The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D v. Fuji GFX: Who Has Used Both?

We should remember that nobody needs to justify their choices, the image is what should ultimately do the talking, not the kit used to take it in my opinion. I have a vague interest that fellow photographers enjoy what they use and buy what allows them to produce the work they want to produce but beyond that, I don't think anyone really cares what others use.
Well if I lurk in a gear forum and keep posting in gear topics then this is not very convincing...

This might a good example of tone and intention lost to the internet. I think what speedgraphic was implying, imo, was that the X1D is "semi capable" in that it doesn't do all things photographic. Nothing more. What camera does? I think, cosmetically speaking, that the GFX looks like a mini van and the X1D looks like a Porsche.
I strongly prefer the look of X1D over the GFX, and after reading through diglloyd's reviews I'd prefer the X1D if I'm to choose without demonstrations in shops.

Getting to be like the old days of Canon vs Nikon!

Can't we all just get along? Some may like the Hasselblad while others may choose the Fuji, sorry Algrove but Phase is just out of this league $ wise.
Well I guess that's not easy. One needs to defend his love in a gear so to prevent himself from selling it too soon or getting buyer's remorse. Forum consensus may also have an impact on second-hand re-sales value in the future. At least that's what happens elsewhere other than this forum.

It is actually you that has the problem here, not me, because you simply can't accept the description of MY experience in using the GFX. My point, which I stand by, is that the GFX is versatile and has lots of "features" and buttons and dials (e.g., White Balance bracketing, ISO bracketing, and a multitude of ways to configure JPEgs), but using it was, FOR ME, like driving a minivan. Minivans are great to transport lots of people and cargo, but I don't think anyone who has driven a minivan has ever described it as a particularly enjoyable driving experience. Of course, your experience with minivans may be different. Perhaps you have a minivan and I hit a raw nerve.
Now, as to who is being snide and petty, you need to take a look in the mirror. You describe the X1D as a camera that was "designed to be a beautiful, semi-capable thing", implying that anyone who buys one is a shallow, superficial individual who is only concerned with the physical appearance of things. I think your biases have become completely apparent. There is a lot of anger, resentment and disdain dripping from those comments. You won't admit it here, but you know it.
You have me all wrong on mini-vans. I lost my virginity in one! :thumbup:

I've just been seeing a lot of people pointing their nose up at the GFX over things like "features" and "versatility". As a Rolleiflex user (and general fan of fixed lens, purpose built medium format film cameras), I completely understand why the X1D is an appealing camera, but I don't go around calling Hasselblad's mini-vans just because I prefer one over the other. You just can't, with a straight face, call an MFD mirrorless a minivan (vs a 911) and expect people to take it in any way other than as derision. Personally I respect both equally and can't wait to see what people do with them.

I also don't know why you think I'm so angry, I have been enjoying this conversation quite a bit.

Ahh, Maine! One of my favorite locations. I've spent many summers on Swan's Island and rented a house near Orono on the Penobscot. I'm still in New England but long for the rocky coast. I was part of a crew that sailed a Tartan 37 up the Atlantic and remembering passing Portland very well. We had strong wind and waves that night and you could see the milky way to each horizon. Luminescence was everywhere in the water, breaking over the bow in a liquid light show that was simply magical. Maine is a special place indeed. I hope to find a shake covered cape nestled on the coast someday...I also shoot film, it inspires me.
Maine is beautiful! We just spent 8 years living in Brooklyn NY, but were ready for a change. The rocky coast lines and slightly rough around the edges vibe up here was just right. I've been shooting like crazy, and I got a Jobo CPE2 so I can run my own E6. This place just screams for 6x7 Velvia.

jdphoto

Maine is beautiful! We just spent 8 years living in Brooklyn NY, but were ready for a change. The rocky coast lines and slightly rough around the edges vibe up here was just right. I've been shooting like crazy, and I got a Jobo CPE2 so I can run my own E6. This place just screams for 6x7 Velvia.
Yeah, I bet! Got a Jobo too. The mysterious coastal Maine winter and B/W...perfect!.

Jeffg53

You probably need to be logged into Facebook and a member of Hasselblad User Group to see it. It is the picture of the collar for the adapter.
Which particular Hasselblad group would that be? I avoid FB user groups like the plague. Banal images of packaging and bookshelves strain my patience fairly quickly.

SrMphoto

Which particular Hasselblad group would that be? I avoid FB user groups like the plague. Banal images of packaging and bookshelves strain my patience fairly quickly.
I hear you :). FB group "Fan page - Hasselblad x1d user group" is not that bad, so far.

Christopher

Oh dear, a X1D a 911.... this statement can only be made if you either never used a X1D or driven a 911...

A 911 would be ashamed if it got compared to a semi finished product like the X1D.

The GFX is certainly no 911 either. Perhaps a GTR, but not really.

Back to the topic. I have used both and after a week I knew the X1D just isn't good enough or brings anything interesting to the table. Another point I dislike a lot is that there is no real tele option in sight. ( it works better if you own H glass )

With the GFX I already have a nice 180 tele and I'm currently looking in even longer options. Same for ultra wide angles.

So overall both are great cameras, the GFX is just much more interesting to me.

All in all this might all change once a Nikon or Sony with 65+ comes out.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Christopher,

Can you explain about 180 mm? I possibly associate to the Apo Telyt…

Best regards
Erik

Oh dear, a X1D a 911.... this statement can only be made if you either never used a X1D or driven a 911...

A 911 would be ashamed if it got compared to a semi finished product like the X1D.

Back to the topic. I have used both and after a week I knew the X1D just isn't good enough or brings anything interesting to the table. Another point I dislike a lot is that there is no real tele option in sight. ( it works better if you own H glass )

With the GFX I already have a nice 180 tele and I'm currently looking in even longer options. Same for ultra wide angles.

rmatthews

This thread has really set the cat among the pigeons. I totally understand people wanting to defend their purchases but don't at all get why that has to be done by talking down other products

BANKER1

This thread has really set the cat among the pigeons. I totally understand people wanting to defend their purchases but don't at all get why that has to be done by talking down other products
When this thread was opened, and I saw its title, I knew exactly where it was going to lead.

hcubell

1. Well, you completely missed the point of my analogy. I was NOT equating the X1D to a 911. I was equating the pleasure I got from operating a beautifully designed tool to the pleasure one would get from driving a sports car that handles beautifully on the road, and comparing it to the experience of driving a minivan. Sorry if you don't get it.
2. You state that the X1D "just isn't good enough." Surely you can be more specific. Good enough for what? I have historically used medium format equipment. A Pentax 67, a Mamiya 7, and then Hasselblad and Phase One cameras and backs. Here's how I use them. I walk, hike or drive around until I find something interesting to photograph. I decide how to compose a photograph. I meter. I focus. I expose. All of my equipment to date has offered very basic controls. THAT'S ALL I WANT AND NEED. The X1D offers that. In fact, by manually focusing in magnified live view, I can focus more accurately than I ever could before with any of my cameras.
3. Your point about the X1D not bringing anything interesting to the table is, to be frank, remarkable. Try this. Take your Phase XF and three of your Blue Ring Lenses, put them into a camera bag, sling it over left shoulder, and then go for a 2 or 3 mile walk. Now take an X1D and the three XCD lenses and put them into a camera bag, sling it over your shoulder and go for a 2-3 mile walk. Notice a difference? Not "interesting" to you?

Last edited:

hcubell

When this thread was opened, and I saw its title, I knew exactly where it was going to lead.
In retrospect, you are right. I overestimated the ability of people to have a constructive dialogue about their experiences and findings.

bab

I've been looking at GFX raw files and they just don't excite me. I can't put my finger on it yet. I have been looking at the GFX for a number of reasons, mostly because of what Hasselblad is not offering. First and foremost is the H lens adapter. I shoot long mostly so need something like the HC 210 and 150 on the adapter. Then I discover that the adapter doesn't come with a tripod foot so I would have the nice long lenses dragging the lens mount down. I've been there before and know that I don't want to go there again.

It looks like I may be keeping my Nikon a little longer.
You can easily buy a lens support from many companies that fits on you tripod and supports the lens much less vibrations than a tripod foot. But agreed Hasselblad does not make accessories to finish out their products. Their minimalist approach to its system offerinsince digital has always been there greatest downfall in marketing. The Italians design it, the Germans make it and the Swiss finance it, 0 for 3.

BANKER1

In retrospect, you are right. I overestimated the ability of people to have a constructive dialogue about their experiences and findings.
Yeah, I had hopes it would turn out better, since this is a friendlier forum. Pettiness is not an attractive character trait.