The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad macro converter with hc 50 II

JK12

How does this combo compare to the regular hc macro version 1? I once tried the extension tubes with the 80mm but it didn't give much a range to focus with. Is the macro converter with the 50 a nice option for flat close up work that fills the frame on an H6d 100c? Thanks in advance.

dkyle

I have the 50/1 and the Macro converter

If you are going to shoot small items, like a watch, flowers, etc, the 120 works better.

the 50 with the macro is good for paintings and larger items

Hasselblad has told me a number of times the 50/1 and 50/2 glass is the same, only the shutter speed has been changed

Photo
H5D 40
120mm F11 1/60
single shot

Attachments

Jake

I have the 50/1 and the Macro converter

If you are going to shoot small items, like a watch, flowers, etc, the 120 works better.

the 50 with the macro is good for paintings and larger items

Hasselblad has told me a number of times the 50/1 and 50/2 glass is the same, only the shutter speed has been changed

Photo
H5D 40
120mm F11 1/60
single shot
Off topic (sorry), but drooling over that 5970!

Miller

I wonder if this is correct. The original HC 3.5/50 had 10 elements in 9 groups, the HC 3.5/50-II has 11 elements in 7 groups.
Also, the MTF charts differ quite a bit.
However, I don't think there is a difference between the 50-II with old and new shutter, other than the shutter itself.

Dustbak

I have owned the 50vs1 and now use the 50vs2. These are definitely NOT the same glass.

The vs2 is very good without the converter much better than vs1. I actually prefer using the 50 with converter over the 120 if I can. Things that are a little larger than a watch I would use the 50 with converter over the 120. The 50 is sharper, has better colors and keeps contrast better.

I also use the 120 version 2.

modator

How does this combo compare to the regular hc macro version 1? I once tried the extension tubes with the 80mm but it didn't give much a range to focus with. Is the macro converter with the 50 a nice option for flat close up work that fills the frame on an H6d 100c? Thanks in advance.

Well it's a Macro Converter, It's not a void extension tube and the HC 50 II (that's already a very good lens) gains some cm of close focus with very good perf. anyway it's far to transform the HC 50II in a macro lens such is the HC Macro Version I (i recently swapped the HC macro I to the newer II).

For filling the H6D Frame 100 it's no problem anyway You can't go 1:1, it's purpose is to do closeup photography with wide angle look.

In this easter I use it in conjunction with HCD 28 for a shot of wild orchid with panoramic background that put more context to the subject, I have post in "fun with MF thread" also :

Have nice Easter, best regards, Domenico.

modator

Hi Jordan,
here is a simple shot (very basic hand made in this moment before dinner.. ) , It's not for IQ but for getting an idea of what you get, the watch (the first I found on the table) is at the closest focus distance (around 36cm) from the front lens of th HC 50 II with the H macro converter installed.

Usefull ?

Enjoy, Domenico.

JK12

Domenico,
That is quite helpful! Thank you all for taking the time.

Hi Jordan,
here is a simple shot (very basic hand made in this moment before dinner.. ) , It's not for IQ but for getting an idea of what you get, the watch (the first I found on the table) is at the closest focus distance (around 36cm) from the front lens of th HC 50 II with the H macro converter installed.

Usefull ?

Enjoy, Domenico.

PabloR

hello

could any of you answer me a question?

with the macro converter, is possible to focus to infinite?

PabloR

Ok, thank you very much for the information.

So, it will work exactly in the same focusing range as a extension tube equivalent to 6mm, correct?

thanks a lot
Pablo

Dustbak

That is correct with the addition that the added glass enhances the quality of the HC50v2 (check out the mtf's as well for that). The combination is a real joy to use.

I never figured trying to get focus on infinity too with this combo. The only extention ring I ever used that could still go to infinity was the Nikon K1 plus 20mm lens.

jerome_m

So, it will work exactly in the same focusing range as a extension tube equivalent to 6mm, correct?
Yes, that is correct. The extra glass adds 2 features:
-it allows Hasselblad to build the converter mechanically, without it the "tube" would be too thin to be feasible
-it corrects the lens for close range (which is not the case for extension tubes on, say, the 80mm, which give comparatively poor corner sharpness).

Basically, it does exactly what Hasselblad says. Have you tried downloading the info available on the various extension tubes from their web site? It is full of tables with which tube and tube combination does with each lens.

jerome_m

Hi Jordan,

Usefull ?

Enjoy, Domenico.
And this shows the reason for the macro converter: use it with the HTS, and focal length is multiplied by 1.5, which would allow the watch to fill the whole frame. Then, you use tilt on the HTS to bring the watch facia in focus when it is angled to the camera...