should help sort out the men from the boys again. :facesmack:

ejpeiker

In order 7, 1, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5

To my eyes 7 is clearly the best and 5 clearly the worst. I could argue the ranking of some of the ones in between. Aren't these all shot with different lenses though...

Last edited:
I would say:

- 1. place is the last one. I guess the XF100, best resolution and also biggest sensor
- 2. place is the second one. Could be Pentax K1 (pixel shift), which is really nice, considering the small sensor and lesser "on paper" resolution.

jerome_m

Strange, if I look at the test scenes of Dpreview, there are two PhaseOne cameras in the list: the IQ 180 and the XF with 100MP
You are right. I did not notice they added the IQ100 (on an XF body) to their comparison tool. The IQ100 resolves the smaller print much better than any sample in my comparison however... but that is normal, as my comparison is between cameras having between 36 and 50 mega pixels (but then of different sensor sizes).

You need to click at the image I posted a few times to see it at 100%.

LSGreen

7 looks the sharpest, but not likely the largest sensor. Whichever has the highest pixel density. Haven't looked at the list of cameras, but I'd guess 7 is from the smallest sensor. Largest sensor is likely the blurriest of the images.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Interesting stuff...

I find number 7 sharpest, followed by number 3 that I feel is very clean, number four aliases and number 5 is not sharp. I would prefer number 3 to number 2.

I am quiet a bit surprised that no colour aliasing is seen in the white on black part of any image. Most cameras I have seen alias on the fine text.

Are the samples "jpegs" or "raws"?

Best regards
Erik

Last edited: