The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High on newly arrived XF

ocarlo

IMG_1134.jpgIMG_1142.jpg

My new XF, 80mm LS, and new IQ180 arrived two days ago from CI (thanks!),
and I'm still super-giddy. Alas, I had to pack all my gear for my trip right away,
and I probably spent more time staring at the boxes and sniffing the smell of newness
than I did checking the gear out. I exaggerate...and blame Dante..and Ken..and this forum.
How mesmerized was I? I had forgotten all the other silly things like lighting - my Ranger RXs
could use new batteries, and my AcuteB needs another lithium battery.
Btw, how is it that a new LiFe battery is almost the price of a used AcuteB pack with head these days?
Also acquired an excellent 55mm LS non-Blue Ring, and wished I had more $$ for a 120mm macro...
though my RZ's macro and 180mm should fill that in.

Aside from some silliness about removing the front protective plate (solved) - I've seen a list
of IQ180 on XF some while back - but could someone elaborate?
1 - when I tried Live View over USB to my Macbook Pro 2013, it appeared I could not Capture from the laptop. Unless I'm missing it, it's a real problem, since I have a series where I have the camera rigged 10-15ft up in the air, shooting down. I have the Hahnel remote, but it's not long enough.
2 - Anyone with experience tethering longer than 15ft? I have Tether Boost and 15ft Tether USB cable.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks all.

I'm so jealous man :)

Regarding the live view is that a CMOS/CCD thing? I seem to remember that when I looked into buying a IQ2 60 back my dealer told me I would not have live view as it is a CCD sensor.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm so jealous man :)

Regarding the live view is that a CMOS/CCD thing? I seem to remember that when I looked into buying a IQ2 60 back my dealer told me I would not have live view as it is a CCD sensor.
You can tether from the IQ180 but the Live View is, as Erik suggests, of very limited use because it's a CCD. CMOS is the go-to for live view to be of any real use.

ocarlo

Copy that.
After checking with CI tech support (very prompt and succinct replies btw),
I'm happy as clams. With regards to my XF being 15ft up in the air, from within C1 I can
open LiveView, adjust focus, adjust shutter/aperture etc - then close LiveView and fire.
All I wished for.
Since I shoot people, I doubt that I'd want to look at a screen anyways. Alles goedt.
From CI - You can’t shoot from Live View on an IQ1 or IQ2 series CCD based digital back. If you need trigger the shutter from the computer, Live View needs to be off.

Generally speaking, the 1-series digital backs integrate with XF the same way as 2 & 3 series except for no Power Sharing as is on the 3 series and no ISO control from the camera body and no custom naming available for the Custom A,B,C settings on the XF.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As DSLRs go, the XF is ... awesome. Heavy, dense, a pain to carry with anything more than one lens but ultimately it's still AWESOME too!!

ocarlo

Still have to put it through it's paces, but really love the minimalist design.
With a 80mm BL, it felt lighter than I expected, but hefty enough
(and pricey enough) to not disrespect it.
I get the same feeling as with my RZ ProIID - a big box of tools that say:
this is your craft, premeditate - think about every single choice, frame in your head,
meter manually so that you're totally responsible for the light,
and only then use me. Love it.

ocarlo

Two weeks in, and am loving my XF.
Haven't touched my RZ system at all.
Two minor issues: I have the XF rigged 15-20ft up in the air shooting down.
I've turned off any power setting - but the camera or back still goes to sleep.
Anything I'm missing in the menus?
Also, the Hahnel remote release does not seem to work at all....CI has not replied to my email,
and from eastern Congo, everything's so far away.
Thanks.

Steve Hendrix

Also, the Hahnel remote release does not seem to work at all....CI has not replied to my email,
Thanks.

Carlo, did you contact Brad via CI Support? I don't see any email correspondence to Brad. If you contacted Chris, he's been in Scotland for the past 2 weeks and may not have email/phone access. For power settings, did you go to the Power Management Tool in the Top Level XF menu? It is toward the bottom of the main menu.

Please let Brad know issue details about the Hahnel and he can help resolve that.

[email protected]

Thank you.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Digitalcameraman

Thanks.
Carlo,

I have not received an email from you, who did you send it to at CI?

There is a Energy menu that will allow you to keep the back awake and not go to sleep, by default, to save battery, it is set to sleep after 2 minutes. There is a setting for this in the XF menu and also the IQ180 menu.

We have sold a lot of release cables like this and not had one issue. , I take it you are using the extension?

Please let me know how I can help.

ocarlo

Hi Steve and Brad,
Thanks for the assistance. I had simply replied to a previous email thread with Brad.
Will re-check the menu settings, though I thought I had gone through everything.
The Hahnel btw is the simple release cable, not the breakout box. I've tried it with and without the extension.
I take it then that there'll be separate power settings for XF and back.
Also wanted to say that you guys at CI are awesome - from the package deal you offered to support service,
and the manner and tone of doing business. The XF gear is truly changing my photographic work,
and after years of the P45 - man, the IQ180 is mindblowing.
carlo

DougDolde

As far as I'm concerned, the waist level viewfinder is the best accessory you can get for the XF. Makes it almost svelte.

ocarlo

I do miss the RZ WLF experience. Right now, I'm enjoying looking through a viewfinder again.
And my focus rate's gone up like to 95%.

jduncan

View attachment 126708View attachment 126709

My new XF, 80mm LS, and new IQ180 arrived two days ago from CI (thanks!),
and I'm still super-giddy. Alas, I had to pack all my gear for my trip right away,
and I probably spent more time staring at the boxes and sniffing the smell of newness
than I did checking the gear out. I exaggerate...and blame Dante..and Ken..and this forum.
How mesmerized was I? I had forgotten all the other silly things like lighting - my Ranger RXs
could use new batteries, and my AcuteB needs another lithium battery.
Btw, how is it that a new LiFe battery is almost the price of a used AcuteB pack with head these days?
Also acquired an excellent 55mm LS non-Blue Ring, and wished I had more $$ for a 120mm macro...
though my RZ's macro and 180mm should fill that in.

Aside from some silliness about removing the front protective plate (solved) - I've seen a list
of IQ180 on XF some while back - but could someone elaborate?
1 - when I tried Live View over USB to my Macbook Pro 2013, it appeared I could not Capture from the laptop. Unless I'm missing it, it's a real problem, since I have a series where I have the camera rigged 10-15ft up in the air, shooting down. I have the Hahnel remote, but it's not long enough.
2 - Anyone with experience tethering longer than 15ft? I have Tether Boost and 15ft Tether USB cable.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks all.
Beatiful Enyjoy!!!