The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MFDB for Cambo set up

felix5616

I have a cambo WRS1200 with the following schneider XL lenses; 24mm, 35mm and 47mm. I will be buying a medium format digital back in the next 1-2 months. Looking for advice to which medium format back would work best with the lenses I have, an older IQ160 or the newer IQ 150/250

Jamgolf

I have a cambo WRS1200 with the following schneider XL lenses; 24mm, 35mm and 47mm. I will be buying a medium format digital back in the next 1-2 months. Looking for advice to which medium format back would work best with the lenses I have, an older IQ160 or the newer IQ 150/250
Cambo WRS1200 is a very good camera indeed.

I am curious about your lens choices though... the SK24 lens does not have an image circle large enough to cover any 54x40 sensor. I don't have first hand experience with it but based on what I have read, it is not going to be that great with IQ150/250 either. Did you buy SK24 for a particular reason?

I think SK35 has a lot of current and prior owners here and they'll probably tell you its characteristics, but it is probably the best performer out of the three lenses you've purchased. I've seen many excellent images in the Technical Camera Images thread, captured with SK35. No distortion and excellent image quality.

Both SK35 and SK47 will behave much better with a IQ160/Credo60 than with IQ150/Credo50. However, the 50MP backs offer live view which CCD backs do not (well they do, but it is not very good). Although, Capture One 10's improved LCC routine handles color cast in a much better way - making the 50MP CMOS DBs quite viable too.

Your SK24 is the odd ball out, and I am not quite sure how you are going to put it to work. If you have the possibility to return the SK24 it might be advisable.

Your SK35 would benefit from a center filter too. So, if you do not already have it, you can start looking for a pre-owned CF now, since SK do not make these (lenses or CFs) any more.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
i used to have that lens combination a while ago on my Alpa. The 24XL is definitely only really usable on a crop sensor (I had a P40+ at the time) and certainly that also applies to the 35XL too, although it's just a matter of how extreme the LCC clean up will be with a full frame sensor. When I got my IQ160 I quickly sold off the 24XL and 35XL lenses. The 35XL was usable with the centre filter and current LCC processing in C1 no doubt handle it better today. The 47XL has a huge image circle so not much of a concern there.

I think that the LCC fix up with the iQ150/250 will be problematic with these lenses, although the crop 44x33mm sensor definitely is a better match than a full frame sensor. I'd almost wager that an ideal back for these lenses would be a CCD crop sensor back like the IQ140 or Credo 40 if I assume that you're looking for this vintage of back technology.

vjbelle

I can only comment on the 35XL since its the only lens I own that you are referencing. I have shot that lens with the Leaf CMOS back (same as the Phase) with excellent results. I did use a center filter at the time and was able to shift 10mm which cleaned up nicely with an LCC. I use it now with my 3100 but rarely as I don't usually need wide angle. I've shot it both with and without a center filter with excellent results shifting out to about 8mm to 10mm depending on the scene. It does have excellent sharpness and '0' distortion which is a big plus. It will become a 45mm lens on a 150/250 CMOS back (compared to 54X44 chip) which is still fairly wide.

Regards,

Victor

felix5616

purchase the cambo as a kit with all the lenses so the 24mm lens was part of the package. did not expect to have any shift with the 24mm xl but was hoping it would play nice with an IQ150 if i did not shift the back