The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 Achromatic!

gerald.d

Hi all -

A bit of a scoop from Dubai here, where Phase One are showing the yet-to-be-officially-announced IQ3 100 Achromatic at Photography Live.

I was offered a play, but I refused as I just know that one look at a file coming off this and I'll be crying for years because I'll never be able to afford it :D

Kind regards,

Gerald.

aztwang

Love to see some files. When the iq260 Achromatic came out it was jaw dropping. I can imagine what these files look like!:bugeyes:

narikin

Happy to see it, but I recall a discussion a year ago with a very knowledgeable dealer about Achromatic backs, and his highly informed opinion was that they used to be a big step up from b/w outputs via C1 on regular color back files, but now... those conversion algorithms were much better and the difference has narrowed to the point where there was little real world benefit. So this will prove/disprove that!

That said an achromatic back has no/minimal color filters above the lightwells, so a much faster base ISO -any idea what this was? I'd imagine 200 or 400 as the new base!

Also resolution will be through the roof with this. Yes still 'only' 100mp, but no Bayer de-mosaic guesswork = much sharper images. Wonder what lenses are up to it?!

tcdeveau

Oh my....

I wonder what the max shutter speed will be? If i recall correctly the 260 Achro was handicapped in this regard compared to the normal 260

To be honest I'd rather save the spoiler for the 150MP IMX411 next year (prototype of FSI version and BSI version may both exist now). Now that they know you'd leak the pictures online, it kind of reduces the chance that you can leak it next time.

gerald.d

To be honest I'd rather save the spoiler for the 150MP IMX411 next year (prototype of FSI version and BSI version may both exist now). Now that they know you'd leak the pictures online, it kind of reduces the chance that you can leak it next time.
To be honest, I'd rather you kept your inane comments to yourself.

danlindberg

The most desirable back in my book. I'm going to make a very bold statement here - I honestly believe I could have been happy, satisfied and competitive with this back for 10+ years. Dante would have had to work hard to make me change that one....

Last edited:

photo-bowman

Just so I get it correctly..... a B/W back with 100MP like the Leica monochrome?

Sounds yummie if it were not so expensive

narikin

Just so I get it correctly..... a B/W back with 100MP like the Leica monochrome?

Sounds yummie if it were not so expensive
um yes, but in fact this is the 3rd version Achromat back from Phase , so the Leica Monochrome is the one "like" Phase, not the reverse..

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
um yes, but in fact this is the 3rd version Achromat back from Phase , so the Leica Monochrome is the one "like" Phase, not the reverse..
Well, if we're being pedantic there were many many achromatic cameras before either Leica or Phase made one. The first digital sensors were all black and white :).

That said, the broader point that Phase One has significant history with infrared color backs, infrared black and white backs, and visible-only black and white backs that is both true and pertinent. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
And let's not forget about Leaf either when it comes to the full spectrum / IR options in the past. :thumbup:

GrahamWelland

Happy to see it, but I recall a discussion a year ago with a very knowledgeable dealer about Achromatic backs, and his highly informed opinion was that they used to be a big step up from b/w outputs via C1 on regular color back files, but now... those conversion algorithms were much better and the difference has narrowed to the point where there was little real world benefit. So this will prove/disprove that!

That said an achromatic back has no/minimal color filters above the lightwells, so a much faster base ISO -any idea what this was? I'd imagine 200 or 400 as the new base!

Also resolution will be through the roof with this. Yes still 'only' 100mp, but no Bayer de-mosaic guesswork = much sharper images. Wonder what lenses are up to it?!
I think that the folks who really really want/use the achromatic backs tend to be those for whom the 2% difference or subtlety is worth the cost.

Now that's not me fortunately - phew! :thumbup: ( although I confess that I do have a Leica Monochrom 246).

kdphotography

Well, I guess that means I can't borrow Graham's IQ3 100 Achromatic... :D

I used the IQ260 Achromatic tethered with a Surface Pro and thought it was really nice. Printed a great image on my K7 B&W Piezography printer. I'd love to see what the IQ3 version can do.

ken

GrahamWelland

Well, I guess that means I can't borrow Graham's IQ3 100 Achromatic... :D
:ROTFL:

I used the IQ260 Achromatic tethered with a Surface Pro and thought it was really nice. Printed a great image on my K7 B&W Piezography printer. I'd love to see what the IQ3 version can do.

ken
I wandered around Havana with the IQ260 Achromatic - great images but be sure to use extreme caution to protect the highlights.