The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color Reproduction Guide for CH - Feedback Requested

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Digital Transitions is requesting feedback (positive or negative, major or minor) on our draft Color Reproduction Guide for Cultural Heritage.

This guide addresses color reproduction in the context of solutions provided by the Digital Transitions Division of Cultural Heritage (i.e. DT benches, Phase One hardware, Capture One CH, basICColor, XRite, Eizo). It is primarily aimed at library, museum, and gallery shooters but will also be of relevance to anyone doing color-critical work such as fine art reproduction.

Note that the guide is meant to be read straight through, but two summary pages at the back provide a brief overview of the step-by-step process of ensuring accurate tone and color with our systems.

As with our Digitization Program Planning Guide this new document will benefit enormously from community input. We greatly appreciate any and all feedback members here might provide.

Feedback can be emailed to me.

Stuart Richardson

Thank you Doug, it looks like it will be very useful. I will have a look. I am not currently using your setup, but I do art work reproduction, scanning and exhibition printing, so it is in my wheelhouse.

Digital Transitions is requesting feedback (positive or negative, major or minor) on our draft Color Reproduction Guide for Cultural Heritage.

This guide addresses color reproduction in the context of solutions provided by the Digital Transitions Division of Cultural Heritage (i.e. DT benches, Phase One hardware, Capture One CH, basICColor, XRite, Eizo). It is primarily aimed at library, museum, and gallery shooters but will also be of relevance to anyone doing color-critical work such as fine art reproduction.

Note that the guide is meant to be read straight through, but two summary pages at the back provide a brief overview of the step-by-step process of ensuring accurate tone and color with our systems.

As with our Digitization Program Planning Guide this new document will benefit enormously from community input. We greatly appreciate any and all feedback members here might provide.

Feedback can be emailed to me.

Craig Stocks

Thanks for sharing the info. I do occasional flat art reproduction work for artist friends but not nearly enough to justify a dedicated stand or C1-CH. My process is very similar to what you outline using bespoke profiles, XF3100, flash and LCC, but I have been using a standard ColorChecker and ProPhoto RGB values. My goal is slightly different too. Rather than a technical match I frequently have to make adjustments so that reproduction prints match the colors of the original and some painters are VERY sensitive to color.

I do have a question though; why do you specify Adobe RGB 1998 rather than ProPhoto RGB? It's not unusual for oil and acrylic paintings to have colors that are out of gamut for my Epson 9900 so they would probably also be out of gamut for Adobe RGB 1998. It seems that by starting with the smaller color space you run the risk of compressing colors early in the process and loosing the option to make informed decisions later.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you Doug, it looks like it will be very useful. I will have a look. I am not currently using your setup, but I do art work reproduction, scanning and exhibition printing, so it is in my wheelhouse.
Your feedback is welcome regardless of whether you are currently using our system. In fact it might be more valuable than a current expert user of our system as you'll have fresh eyes and can provide feedback as to whether the instructions are clear to someone who knows the topic, but not the specific software in question.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks for sharing the info. I do occasional flat art reproduction work for artist friends but not nearly enough to justify a dedicated stand or C1-CH. My process is very similar to what you outline using bespoke profiles, XF3100, flash and LCC, but I have been using a standard ColorChecker and ProPhoto RGB values. My goal is slightly different too. Rather than a technical match I frequently have to make adjustments so that reproduction prints match the colors of the original and some painters are VERY sensitive to color.
Indeed, once you add monitor viewing, printing and a subjective client into the equation the number of variables greatly increases.

One thing to consider (not addressed in the guide) is the relationship between your capture illumination and your proofing illumination. When using strobe for capture illumination it is not possible to use the same illumination for proofing.

A lot of repro folks still use old GTI proofing booths, many of which are old CFL technology and which have surprisingly poor spectrums for something billed as a "proofing booth" or worse just use whatever room lighting they have or stand by a window. Many of our clients now use DT Photon illumination for both capture and proofing; not only is the light extremely high in CRI/CQS using the same light for both purposes eliminates one (very important) variable from the color matching/reproduction/approval process.

In any case I'd argue (pretty strongly) that getting a highly consistent starting point is still of great value, even when subjective ("client is always right") changes are required downstream. With a consistent starting point such changes can often be made by Color Editor modification which can then be rolled into a preset or style and reapplied when similar situations arise in the future (e.g. to satisfy a particular artist you need to shift red toward yellow by 2.3 points). It's not always this simple or consistent, but every bit helps.

Parts of the above are discussed in our lighting webinar.

I do have a question though; why do you specify Adobe RGB 1998 rather than ProPhoto RGB? It's not unusual for oil and acrylic paintings to have colors that are out of gamut for my Epson 9900 so they would probably also be out of gamut for Adobe RGB 1998. It seems that by starting with the smaller color space you run the risk of compressing colors early in the process and loosing the option to make informed decisions later.
I agree entirely. Research on this topic done by Dr. Roy Berns (RIT) confirm that artist paints often exceed smaller color spaces. The use in this document of Adobe 1998 in the various examples is specific to it's prevalence in the specific community we serve. Partly that prevalence is due to the 2010 version of the FADGI Guidelines (page 46) which specifically recommended Adobe 1998; the recently released 2016 FADGI guidelines are more accepting of either Adobe 1998, ECIRGBv2, and Prophoto profiles). I did not include any discussion of this in the guide, but your comment/question makes me think maybe we should include a paragraph or two about this (it is an intro document, but a light discussion might still fit).

If you want to really go down the rabbit hole we sell an Image Science Associates Artist Paint Target which is basically a target with the patches missing, and magnetic blank patches which you can paint (with actual paint relevant to a specific artist). We (or you if you have the skills and gear) can then measure those patches and create a Capture One overlay that has the nominal values for those patches in your desired color space. This custom target can then be included instead of or in addition to a Color Checker or ISA target, and you can use programs like SpectraShop to simulate the effect of different color spaces on that color and anticipate metameric failure under different illuminants. None of this is really something I'd recommend for someone who only does repro occasionally as there are obviously diminishing returns with this far greater effort.

RandB

If you want to really go down the rabbit hole we sell an Image Science Associates Artist Paint Target which is basically a target with the patches missing, and magnetic blank patches which you can paint (with actual paint relevant to a specific artist). We (or you if you have the skills and gear) can then measure those patches and create a Capture One overlay that has the nominal values for those patches in your desired color space. This custom target can then be included instead of or in addition to a Color Checker or ISA target, and you can use programs like SpectraShop to simulate the effect of different color spaces on that color and anticipate metameric failure under different illuminants. None of this is really something I'd recommend for someone who only does repro occasionally as there are obviously diminishing returns with this far greater effort.[/QUOTE]

Artist paint manufacturers frequently provide color charts of their wares, made up of color swatches (rather than photographic representations) of the
tints. These can even include a range of each color's strengths, from un-to-very diluted, in a single swatch. Perhaps these skillfully crafted swatches could be be fused with the magnetic blank patches to speed production of the Capture One overlay or expand its usefulness or both. At any rate, I have used such swatches within various 3D painting applications to replicate color effects in all sorts of lighting conditions. So perhaps they would help replicate analogue paintings.

Randy Bufano