The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TTL and new body Phase One XF

wagabundo

Hi!
does anyone has tried to use TTL (profoto AirTTL) with new body Phase One XF ?

does its works without any limitation ? The strobes power is adjusted on the fly, and I can keep focus on subject and aperture only ? or it have some limitation ? for example

- the power is only adjusted manually from the trigger (not auto)
- or shutter speed is limited to 1/125 (would be great if TTL works with higher speeds/leaf shutters as 1/1600)

anybody with practice ? my work is related with dynamic environment so I would be more than happy to save some time..

Paul

Last edited:

ejpeiker

Not sure but this may answer your questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVmcHHN3Xx8

Since that video was posted, I know at least one of the firmware updates have further enhanced the fuctionality but I'm not a ProFoto user - just thought this might help.

Also page 75 and 76 of the latest manual (v. 1.9) covers this and it seems from my reading of it that what you are trying to do is supported but again, I don't use the system so i can't be sure.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not sure but this may answer your questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVmcHHN3Xx8

Since that video was posted, I know at least one of the firmware updates have further enhanced the fuctionality but I'm not a ProFoto user - just thought this might help.
TTL works up to the native flash sync speed of the system. Assuming you're using a LS lens that means 1/1600th.

You can use TTL (automatic self adjustment of the power) or manual control of the power.

med

I have tried it with both my B2 and D2 and it works exactly as expected which is as good as one can hope for I think. You can also use any Profoto transceivers you have to trigger the XF which is nice since I think they are probably cheaper than the BOB+Cable release.

I haven’t done any complicated multi group stuff with TTL but it works as expected. Usually I just do one shot in TTL to get in the ballpark and then switch to manual for consistency and fine tuning. I haven’t tried in an event setting yet.