The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any thoughts on a foldable WLF for Hasselblad H series

TRixxY

Hello together,

as you might noticed, I do like to open up gear and play around with whatsoever ... actually I'm working on a foldable WLF for the H series.
It's a ... I honestly have no words ... what Hasselblad offers clients ... that WLf is a pain and it's an impertinense to offer it for that price.

So I went a bit deeper and bought 2 WLFs from different cameras, cheap functionally and am starting to adopt it for the H series.
In the end first prototypes will be printed 3D in ABS, later on after the design is good for production, I might order 100pcs somewhere in china.
Planned features:

- foldable
- fitting same way/tight as the body cap
- springs to open up
- integrated lens to pop up
- multicolour design (gray/black, orange/green, red/black), at least this is possible in the 3d printer with different materials
- front panel designed to be personalized (Logo, Name, Dragonhead ... whatever) by a 3D printed plate
- durable (ABS plastic and hinges with metal wires)
- modern design, form follows function and fits into the H series design

Do you have any comments/thoughts regarding features?
No, I think I can't integrate a light meter ... or you might know some camera that can do that, maybe it's easy to adopt that one too...

So, please let me know.

Cheers from black forest

PabloR

I have a wlf H series, and i liked it!! I bought it used, 180 euros.

It is very very useful for me, use it a lot. But what is a pain is for carry the camera with WLF attached. Huge, there is no back pack with a case for that monster.

Im always changing from Hv to WLF, and a lot of dust comes into the camera. Another problem.

I asked to Hasselblad for a foldable one, maybe one day.

Phase One has designed one foldable, and it keeps the photometer tool in the body, nice design.

The big problem with it, is that WLF only works for landscape position, and not for portrait mode. I think that is the limitation for this kind of capture with 4:3 backs.

My only advice is to have the same lens on the top as actual model, and to keep the same aestetic line like the H series.

regards and good luck, I will follow your project.

ciao
Pablo

P. Chong

I think a design along the lines of the V WLF, but with H aesthetic language will be nice. Though, some issues do spring to mind. The H shutter actuation button is not really in a comfortable position when camera is held low, whereas the V's shutter position is perfect. Also with the H's 645 format, the WLF is only for landscape mode, a problem not present on the V with its 6x6 square.

I will be keen on your progress.

bab

The better solution that was available to Hasselblad was a swinging-foldable-articulating LCD this would have been brilliant.
Now I'm going to test a external HDMI monitor in the field my only concern Is battery power.
The idea of a WLF is great even better if it incorporated a EVF...just thinking.

photo-bowman

Hello !

I do totally agree that the WLF Hasselblad offers for the H-System is a shame! Their V-System ones were great designs and worked for ages. No idea why not keep the good stuff but go for what looks like the easy pass.

... and don't ask me about the price - INSANE!

@TRixxY
I like what you are thinking about. Will be interesting to see what can be made there.
Maybe via a Kickstarter-Campain?

Hope to hear more about this.....