The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do Hasselblad HC lenses have firmware updates

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am trying to resolve a communication issue between a HC 300/4.5 ,a Leica H to S adapter and a Leica S 007 . Leica S systems have firmware updates for S lenses that are applied after a camera firmware update . Mount the S lens and the new firmware is installed .

Do HC lenses utilize firmware IN THE LENS . I want to be current with my HC lens to eliminate that as a possibility.

fiver

To my knowledge HC lens have no need to update as they work just fine with the appropriate hasselblad cameras they were made to work with. ie new H cameras are built around the existing HC lenses.

msadat

if there are firmware updates, it is done at the factory, these lenses have no update capability by the users

ropo54

Not sure of the correct answer to your question, but, I have a HC 35 which will NOT work with the Hasselblad X to H adapter (for use on my X1DII) but will work with the S to H adapter on my Leica S007. I understand that there are newer firmware iterations of the HC 35 which will allow it to work on the X1D II as well as the S 007.

Similarly, I have a HC 80 2.8, which works with both my X1D II (with Hb adapter) and with my Leica S 007. The version firmware on this lens is 19.X and that seems to be the critical issue for operations on the X1D II

It is my understanding that the firmware is the determining factor as to whether it will autofocus on the X1DII but that it should manually focus just fine.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am trying to resolve a communication issue between a HC 300/4.5 ,a Leica H to S adapter and a Leica S 007 . Leica S systems have firmware updates for S lenses that are applied after a camera firmware update . Mount the S lens and the new firmware is installed .

Do HC lenses utilize firmware IN THE LENS . I want to be current with my HC lens to eliminate that as a possibility.
My (probably imperfect) understanding is that the recent (orange dot) HC lenses won't work with the Leica S, and the older ones won't AF on the X2D. Rather a strange set of incompatibilities!

Photon42

My orange dot 100/2.2 works on the S2 (don't have an S007 anymore). Leaf shutter, auto focus and the aperture control do work. It also works perfectly well on my X2D, both with the XH adapter and the XH converter.

MGrayson

My orange dot 100/2.2 works on the S2 (don't have an S007 anymore). Leaf shutter, auto focus and the aperture control do work. It also works perfectly well on my X2D, both with the XH adapter and the XH converter.
Ok. Now I'm confused. My orange dot HC 150/3.2N works fine - AF, shutter - on the S3 and X2D. My non-orange HC 100/2.2 works on the S3 and X2D - AF, shutter. Some information I read is either out-of-date or just wrong. I'd be very happy if a non-orange HC 300/4.5 would AF and shutter on the X2D, but I was assured that it wouldn't.

Last edited:

steveash

In 2013 Hasselblad made a change to the chip in the HC lenses to allow a larger firmware file. Lenses after this date can use the more recent firmware versions that allow autofocus when adapted to the X cameras.

The orange dot lenses have an updated exposure unit (aperture and shutter) with an extended life and faster shutter speeds. 1/1000th max or 1/2000th on an H6D or X camera by combining leaf and electronic shutters.

I have used HC lenses of all ages on the SE and 007 without a problem. However I have read of problems with orange dot lenses. This may be certain lenses or specific firmware versions in camera or lens.

Its possible to age a Hasselblad lens by its serial number. There’s a quick checker on http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/

MGrayson

In playing with the orang-dot HC 150/3.2N on the S3, I did once have to drop the battery to unfreeze the camera, so it's not a perfect match. I wish the X2D could go into a more forgiving mode for the older HC lenses. And I'd like my short-term memory back, too.

Doc Steel

My (probably imperfect) understanding is that the recent (orange dot) HC lenses won't work with the Leica S, and the older ones won't AF on the X2D. Rather a strange set of incompatibilities!
Please excuse me, but you are subject to a mistake. The orange dot marks those lenses that have shutter speeds of up to 1/2000 sec, without the orange dot the shutter speeds only go up to 1/800. That's all. All other features are there and there without restrictions.

MGrayson

Please excuse me, but you are subject to a mistake. The orange dot marks those lenses that have shutter speeds of up to 1/2000 sec, without the orange dot the shutter speeds only go up to 1/800. That's all. All other features are there and there without restrictions.
Thank you. That makes sense, but I was under the impression that the larger chip for storing firmware coincided (more or less) with the upgraded shutter. Hasselblad (again, I think) has explained the lack of AF on the X2D with certain HC lenses stems from an inability to hold the required more recent firmware.

I'm perfectly happy to be wrong about that. In the end, what works is what works, and all the theorizing is irrelevant.

rmueller

Hasselblad HC/HCD lenses have firmware updates which can be downloaded from the Hasselblad Web Site. The latest firmware version is 19.1, the prior release was 19.0.3.

Installation happens in the same way as H body firmware update. Of course it needs to be repeated for every lens. The appropriate lens to update must be attached to the H body.

Some HC/HCD lenses seem not be upgradeable to the 19.x firmware version though due to a lack of sufficient firmware memory in the lens. I don't know exactly which those are but I can check once I'm back home. I have the HCD 28, the 50 II, 80, 120 II and red dot 100.

Attached screen shot is from the HC/HCD lens firmware version 19.1 release notes, hope it is allowed here, it is public information anyway.

Regards, Ralf.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 15.55.45.png

Last edited:

hcubell

Thank you. That makes sense, but I was under the impression that the larger chip for storing firmware coincided (more or less) with the upgraded shutter. Hasselblad (again, I think) has explained the lack of AF on the X2D with certain HC lenses stems from an inability to hold the required more recent firmware.

I'm perfectly happy to be wrong about that. In the end, what works is what works, and all the theorizing is irrelevant.
That’s consistent with my understanding as to why all 6 of my HC lenses do not AF on the X series camera bodies.

steveash

The firmware chip was upgraded during 2013 while the orange dot lenses were introduced in 2016. I have lenses from each of these three age groups that confirm this. Only the pre-2013 lens fails to AF on an X camera, fortunately its a 28mm so pretty forgiving. They all AF on the Leica S system, but not in live view.

MGrayson

The firmware chip was upgraded during 2013 while the orange dot lenses were introduced in 2016. I have lenses from each of these three age groups that confirm this. Only the pre-2013 lens fails to AF on an X camera, fortunately its a 28mm so pretty forgiving. They all AF on the Leica S system, but not in live view.
I guess we need serial number cutoffs for each lens.
BTW, only one of the HC 300/4.5 lenses for sale on eBay showed the serial number, and that one was made in 2005.

Hasselblad HC/HCD lenses have firmware updates which can be downloaded from the Hasselblad Web Site. The latest firmware version is 19.1, the prior release was 19.0.3.

Installation happens in the same way as H body firmware update. Of course it needs to be repeated for every lens. The appropriate lens to update must be attached to the H body.

Some HC/HCD lenses seem not be upgradeable to the 19.x firmware version though due to a lack of sufficient firmware memory in the lens. I don't know exactly which those are but I can check once I'm back home. I have the HCD 28, the 50 II, 80, 120 II and red dot 100.

Attached screen shot is from the HC/HCD lens firmware version 19.1 release notes, hope it is allowed here, it is public information anyway.

Regards, Ralf.

View attachment 202614
H lens firmware can also be updated on an X body.

Last edited:

Doc Steel

Ok thank you Steve.
Your and my posting above complete the story.
So there is only one question left: How can a X-user identify a pre-2013 lens without a list of serial numers and production date?

MGrayson

The HC lenses have a product code first. The last two letter before the numerals give the date. The 300/4.5 on eBay that DOES show its serial number is 7JSC10451. The SC translates to "05", so this lens was made in 2005.

fotophil

Ok. Now I'm confused. My orange dot HC 150/3.2N works fine - AF, shutter - on the S3 and X2D. My non-orange HC 100/2.2 works on the S3 and X2D - AF, shutter. Some information I read is either out-of-date or just wrong. I'd be very happy if a non-orange HC 300/4.5 would AF and shutter on the X2D, but I was assured that it wouldn't.
I believe that a non-orange dot 300mm HC lens will perform AF on a x2d IF the lens firmware is 19.1and not 19.03 Use update on Hasselblad WEBSITE