The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huge prints in Southern California

tashley

Subscriber Member
Sorry to ask this here but I suspect it's likely the most productive place.

I have to furnish a home in Palm Springs with some very large prints. The owner is British and I could have them done here and then shipped over, but it strikes me that it might be cheaper and easier to send the files to a good printer in the US and have them delivered to the home.

In the UK I use Spectrum and The Print Space, and can have big prints made and mounted on Aluminium for batten mounting direct on the wall.

The prints will vary from about 50 to about 70 inches on the long edge. Obviously the print shop will need to be able to do both printing and mounting, and will need a calibrated workflow, with the ability to send me profiles for soft proofing.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations any of you might have.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

I have to furnish a home in Palm Springs with some very large prints. The owner is British and I could have them done here and then shipped over, but it strikes me that it might be cheaper and easier to send the files to a good printer in the US and have them delivered to the home.

In the UK I use Spectrum and The Print Space, and can have big prints made and mounted on Aluminium for batten mounting direct on the wall.

The prints will vary from about 50 to about 70 inches on the long edge. Obviously the print shop will need to be able to do both printing and mounting, and will need a calibrated workflow, with the ability to send me profiles for soft proofing.

DUGGAL.COM in NYC is well know for large prints of exhibition quality . They will be pricey but can deliver quality .

scho

I've been using Bayphoto for large fabric prints ("Xpozer" style) that are light weight but durable. Example below is a recent 30x40 inch Xpozer print on vivid satin material made from a Fuji XT2 image taken in Curacao. They offer print sizes up to 40x80 inches.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Talk with Gary Faye at Camera West Rancho Mirage ... he is printing 72 inch prints and has a local printer ... PS and RM are neighbors ... that he is convinced is peerless. The printer has four or five
satellite locations in major locations in the us.

Email is: [email protected]

His site is: G a r y F a y e . c o m

Good guy ... I am certain that he will jump on your client.

He works now at Camera West Rancho Mirage and I have know them for close to 20 years.

Regards,

Bob

narikin

I would not call 50 to 70" on the long edge huge by contemporary art standards, big, yes, but not huge. Most anyone with a 64" Epson could make those, and there a many hundreds of labs with 60" pigment printers. I personally know 6 individual photographers with these, and 3 (moi included) with the new P20000. So it's not a big job at all.

Regardless: There's a lot of printer options in the USA for this:

If you want a fine art lab many people go to Laumont in NYC - they are the ones for art work, much more than Duggal. Laumont have a huge mounting and framing shop in LIC, so it's all in-house. If they screw up their print in framing, they remake it at their expense. They can do Lightjet C-prints 72x120" max, and pigment ink to 64" wide, plus they have one of only 3 Swiss Q flatbeds in the country, for even bigger prints. They do Diasec Plexi Face mount and DiBond Aluminum mounting, as well. They're much more art oriented than any other lab in NYC, and are a default for many NYC Galleries. (I have no connection with them, other than being an occasional customer)

West Coast I'm not so knowledgeable, but there are plenty for sure. Great framers in SF/Bay area. General Graphics for Mounting, and framing at Sterling Fine Art Services (pricey!) also Smith Andersen North.

Good luck.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks again everyone: there's a great list of options to explore here. My first tootle through a couple of websites seems to show that it might be the rare example of something that is a little cheaper here in the UK so it might be more economical to print and mount here and then ship out there, but I haven't looked at all the options yet.

Egor

www.santabarbaragiclee.com

I'll do it! :) I'll even drive it down to Palm Springs and hand deliver to your client.
Im not as large or big and polished like some others mentioned here but have been in business for 30 years+ and do good work.

Cheers,

e

narikin

Yes, doing it in the UK (right?) might be more affordable to you, then shipping a rolled print to a mounter in USA might work, plus you'd get to approve the finished print. However, I think shipping a rigid mounted print will be very pricey, and risky. I personally wouldn't recommend that last step.

To be honest I've found printing a similar price, compared to Europe, but framing a lot more $ in USA! No idea why, but it's one of those things where it just seems to be 30-40% more to frame the same work in USA than it is in say Germany, or UK, both pretty expensive countries otherwise. Odd. Anyone got an explanation?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yes, doing it in the UK (right?) might be more affordable to you, then shipping a rolled print to a mounter in USA might work, plus you'd get to approve the finished print. However, I think shipping a rigid mounted print will be very pricey, and risky. I personally wouldn't recommend that last step.

To be honest I've found printing a similar price, compared to Europe, but framing a lot more $ in USA! No idea why, but it's one of those things where it just seems to be 30-40% more to frame the same work in USA than it is in say Germany, or UK, both pretty expensive countries otherwise. Odd. Anyone got an explanation?

The client has a shipping container going out anyway so the cost factor may swing us to print and mount here... this really is about the only thing other than healthcare which is cheaper in the uk!

algrove

The client has a shipping container going out anyway so the cost factor may swing us to print and mount here... this really is about the only thing other than healthcare which is cheaper in the uk!
I am sure that printing/mounting in the UK is of a higher quality (with less wait times) than UK health care.:grin:

Egor

I would not either, I just did an install of 8 abstract marble quarry pieces for a client in Denver in which the smallest print was that size and most were 8' x 10' feet, all from 4x5" film scans. I am having the same company do a 10' x 12' foot vertical print for a 12' x 16' foot wall in our new home....that is huge.

The largest they will do is 14' feet on the long side, I am actually looking for even bigger since my file sizes are now tipping the scales at 30K pixels wide.

View attachment 126500
AI_Print, We can and have printed that large and larger. Took better part of a year but we converted a machine made to print billboards on side of buildings to print giclée quality repro. Quality is extreme. Size is pretty much unlimited. The hard part part is finding high quality substrate that large. We had to have some custom made for a job for the Getty. Then there is the ones done for movie backdrops...all do-able but it gets expensive because of the labor and custom profiles...Large canvas is fun too, especially when it comes to sourcing, stretching and framing... :) (ever tried to stretch a canvas print that is 12 feet by 25 feet?...good times good times! :) )

Cheers,

e

jdphoto

Duggal in NYC has a great reputation. Use the best lab and don't skimp on your budget here, especially if your drop shipping.