The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pano stitching in CS4

J

jmvdigital

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on a strange phenomenon I've found when stitching some images lately. I'm using the Automate>Photomerge function in CS4. I've found that in the shadows, it creates a very strange "noise" pattern that is not in the original. After some sleuthing, I found that the noise would completely go away if you put something (anything) on a layer below all your stitched layers. I used a solid black background, but it seems anything takes the "noise" away. It appears to be a strange transparency issue below a certain RGB level (e.g., only in shadows), and it's not caused by the layer masks that Photomerge creates. I can't explain, but I can fix it. Be sure to check your stitches.

Before and after below.

Last edited:
J

jmvdigital

Another example from a different image.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Weird. Never saw that in any of my CS4 panos, but now I'm mostly using AutoPano Pro so a non-issue for me. Anyway, good find and thanks for sharing.

Don Libby

I just finished doing a couple test panos all using CS4 and have never seen this before. Do you open photomerge directly from Bridge or in Photoshop. Using Bridge allows you to merge in 16bit which is what I normally do.

Don

J

jmvdigital

Don-

I do it straight in Photoshop (File>Automate>Photomerge), which also let me merge these 16-bit TIFFs I output from C1.

routlaw

I just finished doing a couple test panos all using CS4 and have never seen this before. Do you open photomerge directly from Bridge or in Photoshop. Using Bridge allows you to merge in 16bit which is what I normally do.

Don
Don are saying CS 4 will not allow you to stitch in 16 bit mode? If so thats sort odd given that CS 3 which I am still using allows 16 bit merges.

Regardless have not ever experienced any anomalies in CS 3 when merging.

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
CS4 PM runs 16-bit files directly, I do it (or at least used to) all the time. Like Justin, I convert all in C1 to 16-bit tiffs, open them in CS4 then run PhotoMerge on all open files...