The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 Achromatic!

narikin

I remember Andre from Alpa at some presentation saying how the (old) Achromat back was *so* sharp, the difference astonished even him.

Just like the Sigma DP Merrill sensor output, it is jaw dropping when you see what a digital sensor can do when it is not a Bayer Mosaic. When 1 pixel is real and accurate, not some guesstimate from all the surrounding pixels, it's quite an amazing difference. Of course, Sigma have been doing in color what the Achromat Phase backs only do in b/w, so... the real leap would be to have an MF Merrill color sensor!

A question: ES is on this is hopefully, as such ultimate sharpness will need it - but will the ES read time be any faster? Probably not: 100mp = 100mp, after all.

dchew

What we need is a pool. like a time-share. 8-10 people, each contributing $4-5k for buy-in plus the annual insurance and shipping cost. Reserve your time slots throughout the year, 14 days or less at a time. I'm sure we can get Gallagher to manage it for a small fee! A really small fee?!

C'mon, who's in??
:grin:

Dave

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What we need is a pool. like a time-share. 8-10 people, each contributing $4-5k for buy-in plus the annual insurance and shipping cost. Reserve your time slots throughout the year, 14 days or less at a time. I'm sure we can get Gallagher to manage it for a small fee! A really small fee?!

C'mon, who's in??
:grin:

Dave
Why pay anyone to manage it ? One person buys the back with all the required warranties and insurance . Others buy shares ...assume a 3 year life after which the original owner keeps the back . If the “Renters “ each paid a $$$ upfront to the buyer . You might get all the weeks you need for less than $5K ..FOR 3 YEARS . Nobody would have a lot of risk...the BUYER would get the $$$ upfront before buying the back (he could finance it if desired). The RENTERS would only have $5K at risk (not much for the MF users ). You would need 6 RENTERS to make this easy .

I try to plan my shooting year about 12 months in advance so it would be easy to pick a few two week excursions . Maybe do a few on the spur of the moment of the back was available . This is a terrific idea worth pursuing . Keep me posted .

Roger Dunham

Steve C

Great idea Dave! If the Achromatic does Live View and ES, I would be in. Don't give Phase One the idea that they should price this thing at $40k though. Maybe it should be the strike back at Hasselblad and Fuji with a $15k price.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Great idea Dave! If the Achromatic does Live View and ES, I would be in. Don't give Phase One the idea that they should price this thing at $40k though. Maybe it should be the strike back at Hasselblad and Fuji with a $15k price.
$40k sounds like a low price to me .... wonder what it would sell for.

Bob

drevil

Staff member
Maybe it should be the strike back at Hasselblad and Fuji with a $15k price.
yeah....what a strike back at hasselblad and fuji......woohoooo

"there H and F, 40k for our back YEAH....TAKE THAT B%&/(ES"

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Why get fixated on the cost. Those that really want this will pay whatever is needed to get it and Phase One know that. For the rest of the tyre kickers (or voyeurs) get over it.

This $$ cost thing gets really, truly tedious. There are lots of other fields where the cost of getting the very best of anything make these MFDB costs pale in comparison - think boats, cars, aeroplanes, induction fees to exclusive country/golf clubs etc etc. Get over it. :facesmack:

f8orbust

One of the (many) reasons that photography was known as a democratic art form was because you could stick the same type of film in your camera as that used by Edward Weston, Paul Strand, David Bailey, or whoever. Richard Avedon is shooting Tri-X ? Ok, I'll give it a try too. And even the camera formats those guys used didn’t cost an arm and a leg (Leicas aside). If you wanted a 5x4, or a 10x8, you could always pick one up for relatively not much money some place.

In contrast, MF digital gear is talked of in the same breath as luxury goods, often accompanied by the rather distasteful undertone of the 'haves' telling the 'have nots' to beat it.

So much for democracy.

Jim

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Film is still the great equalizer - every roll is a new sensor and from a cost point of view is un equaled.

However, with MF digital, suck it up and live with it. You do have options so don't fixate on it.

photo-bowman

um yes, but in fact this is the 3rd version Achromat back from Phase , so the Leica Monochrome is the one "like" Phase, not the reverse..

Sorry..... I did not run across the Phase One BW Backs before but knew of the Leica..... hence my statement.

kdphotography

Why get fixated on the cost. Those that really want this will pay whatever is needed to get it and Phase One know that. For the rest of the tyre kickers (or voyeurs) get over it.

This $$ cost thing gets really, truly tedious. There are lots of other fields where the cost of getting the very best of anything make these MFDB costs pale in comparison - think boats, cars, aeroplanes, induction fees to exclusive country/golf clubs etc etc. Get over it. :facesmack:
Ok, now I'm confused, Graham. Are you getting the IQ3 100 Achromatic or not? Let me know. I have to decide on whether I can simply borrow your IQ3 Achromatic and buy another AMG, or do I have to forego the car and buy the Achromatic myself.

:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Ok, now I'm confused, Graham. Are you getting the IQ3 100 Achromatic or not? Let me know. I have to decide on whether I can simply borrow your IQ3 Achromatic and buy another AMG, or do I have to forego the car and buy the Achromatic myself.

:ROTFL:
No IQ3 100 achromatic for me unless I win the lottery. Even if I had the cash sitting around I'd rather use it for life experiences and trips at the moment. Lot's of places to see, things to do.

So, sorry Ken, it looks like you'll have to forego that other new car. :thumbup:

rriley

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."
Aldo Gucci

drevil

Staff member
Well looks like its official, there is some info on the phase one website, but the link to "learn more" isnt working, for me anyway

*edit* now it does, iso 51k nice

gerald.d

Live view in infra-red is a real gamechanger.

I can see my having to rent one of these next "winter" season here in Dubai :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Press release

EMBARGO: Wed, 10th May, 2017 10h CEST, 4am EST

Phase One Announces the World’s First 100MP Achromatic Digital Back

Phenomenal Clarity in Black and White Photography

COPENHAGEN, May 10, 2017 – Phase One today announced the world’s first 101-megapixel achromatic digital back -- the IQ3 100MP Achromatic, featuring a new CMOS sensor design and state-of-the-art focus on classic black and white photography. With a top ISO of 51,200, it stands out as the most light sensitive medium format digital back available today, and its unmatched resolution offers photographers a new way to explore and express their visions without compromise.

“A black and white picture has the ability to transport the viewer into a different time and place. It essentially creates the illusion of a timeless experience …a simple black and white portrait can sum up all aspects of photography for me.” --Mark Seliger, Portrait Photographer

The IQ3 100MP Achromatic’s 101-megapixel sensor is produced without a Bayer color filter, allowing all available light to be captured unaltered and unobstructed. With no color information to be interpreted, the sensor is free to focus solely on capturing the highest level of detail, nuance and luminance.

"The IQ3 100MP Achromatic enables photographers to capture a timeless expression,” said Stefan Sandor, Vice President Marketing and Product Management. “The detail, tonality and image quality must be experienced first-hand, as seeing is not only believing, but truly inspirational.”

Produced without an Infrared (IR) cut-off filter, the IQ3 100MP Achromatic can capture light outside the visible spectrum, benefitting artistic and infrared applications. These powerful imaging abilities open new opportunities for a multitude of photographic disciplines, from fine art, landscape, portrait, and architecture to scientific applications.

The new achromatic CMOS sensor provides instant Live View feedback, and the sensor’s ability to see IR light allows the Live View to display light that is normally invisible to the naked eye. Capturing in purely black and white means that even at high ISO, the details produced have an analog-like smoothness, similar to film grains on a black and white film. The absence of color makes it possible to stretch the images to the extreme and at the same time retain the pure black and white image quality demanded by the world´s best photographers.

The IQ3 100MP Achromatic Digital Back also provides an Electronic Shutter, long exposure of up to 60 minutes, HDMI output, WiFi capabilities, full IQ3 XF Camera System integration, and compatibility with other camera bodies, as is standard with all IQ3 Digital Backs.
Availability and Pricing:

The IQ3 100MP Achromatic Digital Back is available for order now through Phase One Partners: www.phaseone.com/partners Contact your local Phase One Partner to arrange a demo.

The IQ3 100MP Achromatic is available for purchase now in a limited number. Shipping will begin in early August.

The Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price for the IQ3 100MP Achromatic digital back is 49,990 USD.

All Phase One XF IQ3 Camera Systems are supplied with a free lens of choice from the Schneider Kreuznach Blue Ring prime lens range, valued up to 6,990 USD.

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price for the XF IQ3 100MP Achromatic, including XF Camera body and free lens choice is 54,990 USD.

Schneider Kreuznach Blue Ring lenses are available now through Phase One Partners: www.phaseone.com/partners

For more details, please go to: www.phaseone.com or book a demo on: www.phaseone.com/demo

About Phase One

Phase One A/S is a provider of medium format digital photography systems and imaging solutions for professional photographers and industrial applications. Established in the early 1990s, Phase One has pioneered the field of digital camera systems and imaging software.

Phase One’s engineering and designs have produced imaging breakthroughs from high-resolution camera systems to advanced software for smooth photographic workflows and RAW file editing. Phase One’s understanding and ability to optimize hardware and software integration underscores their award-winning Capture One Pro software – widely preferred by professional photographers.

Phase One’s industrial division focuses on imaging accuracy for industrial applications ranging from aerial image acquisition to cultural heritage preservation – from mapping the globe, to protecting priceless works of art and documents.

Today, with control over all aspects of the medium format camera system supply chain, Phase One is uniquely positioned to help photographers and imaging experts everywhere stand out above the competition and realize their creative visions without compromise.

Based in Copenhagen Denmark, Phase One is dedicated to delivering the best image quality and user experience. With offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tel Aviv, and with its expert teams of global partners, Phase One is committed to serving and supporting its customers worldwide.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

Learn more here:
Phase One website at http://www.phaseone.com
Twitter at http://www.twitter/PhaseOnePhoto
Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/PhaseOnePhoto
Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+phaseone/posts
LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/company/16665

###

Note to editors: For a selection of product images and examples of imagery captured by the new Phase One 100MP Achromatic Camera System, please go to: https://www.phaseone.com/media-library