The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ming Thein Appointed as Chief of Strategy at Hasselblad

hcubell

Very interesting. Given Ming's impressive skill set and varied experiences in the business world and the photography world, this is an outside the box hiring that is far too rare to see in the world of camera manufacturers. I think it speaks volumes that Hasselblad is headed in the right direction with the new ownership.

https://diglloyd.com/index.html

Last edited:

DougDolde

I was kind of surprised that Ming claimed Hasselblad GAVE him a H5D-100C as a "door prize" when he visited them. Maybe he wasn't kidding.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think Ming is a great photographer, exceptional writer and very clear and capable thinker. Hasselblad has snapped up a resource which I am sure will prove the envy of its competitors. I wish them and him the best of luck.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is terrific news . Ming is an ideal addition to HB s team with his back ground in consulting/investment banking and his passion for photography . He will surely move HB in the right direction. Congratulations to him !

hcubell

I can't tell if this is a part-time consulting position or a full time job. Will his blog continue? He is a very thoughtful guy. I have been always impressed by his insightfulness.

Jan

Good, first thing he can do is to kick the local importer in the butt for a couple of reasons ....

malmac

Australia is one country that could do with better service from the local importer.

Many calls to them and they did not even have the courtesy to reply. I even went to their Brisbane HQ and asked the rep to call me - no response -

Funny that we now own Phase One......... I like HB but Australia may need better service before many like me try again.

Mal
Australia

Jan

Local Importer for which country? :)

John
His own country, Malaysia ;-)
I am (like MT) Kuala Lumpur based. Shriro is the importer but one has the feeling for them it is just another asset in their already large portfolio.

Out of curiosity, are you Dutch? Only in my native language I am used to see the 'tje' addition to a word.

Jan

Australia is one country that could do with better service from the local importer.

Many calls to them and they did not even have the courtesy to reply. I even went to their Brisbane HQ and asked the rep to call me - no response -

Funny that we now own Phase One......... I like HB but Australia may need better service before many like me try again.

Mal
Australia
Let me guess ... Shriro ?

KeithL

A photographer employed as Chief of Strategy by a photographic equipment manufacturer?

Whatever next? Cameras with cabled releases? Lenses with DOF scales? Firmware with comprehensive auto ISO setups?

;-)

DB5

This is extraordinarily great news. Ming is a good guy and knows his stuff. I have been reading his blog for years and am amazed how he responds to every comment with care. He is perfectly suited to the role.

Jan

A photographer employed as Chief of Strategy by a photographic equipment manufacturer?

Whatever next? Cameras with cabled releases? Lenses with DOF scales? Firmware with comprehensive auto ISO setups?

;-)
Check MT's bio. There's a bit more to it than a just a photographer.

V

Vivek

Interesting bio.

It is also interesting to note the progression of Hasselblad, trying fool everyone with their "stellars" and "lunars" to quite original mirrorless cams in an X1D.

KeithL

Of course, but as far as I'm concerned the really heartening news is that there is now an experienced photographer as Chief of Strategy.

MrSmith

not a huge fan of his work and the role of ‘blogger’ often seems to favour the narcissism rather than sharing side of PR* but if it means better products from HB then its a good thing.
any photographer good enough to have any real insight would be too busy to take up the role (and why swap a camera for a boardroom?) so somebody with business and PR experience is probably a better fit.

*lensrantals and Phillip Bloom are ones doing it right.