The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparing resolution

dchew

Hi,

I am quiet a bit surprised that no colour aliasing is seen in the white on black part of any image. Most cameras I have seen alias on the fine text.

Are the samples "jpegs" or "raws"?

Best regards
Erik
Me too Erik. If I go to the page on DPReview and compare a few selecting RAW, I see a lot of aliasing in that white on black text. Perhaps there was some other post-processing applied.

In general I can't get my head around these comparisons. In order to see similar scale as these are, some resampling/resizing up and/or down has to be done. I suspect we are at a quality level where that action affects what we see. Even at the relatively small difference between 36 and 50 mp. Not to mention what the graphics card / screen does itself to render images that are not exactly 100% pixel to pixel. I'm not smart enough to figure all that out so I try to avoid thinking about it.
:loco:

Dave

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Forum software often rescale the images. So, sometimes I set up the images on mty server and post a link. The viewer still needs to get them into actual pixels view.

Best regards
Erik

Me too Erik. If I go to the page on DPReview and compare a few selecting RAW, I see a lot of aliasing in that white on black text. Perhaps there was some other post-processing applied.

In general I can't get my head around these comparisons. In order to see similar scale as these are, some resampling/resizing up and/or down has to be done. I suspect we are at a quality level where that action affects what we see. Even at the relatively small difference between 36 and 50 mp. Not to mention what the graphics card / screen does itself to render images that are not exactly 100% pixel to pixel. I'm not smart enough to figure all that out so I try to avoid thinking about it.
:loco:

Dave

jerome_m

I am quite a bit surprised that no colour aliasing is seen in the white on black part of any image. Most cameras I have seen alias on the fine text.

Are the samples "jpegs" or "raws"?
The samples are all "jpegs" and indeed they show less aliasing than the raw samples.

jdphoto

You missed the first sentence in the first post: "An exercise for our distraction." ;)
No, I read that part, but it seems this could be considered part of that distraction. I mean, a majority of these threads are about comparing something to another. While I appreciate your intention, I think its only result might be is how much cool stuff DP Review has on their site.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Well, DPReview is one of the very few sites that post properly executed raw files on comparable subjects. The other one I kinow of is Imaging Resource.

Best regards
Erik

No, I read that part, but it seems this could be considered part of that distraction. I mean, a majority of these threads are about comparing something to another. While I appreciate your intention, I think its only result might be is how much cool stuff DP Review has on their site.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
#2 is finest followed by #7. #2 is also rendered slightly lower magnification than the others, and then holds resolution down in a much cleaner fashion. So my guess is it's the highest resolution and has great glass -- or most accurately the smallest pixel pitch and great glass -- then 7 is somewhere close behind on both.