The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D v. Fuji GFX: Who Has Used Both?

hcubell

Yeah, I had hopes it would turn out better, since this is a friendlier forum. Pettiness is not an attractive character trait.
I completely agree. The irony is that the only person who participated in this thread that actually owns and has used a GFX is Paul, whose post was totally responsive and not at all defensive.

Jeffg53

You can easily buy a lens support from many companies that fits on you tripod and supports the lens much less vibrations than a tripod foot. But agreed Hasselblad does not make accessories to finish out their products. Their minimalist approach to its system offerinsince digital has always been there greatest downfall in marketing. The Italians design it, the Germans make it and the Swiss finance it, 0 for 3.
Here's what I have used in the past, what a PITA.I did this to overcome that I would expect with the X1D

Attachments

tjv

Anyone used the X1D and Leica S007?

I know. This is off topic, but considering both systems are designed from the ground up for digital (as opposed to H and M systems,) maybe it's good to throw the S in the mix?

Then again, it's another can of worms...

I ask because I use a Credo 60 and work has granted a large sum of money to buy a new piece of kit for field use. Being weather proof, the Fuji, X1D and Leica systems are all on the radar.

I got both about a month ago and still have both. Still struggling to settle with just one so I guess I'll just shoot with both :). So much of it comes down to what you shoot, how you shoot it, what else is important to you and where your priorities are. The X1D starts up slow and the AF point selection sucks but I still love using and working with the camera. The GFX with the 120 macro is a killer hand held macro set up and the GFX with the 32-64 zoom is an incredibly small and light backup to the Phase kit. In fact for hiking landscapes, a Tech camera with the IQ3 100, a wide lens + GFX and 32-64 would cover so much.

Whats really clear here is that the options for photographers just keep getting better and better and if you go into it eyes open to your needs, you couldn't really make a wrong choice here.

KeithL

My wallet is grateful that I've not bought either.

One is not my kind of camera and the other is buggy and has features missing.

Looking forward to the X1DII.

hcubell

My wallet is grateful that I've not bought either.

One is not my kind of camera and the other is buggy and has features missing.

Looking forward to the X1DII.
Sounds like a plan, but the X2D will likely have the next Gen Sony 100MP sensor and cost 50% more.

hcubell

I got both about a month ago and still have both. Still struggling to settle with just one so I guess I'll just shoot with both :). So much of it comes down to what you shoot, how you shoot it, what else is important to you and where your priorities are. The X1D starts up slow and the AF point selection sucks but I still love using and working with the camera. The GFX with the 120 macro is a killer hand held macro set up and the GFX with the 32-64 zoom is an incredibly small and light backup to the Phase kit. In fact for hiking landscapes, a Tech camera with the IQ3 100, a wide lens + GFX and 32-64 would cover so much.

Whats really clear here is that the options for photographers just keep getting better and better and if you go into it eyes open to your needs, you couldn't really make a wrong choice here.
Yes, I agree. The Fuji zoom is VERY good. I was quite impressed by it.

KeithL

Yes, at that point, you will be able to pick up a very slightly used X1D with mature firmware AND a cable release!
Add DOF info, comprehensive auto ISO options, minimal EVF lag and lenses free of auto focus errors and I may just bite.

;-)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Pricing is up to Hasselblad to decide, but Fuji is going to be around to keep them honest.

If you check Canon the 50 MP 5DsR is priced below the 30 MP 5DIV, so MP-s (mega pixels) can come free.

On the other hand, I would expect the next generation of MFD sensors by Sony would have on sensor PDAF (Phase Detection AF). That would work wonders for AF-speed.

Little doubt that Hasselblad will improve the X1D with firmware upgrades. The X1D is Hasselblad's first mirrorless design. Fuji has done mirrorless for quite a few years, so they have a lot of experience with the technology.

The basic difference between the two is the shutter. The GFX has focal plane shutter, thus allowing a lot of lens and adapter options, while X1D is limited to leaf shutter lenses.

Don't know about the X1D, but Fuji says their lenses are designed for 100 MP. I would guess that would apply to Hasselblad, too. First indications are pretty good.

So, my expectation is that next generation 44x33mm will have 100 MP, as indicated in Sony's roadmap and also PDAF.

It also seems that Sony has improved pixel designs in the last few years, with a significant increas in full well capacity and dual gain conversion. I would guess that all that is coming to next generation MFD.

But, 2018's camera cannot shoot today's moose...

Best regards
Erik

Sounds like a plan, but the X2D will likely have the next Gen Sony 100MP sensor and cost 50% more.

hcubell

Add DOF info, comprehensive auto ISO options, minimal EVF lag and lenses free of auto focus errors and I may just bite.

;-)
3 of 4 should be done in firmware upgrades over the next 6-12 months. The EVF lag or blackout may be another matter. The blackout on the GFX EVF is shorter than the X1D. About .6 seconds versus 1.2 seconds or so for the X1D. I tend to doubt that Fuji will be able to further reduce the blackout, as it apparently is tied to the readout of the data from the sensor. Fuji has acknowledged that they have to await the next Gen of sensors to really deal with this issue. Can Hasselblad reduce the blackout down to the level of the GFX? Who knows.
My understanding is the the next firmware upgrade for the X1D is out now in beta being tested. However, I don't know what is included.