The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which is your preferred lens while using a technical camera?

algrove

I realize this is very subjective and perhaps too general a question, but would like to hear what others (who shoot portraits with their tech cams) are doing for lens choices.

On my XF for portrait, I would use my 110, 150 or 240.

Yes, I might dig deeper into Dante's world.

Last edited:
The consensus for architecture and landscape would be 32HR-W, 50HR-W and 90HR-SW.

For myself (specifically for long exposure), I pick 23HR-S, 40HR-W and 75XL (72XL) because these are filter-friendly and light-weighted.

Most people would start from deciding the widest lens (by questioning himself what he shoots), and build up his set from there.

Portrait? I have no idea... I'm so lazy that I prefer Canikon, only because I like good coverage of crosstype AF points for the delicious bokehliciousness...

Jamgolf

I have not seen too many portraits shared in the "Techincal Camera Images" thread.
The few I remember have been shot with 90HRSW and SK120.

Post #1902 here has a couple of informal examples shared by forum member wentbackward.

Also forum members Dan Lindberg and shortpballer have posted some portrait images, that I can remember.
You can serach by User Name and you might be able to find those images.

Personally I'd pick a dedicated portrait lens to get the bokeh. If that means using a non tech camera lens, via an adapter then I personally would look into it (if I was interested in portraiture via techcam).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The "easy trio" proposed for large format by Sinar a long time ago, was a "prime" equal to the diagonal of the format, a "wide" equal to the short side of the format, and a "tele" equal to 2x-3x the long side of the format. It has always been my goto formula and still holds very closely for me -- even for digital of any size sensor :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Fascinating ... for my Actus db+ with IQ3100 I ended up settling on my preferred lenses of 40HR, 70hr and SK120 or 150. I guess there's some astute observation there by Sinar. I dare say that there's some golden ratio/Fibonacci karma going on there somewhere

dchew

I had the 40/70/150 combo for a while. I'm morphing a little longer to 60/90/150, with a 35xl for the occasional wide stuff. Some of this depends on how often you want to stitch.

Dave

The "easy trio" proposed for large format by Sinar a long time ago, was a "prime" equal to the diagonal of the format, a "wide" equal to the short side of the format, and a "tele" equal to 2x-3x the long side of the format. It has always been my goto formula and still holds very closely for me -- even for digital of any size sensor :)
This looks like the justification of a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for 35mm format...

Geoff

Fascinating ... for my Actus db+ with IQ3100 I ended up settling on my preferred lenses of 40HR, 70hr and SK120 or 150. I guess there's some astute observation there by Sinar. I dare say that there's some golden ratio/Fibonacci karma going on there somewhere
Its not Sinar - it's an old formula.

Was using 35, 55, 90, 150, but moving to 60 and 120, using stitching to fill the gaps. Less gear to carry.

Last edited:

danlindberg

I use three lenses, Alpagon 32hr + Helvetar 75 + Schneider 120. This trio covers everything I want to do in my preferred fields of photogrpahy.

The 32 is wide enough (with Credo 60 sensorsize) for my architectural interiors. And wide enough for one exposure landscapes.
The Helvetar 75 is an excellent allrounder for architectural exteriors and landscapes. Doubles as an outstanding macrolens as well. I do not hesitate to use this lens for tabletop/still life.
The Schneider 120 for slightly compressed landscapes. Yes, I have tried more than ones to do portraits with the 120, results are great but it really is quite difficult and you need to have an understanding model.
All three lenses can handle up to 15mm rise/fall which gives me great creative freedom.

archivue

with a 36x48 sensor...

a trio ?
28 / 45 / 72
but i use
28 / 35 / 45 / 55 / 72 / 90

just one lens for personal work ? i will go for a 40... or a 50 for larger back !

beano_z

To save cost and weight, I started out with a pretty wide spread in focal length: 32, 90 and 180 and since I shoot very slowly anyway, I've been able to get by with stitching when slightly wider shots were favourable with each lens.

Lately, because I wanted to shoot interior architecture (often in small spaces) I've added the 23, worked like a charm for that purpose, but haven't used it for anything else really.

My most used lens is definitely the 32, because I shoot a lot of cityscapes, however, I found when shooting landscape, especially big scenery, the most used lens becomes the 90, followed buy the 180 (and both handle stitching effortlessly because of their large image circles). I found that a 6-image stitch (rise and fall 15mm, left and right 18mm) with the 90 gives me a similar field of view as a 50~60 lens (not scientific, just eyeballing it), which I do find for my type of shooting more convenient than having the carry an extra 50mm lens.

algrove

Thanks for all your comments. Now that I am set on a WA, my next choice will be a long lens as I seldom ever use my 80mm lens with my XF.

Schneider 150 (used)or Roddy 180 (new) becomes the question. Weight and length could be limitations.

dnercesian

On my Actus DB2 I shoot the Rodie 32mm, 90mm, and 180mm on the IQ3100. I am currently still in test shoots for a portrait project I am working on, but I must say that we are squared away with that 180mm lens. The 90mm is great too, but the working distance is not so great for portraits, and the compression on the 180mm is fantastic. Highly recommend.

Here is a recent test shot:

Jamgolf

On my Actus DB2 I shoot the Rodie 32mm, 90mm, and 180mm on the IQ3100. I am currently still in test shoots for a portrait project I am working on, but I must say that we are squared away with that 180mm lens ... and the compression on the 180mm is fantastic. Highly recommend.
Which Reodentsock 180mm are you using?
Is it the HR Digaron-S with 80mm image circle?

algrove

I find this confusing that two examples of the same 180 lens are offered. Which 180 lens is the BEST for the 100MP sensor?

dnercesian

Which Reodentsock 180mm are you using?
Is it the HR Digaron-S with 80mm image circle?
Yes, it is that one, the latest with the 80mm IC. But I have to say that the IC is a bit confusing to me because I have shifted this lens much further than I thought I would be able to and have had no problem at all. Of course this is not a scientific test but an opinion based on what I have seen. If you guys are concerned at all, I would be happy to take some test shots shifted out to the extremes for you to evaluate.

JohnBrew

On my Actus DB2 I shoot the Rodie 32mm, 90mm, and 180mm on the IQ3100. I am currently still in test shoots for a portrait project I am working on, but I must say that we are squared away with that 180mm lens. The 90mm is great too, but the working distance is not so great for portraits, and the compression on the 180mm is fantastic. Highly recommend.

I love this shot. My Arca-Swiss focusing table (I have the APO 180) lists 12 ft minimum shooting distance and Rodenstock lists 4.0 m so I guess that is close enough.
Obviously your shot was in studio, but may I ask what was your shooting distance?

For this thread, my other lenses are the 40HR and 70HR.