The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF / IQ3-100 Time Lapse + Bracketing?

Craig Stocks

I'm looking for a way for night sky photography to run the camera unattended and untethered continuously taking sets of bracketed photos at, for instance, 5, 10 and 20 seconds each. So far I've tried and failed to find a combination to use both the Time Lapse tool and bracketing (or the HDR tool) together. The time lapse tool doesn't seem to honor the exposure bracketing shutter mode.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Can't help here cuz I haven't tried the XF+ for this when I had it. Should tag @dougpeterson here :grin:

For Nikon's built-in interval timer shootings, set "No. of intervals" and "shots/interval" separately in conjunction with bracketing. I suppose Phase One should have a similar function?

Paul2660

Hi Craig

Have you looked at the Digital Transitions Time lapse tool? It might allow for what you are looking for. Requires a tethered connection but a Surface 3 or 4 should work. I am not sure of the pricing.

Paul Caldwell

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes the DT Time Lapse Suite can do:
- time lapse (any camera compatible with IQ platform, including tech/view cameras)
- time lapse + exposure bracketing (XF only)
- time lapse + focus stacking (XF only)
- time lapse + time lapse (XF only)

The last option listed sounds silly but it allows you to create sets of sets of images. For example every 10 minutes the camera take 24 pictures at a rate of one frame per second. That means the final time lapse would be one second of footage with a hard jump cut to 10 minutes later. There is even a method to do additional nesting (sets of sets of sets of images), but I can't think of any practical application for it.

There is no way I know of to do this on the XF, and also suppress the dark frame, other than with our software.

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

Thanks Doug. I had already checked out the app on the DT website but it appeared to be Mac only (all the screen shots were Mac and it never mentioned a Windows version) and there was limited descriptions of functionality. I also want to avoid tethering.

I may look into a Vello or other brand of intervalometer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Doug. I had already checked out the app on the DT website but it appeared to be Mac only (all the screen shots were Mac and it never mentioned a Windows version) and there was limited descriptions of functionality. I also want to avoid tethering.
Correct, Mac only. Should be fine to run even on a Macbook Air; doesn't need much power. Our app is also entirely isolated/separate from Capture One, so mid time lapse you can launch Capture One and review the images that are coming in, and should Capture One crash or freeze it will not effect the time lapse capture app.

Any questions regarding functionality that go beyond the descriptions on the website can be gladly addressed by email or phone.

Note that if using a Vello you will not be able to disable or even suppress the dark frame since the XF only offers this in the Time Lapse tool and you'll be firing (externally) from the HDR/bracketing Tool.

Paul2660

oops my mistake I assumed DT app would work on both Mac and Win. A bit of a short coming, as no Mac I know of will tether in the field very easily. Due to screen.

Paul Caldwell

algrove

If tethering in the field important then would suggest the Phase Pelican case, then fold down the top insert and use the hood(s) for reflection minimization and off you go. Yes you need some sort of sturdy stand to hold the whole contraption, i.e., second tripod with flat lid like the table used for in studio tethered shooting. :grin:

Paul2660

Ken Doo, pretty much wrote the book on field tethering for a IQ back, his work with the surface pro line IMO took the IQ and field tethering to a totally new level. I still use the Surface PRo2 all the time. If Mac made a similar device, I would be all over it, but they have yet to merge a touch screen, in a laptop and a removable keyboard.

You can read more here. But Ken has many good entries to read.

https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/

Paul Caldwell