The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One and Nikon Flash

cyron123

Hello,

i have a really beginner question: Is it possible to use a Nikon flash like SB900 or SB800 with a Phase One camera? I have never used a flash on the Phase One and this is totally new to me.

I want to use it with a radio trigger system. Not directly on the P1. What trigger system is OK? Is HSS possible?
Thank you.
Best regards
cyron

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello,

i have a really beginner question: Is it possible to use a Nikon flash like SB900 or SB800 with a Phase One camera? I have never used a flash on the Phase One and this is totally new to me.

I want to use it with a radio trigger system. Not directly on the P1. What trigger system is OK? Is HSS possible?
Thank you.
Best regards
cyron
The hot shoes is a standard hot shoe. Any flash can go on top. Be careful with very old (or very cheap) flashes as they may not play nicely with trigger voltage, but ?Nikon SB800 or anything remotely similar is absolutely fine.

Flash sync (using the LS lenses) is natively 1/1600. No need for HSS or other pseudo sync methods.

It's what I often use for my own wedding photography.

The only limits here I can think of off the top of my head are:
1) no TTL/Auto (only TTL available with Phase is the XF + Profoto)
2) your wireless transmitter and receiver have to be able to handle fast transmission. Pocketwizard maxes at 1/500 while Profoto Air can handle 1/1600.

TRixxY

Good morning,

I do not have P1 geat, but Nikon and Hasselblad digital plus a lot of analog gear with leaf shuters.

I do use YN622N to trigger my flashes (Nikon, Metz and studio strobes and cheap portys). All work flawlessly, even SuperSynch (dumb highspeed at full power, long burn time of the flash) and HSS on Nikon. Even the Land 355 fires without any problems.
If you get the TX you can change power from the camera position if the flashes do understand iTTL.

All Nikon flashes will work in M when you trigger via the middle contact.
SB800/900/910 do have an own light cell and will work perfect in AA mode.
Older Sb27/28 will work fine also, check always if the flash can handle AA mode.

I just run into one problem with my H3D, seems the impuks given at the PC portnis too short to trigger the radio triggers, so the flashes fire always in full power asnif you would press the test button on the TX ... cheap 433MHz triggers work great and I can flash down to 1/320s although the lenses can synch down to 1/800s, so this is what Doug mentioned with fast rdio triggers.

If I were you, I would invest into a pair of YN622N used, and test myself.
Maybe someone around has Metz 48AF1N or SBs ... you can sell them if they don't fit your needs without loss.

RobbieAB

I'm currently using a Mamiya 645AFDII with a Canon EX430 (I had the flash before I got my MF camera) off-camera using Photix Ares triggers. As Doug said, you won't get any advanced features, it would all be manual mode, and it will be slower sync, but this combination should work with any flash. You don't tell us what body and lenses you have. If you are focal plane shutter only, so no need for a fast sync, (older body, or just no leaf shutter lenses) the Photix Ares is a really cheap option - almost disposable for playing with older flashes which might fry the receiver.

In theory (I have not tested this) if you can find the appropriate older Metz flash and adapters, you could get TTL working on the Metz flash on the older Phase One cameras as well (not sure about the XF). I looked at this option and rejected it as impractical for me due to the problems finding the appropriate units.

If you also shoot some non-P1 camera, it is worth considering compatibility with that camera as well, when picking flash options.

Last edited:

cyron123

Hello Guys,
thank you for the infos.

More infos from me: I have 2 Nikon SB800 flashes and Phase One XF with 80mm nonLS und 55mm LS. I want to use this 2 flashes with radio triggers. I want to change the flash power at the transmitter on the camera.

I heard of a new generation of Cactus V6 II triggers could do this.

Thank you.

cyron123

Hello,

i have tried the YN622N transmitter. But they do not work with power control with the Nikon flashes. :)
I would be happy if there are other guys with some experience with other triggers. Thank you.