The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arches N.P. closed 7pm to 7am Sun-Thurs

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thought I'd post this in case anyone has a trip planned to Moab, Utah (since for many it's on the way to Ken and Don's upcoming workshop). Because of major road construction all roads in the Park are closed from 7pm to 7am Sun - Thurs. Apparently they are open normally Fri and Saturday night. Currently sunrise is at 7am and sunset is at 7:45. More info here.

Don Libby

Thanks Wayne for the heads up; we had planned on being there late June for nightscape photography so now we'll need to look at other places. Good thing the rest of Moab is open

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
There's always Canyonlands up the road (or down the road too) and Dead Horse Point.
yep, still plenty of beautiful places to shoot. and it sounds like a couple of days a week arches is still doable at sunset/sunrise, although I think I read they were going to put some restrictions on night shooting at some of the locations.

My favorite place to shoot sunset is Green River Overlook in Canyonlands, with Grand View a close second. Get there early, find a nice quite place to eat a sandwich. About as peaceful and breathtaking as it gets. Dead Horse Point is fantastic at sunrise, and of course everyone knows about Mesa arch. Also if you are in for a little hike, False Kiva trail starts a little past green river overlook turnout.

And you can head up out of town along the colorado and get some good stuff including Fischer towers, or over into the LaSalles. On the way from Moab to Monument Valley it's pretty easy to hit "House on Fire" ruin, easy hike, best time to shoot it around 10 or so in the morning.

That's just for starters if you are headed through Moab :)

jng

Yes there are certainly many great locations in the area. Here's a scan of an early morning photo I took at Dead Horse Point in late summer of 1978, shot on Ektachrome Pro in Superslide format using a Hasselblad SWC. My two regrets are that I didn't shoot this in full 6x6 format and waited ca. 35 years to scan the film (it seems there was some degradation of image quality over the years - a print I had made in the mid-80's - and still hanging on my wall - is much cleaner).

Dead Horse Point, 1978
by John Ngai, on Flickr

Last edited: