The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar 54M

young'ee

last night, in my sleep, i got a message from Dante......

"Acquire a Sinar 54M fat pixel back"

So, doing as I have been told I am interested in picking up a Sinar 54M back.

Wondering if anyone here has ever used one and what they thought of it in terms of IQ and day to day handling and usage.

Thanks

young'ee

This is all i have found so far.

View attachment Sinarback 54 - Matrix CZ.pdf

View attachment sinarback_digitalni_kazety_54M_en.pdf

I realise not that many people here would be that interested in this back these days - but i have a fat pixel addiction that i need to feed.

I am really fascinated by Sinar backs. They dont seem to be mentioned much and not that much hands on info out there about them.

Surely there are other fat pixel fanatics on the forums here?

If anyone has a Sinar back for sale, i'm interested.

Last edited:

Paratom

last night, in my sleep, i got a message from Dante......

"Acquire a Sinar 54M fat pixel back"

So, doing as I have been told I am interested in picking up a Sinar 54M back.

Wondering if anyone here has ever used one and what they thought of it in terms of IQ and day to day handling and usage.

Thanks
I once had one on a Hy6. I really enjoyed the IQ (up to ISO 400 max). One of the best backs I have used in regards of skin tones.

Geoff

Rarely seen in the US. Well regarded among those who have used them (largely in Europe). At one time were featured with Hy6 body as an integrated package.

Sinar backs featured an adaptable mount (nice), and advertised an optional rotating adapter, so the back could pivot between portrait and landscape. The later Esprit versions (not the 54M) exported tiffs, instead of having to use Sinar's own software, unlike the earlier backs. I believe they are still supported by Sinar in Switzerland.

View attachment Sinar_Hy6_system overall.pdf

young'ee

Hey, great input !

Can anyone who has used a 54M explain its day to day workings and software?

I mean, i believe this back is tethered only - is it mac only or can one use a windows PC to tether to it? What software package does it use and up to which ver ? I think Sinar had pretty good live view on its tethered backs but not sure on that as it is CCD after all. I know its firewire (i think fw 400?)

The data sheet i posted a few posts up say its a 22MP Kodak sensor - so fat pixel family.

Any info on usage and work flow would be very interesting.

I am still hunting for info so will post it as i find it.

Still looking for a mint low usage one if there is one out there.

**Edit** Ok so all the info is in those data sheets - Mac OS/Tether Only/FW 400. So looks like i need a modbook pro to use this in the field in tablet mode.

Last edited:

Charles S

Hey, great input !

Can anyone who has used a 54M explain its day to day workings and software?

I mean, i believe this back is tethered only - is it mac only or can one use a windows PC to tether to it? What software package does it use and up to which ver ? I think Sinar had pretty good live view on its tethered backs but not sure on that as it is CCD after all. I know its firewire (i think fw 400?)

The data sheet i posted a few posts up say its a 22MP Kodak sensor - so fat pixel family.

Any info on usage and work flow would be very interesting.

I am still hunting for info so will post it as i find it.

Still looking for a mint low usage one if there is one out there.

**Edit** Ok so all the info is in those data sheets - Mac OS/Tether Only/FW 400. So looks like i need a modbook pro to use this in the field in tablet mode.
Sinar is now owned by Leica, so they might be able to help. Also, I believe th back was manufactured by Jenoptik, who may have information available

Chapel

I had one with a Mamiya AFDII. The files were real nice. I like the Fat pixel look. You have to use Sinar's Captureshop software and it only shoots tethered. I found the software a little unstable. You will also need the "white Reference" software which is unique to each back. If it doesn't have it you can order it from a Sinar dealer. It's a CCD back and works best at the base ISO like 25 or 50. I can't remember. I never got live view to work. It took something besides just the back which I didn't have. I think you have to use a Mac with Captureshop and you also need a firewire port on the computer. I ended up with a mid 2012 MacBook pro because it has the correct powered firewire port to run the back.

Hope that helps.

Greg

young'ee

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input - great info there. I thought Sinar had some special live view setup - at least better then what the other backs of that era had - i am sure i read something in a brochure online somewhere about thier live view being best.

Ben,

I remember Kays Photographic from back in the day. (that shows my age). I am not in Australia anymore - but when i need more Sinar info (want to get into a P3) i might do as you say - contact David Kay to figure out whats needed to put together a system

I've managed to pickup a 54H multishot. Still looking for any other 22MP Sinar backs - only want 9 micron at this point. And i'm getting a collection together - got the 54H 22MP, a db20p Rollei (phase one) version 16MP, a Kodak Pro Plus 16MP and made offers on a 96c and a 528c. It's the new thing as we go into the next decade - collecting old DB's

Charles S

Got the 96C for my Blad, and I love it

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input - great info there. I thought Sinar had some special live view setup - at least better then what the other backs of that era had - i am sure i read something in a brochure online somewhere about thier live view being best.

Ben,

I remember Kays Photographic from back in the day. (that shows my age). I am not in Australia anymore - but when i need more Sinar info (want to get into a P3) i might do as you say - contact David Kay to figure out whats needed to put together a system

I've managed to pickup a 54H multishot. Still looking for any other 22MP Sinar backs - only want 9 micron at this point. And i'm getting a collection together - got the 54H 22MP, a db20p Rollei (phase one) version 16MP, a Kodak Pro Plus 16MP and made offers on a 96c and a 528c. It's the new thing as we go into the next decade - collecting old DB's

Chapel

I had to get a mid 2012 MacBook pro. It has the powered FireWire port. It's about 2 years old and I bought new at Best buy.
Greg

young'ee

Thanks Luis.

Is it OK with you for me to post that info here? Not that i expect there are too many others out there interested in these backs anymore but someone else may stumble across this thread in some decade ahead while they are researching how photos used to get taken at the start of the digital age and be interested in how the 54M worked.

Steve,

I know you are reading this thread. Maybe you could post your about to be had experience with the 54H on the GX680?

Rgds

OliverM

I had P65+, Leaf 75s and still have Sinar 54lv (and a second eMotion22, which is the same back).
Phase in significantly more convenient to use and way lighter, also better technical specs (pixels and DR). Poor software, I just use it for transforming to dog and then uses Lightroom. Works fine enough.
But the most pleasant looking pictures come from the Sinar. Best colours.
Used it with an alpa TC and a contax 645. Now only with Contax. Again only drawback is weight.
My mistake is to use a sony A7r because of the weight, which btw I use less and less as pictures are boring. My future should be Contax/Sinar when I want the best pictures, and iphone 6+ when I don't want to carry anything ...
(next future might be Hasselblad X1D, will wait until price drops by 3 ...)
Can't comment about the 54M which is a very different purpose camera, except that I assume colors are similar so excellent/unique.

young'ee

What is the difference between the 54lv and the 54M ? Are they the same back, sensor etc or different?

Maybe different generations perhaps?

OliverM

What is the difference between the 54lv and the 54M ? Are they the same back, sensor etc or different?

Maybe different generations perhaps?
My understanding, but I only know and have the 54LV and emotion22, so might not be exact :
54M has no internal memory / card, works tethered only
54LV has the same sensor (I believe), but in autonomous, with a small screen (good enough to watch the framing and the curve, but rather prehistorical quality), batteries, CF card, interchangeable camera mount adapter.
eMotion22 is the exact same back as the 54lv, branded differently. (I can't tell which is which, IQ wise).
54H is a multi-shot back, for static studio photography.

young'ee

Hi Oliver,

That's good to know.

In that case there is little reason to go for a 54M over a 54LV.

I wonder if there is some difference between the 54LV and emotion 22? I see references here and there to the emotion series as working with software that the 54 series does not. Next time i came across references to emotion working /not working on equipment or software i will post it here for completeness.

These are old backs - all of this info is probably buried in old forum archives - it's nice to bring it back to the surface as a reference point should anyone be wanting to quickly know what is what with the Sinar Series of backs.

young'ee

The 54H.

I have manged to get hold of one of these. Its been sent to a friend to try out on a GX680 before it comes out to me.

I wonder if the 4 shot mode could be used in landscapes - scenes where there is NO movement? Will be interesting to find out by trial and error. I mean, the Betterlight scanning backs are used for landscapes, so for the right type of landscape a 4 shot exposure should work i would think?

Hmmm, definitely interesting times ahead in messing about with the 54H.

Last edited: