The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 Achromatic!

narikin

Well, I know of at least one order so far. (NO, not me alas but one of my photo buddies).

:thumbs:
I hope your friend figured out that an XF body, prism and choice of lens is just $5000 more when ordered together with the back.

It's a great deal, even if you already own an XF... Keep the Phase lens you wanted, sell the boxed new XF body + prism, and you've got a bargain lens, that is worth much more than you paid for it.

Now, that bit is great value, as for the other $50k - the back itself - I have no idea how you get around that!! :)

Shashin

Why get fixated on the cost. Those that really want this will pay whatever is needed to get it and Phase One know that. For the rest of the tyre kickers (or voyeurs) get over it.

This $$ cost thing gets really, truly tedious. There are lots of other fields where the cost of getting the very best of anything make these MFDB costs pale in comparison - think boats, cars, aeroplanes, induction fees to exclusive country/golf clubs etc etc. Get over it. :facesmack:
In the "richest" country in the world, the median household income is around $53,000. Spending $50K on one piece of camera equipment and you don't even get a lens is really unusual for most people. Most people don't even spend $50K on cars, let alone boats. And cars aren't really a "luxury."

I am not bothered by the price--we just dropped $800,000 on a Leica and the darn thing only outputs 8-bit images, but then confocal microscopes are a research tool you will not find in most people's homes.

So, I don't mind people's reactions to the price, it is pretty normal. What I do find strange is the hostility. There are many things I can't afford, but that does not make me angry. Nor do I get angry toward those that can--it is their money and more power to them. We also get to see work produced on this gear, which is great. Lets face it, the MFD forum at Get DPI is really interesting. But, the "you could have not been so stupid and got something really good for a lot less money" argument is tedious (especially when that other "cheap" camera is still considered a luxury by many metrics). I also know I can get a buzz (picture) from a Bud (iPhone), but those other more expensive beers (cameras) are just more enjoyable.

tcdeveau

In the "richest" country in the world, the median household income is around $53,000. Spending $50K on one piece of camera equipment and you don't even get a lens is really unusual for most people. Most people don't even spend $50K on cars, let alone boats. And cars aren't really a "luxury."

I am not bothered by the price--we just dropped $800,000 on a Leica and the darn thing only outputs 8-bit images, but then confocal microscopes are a research tool you will not find in most people's homes.

So, I don't mind people's reactions to the price, it is pretty normal. What I do find strange is the hostility. There are many things I can't afford, but that does not make me angry. Nor do I get angry toward those that can--it is their money and more power to them. We also get to see work produced on this gear, which is great. Lets face it, the MFD forum at Get DPI is really interesting. But, the "you could have not been so stupid and got something really good for a lot less money" argument is tedious (especially when that other "cheap" camera is still considered a luxury by many metrics). I also know I can get a buzz (picture) from a Bud (iPhone), but those other more expensive beers (cameras) are just more enjoyable.
I also don't understand the hostility towards price in a "Medium Format Systems and Digital Backs" forum. The majority of us here own MF systems, value MF systems (financially or otherwise....or else we wouldn't be here), and know the ballpark of how much these things cost...why even waste time disparaging the prices. The price for the Achro backs is going to be higher than the current IQ3 100 because these are niche products for Phase and they're not going to move them in volume. No way could I currently justify purchasing one but maybe someday, as long exposure black and white and IR has become a staple of mine. Glad to see the IQ3 Achro has live view as it will make IR work a snap. I've really gotten spoiled shooting IR with my full-spectrum A7R as live view avoids any IR focus shift, and it's hard to imagine shooting IR without liveview.

Shashin - I hope you enjoy the confocal system! I spent years imaging cells during grad school and could never convince my PI to spring for a confocal system (we demo'd some ~$100-150kish Leicas) or let me rent time at any of the confocal microscopy core centers at my university :( can't say I miss culturing and staining cells but I do miss imaging them sometimes

narikin

All true, but I think you have to see these comments in the light of the fracturing in MF gear prices that is happening now - with Fuji and Hassy bringing out sub 10k outfits, that are more advanced than Phase in many respects, wide selectable AF points, detachable EVF options, multiple lens adapters, light weight, etc, that will most likely hit 100mp by the end of the year/ early next, then.... trying to charge $40-50,000 starts to feel like out of touch pricing.

Most likely Fuji will take a look at this and release a Monochrom GFX, for under 8k, and it will do really well.

I am a Phase owner of many years/generations, and I do well financially as a photographer, but I see myself going to Fuji, if the next generation is 100mp as rumors have it. Phase need a kick*** new mirrorless camera, at half the price of an XF setup, if they want to retain my custom. I suspect I'm not alone...

Shashin

Shashin - I hope you enjoy the confocal system! I spent years imaging cells during grad school and could never convince my PI to spring for a confocal system (we demo'd some ~$100-150kish Leicas) or let me rent time at any of the confocal microscopy core centers at my university :( can't say I miss culturing and staining cells but I do miss imaging them sometimes
Well, I don't do the biology stuff--my background is in imaging and I do training and finding imaging solutions for researchers. But it is a great scope--we run an open lab and do not charge for use. I never understood charging for microscope time, but maybe we are spoiled. If you have $800K to blow, I can highly recommend it! :)

tcdeveau

Most likely Fuji will take a look at this and release a Monochrom GFX, for under 8k, and it will do really well.
I really do hope more manufacturers (ie Hasselblad and Fuji) jump into the Achromatic/Monochrom MF game to create some competition. I would not be mad about a monochrom GFX....but in the meantime I'm looking forward to drooling over more images of/from the IQ3 Achro

iiiNelson

All true, but I think you have to see these comments in the light of the fracturing in MF gear prices that is happening now - with Fuji and Hassy bringing out sub 10k outfits, that are more advanced than Phase in many respects, wide selectable AF points, detachable EVF options, multiple lens adapters, light weight, etc, that will most likely hit 100mp by the end of the year/ early next, then.... trying to charge $40-50,000 starts to feel like out of touch pricing.

I am a Phase owner of many years/generations, and I do well financially as a photographer, but I see myself going to Fuji, if the next generation is 100mp as rumors have it. Phase need a kick*** new mirrorless camera, at half the price of an XF setup, if they want to retain my custom. I suspect I'm not alone...
I agree and I wonder if Phase One has some exclusive partnership with Sony. It seems that Sony has gone to Capture One as the preferred RAW converter and Phase One seems to have access and supply to Sony sensors a bit quicker than the competition. If that's the case, it would be smart for Phase One Enginneers to collaborate with Sony on a mirrorless medium format system to compete with the Leica S, Hasselblad X, Fuji GFX, and Pentax 645... hell they can even brand it as a Leaf (in the $10-15k range) to maintain the "budget cropped sensor MF" and a Phase One branded Full Frame MF camera (in the $15-25k range.)

Just a desired camera for competition.

bernardl

I really do hope more manufacturers (ie Hasselblad and Fuji) jump into the Achromatic/Monochrom MF game to create some competition. I would not be mad about a monochrom GFX....but in the meantime I'm looking forward to drooling over more images of/from the IQ3 Achro
I was just thinking the same, Hasselblad has a great history with B&W photography and I wouldn't be surprised to see a X1D-BW show up next year.

But for now good play from P1 with a unique product that should be brilliant.

Cheers,
Bernard

narikin

Anyone tried one yet, either purchased or rented?
I have, briefly. All I can tell you is that the high ISO is very *very* clean. Amazingly so. Base is 200, so of course that and 400 are excellent, but 800, 1600 and even 3200 are really really smooth - quite shockingly so.

Guess this opens up new opportunities for low light work, and/or hand held, motion freezing MF work... in b/w of course!

algrove

I have, briefly. All I can tell you is that the high ISO is very *very* clean. Amazingly so. Base is 200, so of course that and 400 are excellent, but 800, 1600 and even 3200 are really really smooth - quite shockingly so.

Guess this opens up new opportunities for low light work, and/or hand held, motion freezing MF work... in b/w of course!
Thanks. That's good info. It should be better than a B&W convert from an IQ3100, but did you have a chance to try that comparison at base ISO for both?