The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar 54M

OliverM

I wonder if there is some difference between the 54LV and emotion 22?
Both work with same software, really not a single difference for the user. Maybe one was built after the other, but I could not tell which.
I bought with the 54lv first and liked it so much that I couldn't resist buying a second one 2 years after, for a second camera. Honestly that was a bit exagerated, but when you love, you don't count ...
An issue could be to find the right camera adapter .. I have one contax and one mamiya, but only had contax cameras (also alpa adapter for contax) ... So I never used both backs at the same time ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 54H.

I have manged to get hold of one of these. Its been sent to a friend to try out on a GX680 before it comes out to me.

I wonder if the 4 shot mode could be used in landscapes - scenes where there is NO movement? Will be interesting to find out by trial and error. I mean, the Betterlight scanning backs are used for landscapes, so for the right type of landscape a 4 shot exposure should work i would think?

Hmmm, definitely interesting times ahead in messing about with the 54H.
Please report how the 54H is working on your friend's GX680. I've been considering one for my own GX680, and since I'm currently reserving a room in the house where I live for object and macro photography, that would be an interesting option for some of that work. Can I ask how much you had to pay for it?

The last time I considered that back, two of the copies that I considered had a problem with the multishot function. Sinar's attitude towards that kind of problems with old backs like these seemed to be that it's not worth the effort to fix. Something to be aware of.

young'ee

Hi Jorgen,

I will be interested to hear myself how it goes as I have a GX680III inbound to me - hope to receive it this week. The 54H was bought last week and has been sent to a friend to check it out before it comes out to me. I hope this 54H is a good one - it came from a well known photographer - so i would think its OK. We'll see.

I am hoping the 54H is a good match with the GX680.

I had an email conversation today with a guy who says the 54H also does single shot as well as MS. I was under the impression from my research that the 54M does single shot and the 54H only does MS.

Given the input above about the 54LV I am struggling to understand the purpose of the 54M. I can only surmise that the 54M came first and the 54LV came some time AFTER the 54M hit the market ?

I am trying to gleen as much info as I can from real users of the Sinar backs - the branding of the Sinar backs is confusing for the uninitiated.

young'ee

Oliver,

You mention that an Emotion 22 is the same as a Jenoptik?

Do you mean the Jenoptik Eyelike M22 is the same as the Sinar Emotion 22 ?

I just bought an Eyelike M22. Found this info on the net about the M22 - not sure how true it all is, its Internet Intel after all .....

"Basic specs: 22MP 48mmx36mm sensor, from the most successful generation of medium format sensors ever. Can do single shot, single shot + (hardware moire reduction, a unique feature of this back), 4-shot true color, and 16-shot true color 88MP! Firewire interface. Adapters were available and are easily swappable for Contax, Mamiya and Hasselblad. (others?)

Comparison to Sinarback 54H: This is essentially the same back as the Sinar: same sensor, same multishot technology. Basically, Sinar licensed their tech from Jenoptik. However, this partnership lead, soon after the release of this back, to Jenoptik buying Sinar outright, and continuing only the Sinar-branded digital backs. That's why the Sinback 54H went on to legendary status and is still widely in use today, whereas the Eyelike M22 is far less well known, even though it is even more advanced. It can do everything the Sinarback can, plus 1 shot hardware anti-moire, plus directly control Rollei and Schneider electronic shutters! It is also more robust, with a metal body instead of plastic. However, the two backs use essentially different software. (With some file processing overlap in a number of pieces of software produced by Sinar.) The Eyelike backs are still supported and serviced by Sinar (which Jenoptik eventually sold to Leica)."

THIS JUMPS OUT AT ME ...plus directly control Rollei and Schneider electronic shutters!

Thats interesting as i have a 6008AF and a HY6 is on the shopping list. My wallet is groaning now as i add those Schneider Rollei lenses to the shopping list to support those bodies (got the 80mm AF with the 6008AF)

But what does it mean that the M22 back can directly control Rollei and Schneider electronic shutters?

So will a Sinar Emotion 22 be exactly the same as the Eyelike M22? Software used is the same? Any internal fw differences etc or EXACTLY the same?

I suppose picking up a Sinar Emotion 22 would answer my questions.

Another snippet from this forum (amazing treasure trove of info here if you dig deep enough)

"(Sinar is the only one that supports the 200 series with FE optics)"

Does this apply to ALL Sinar backs re the 203FE and FE Optics? I have a 203FE with a complement of FE optics and the 203FE body was modified to accept digital backs ( I am of the understanding that this mod allowed the use of CFV backs only)

So will the Eyelike M22 work with the 203FE (Eyelike being an Emotion 22 in different skin)?

Will the 54H work on the 203FE ?

So many Sinar questions......... and not enough info out there on these backs and thier peculiarities

OliverM

Mine is "Eyelike eMotion 22" ... not M22 ... again a new model or just branding ... looks like marketing for washing machines ...

eMotion 22, maybe Live View apart, really similar to the Sinar 54lv.
And to illustrate ... when I bought the 22, I installed the contax adapter and didn't see any difference, neither in usage nor IQ, so never mounted the Sinar again ...

snar 1.jpg

OliverM

Thanks, I thought some pictures would give some hope ;)
First is with Contax/80mm and 2 other ones with Alpa TC and Rod.35 AAA.

OliverM

Not same conditions, but illustrates the kind of difference between sony A7R nice digital files and the great 3D and textured look of Contax/Sinar ...

sony 1-2.jpg
sinar 1-2.jpg

fotolli

Great to see that there a few sinar people around.
I did have the Emotion 54LV for a while and have the Emotion 75LV at the moment. Love the colours the Dalsa Sensor delivers in combination with Hasselblad H glass

I would also love to bring my Contax 645 into play, but I am still seeking for the adapter.

Hence if anyone has a spare adapter for the Contax 645 Emotion series, I would love to buy it or swap for a Mamiya 645 AF or 67RZ one, which I happen to have.
The adapter from the Eyelike Precision M22 would also work.

Thanks a lot,

Oliver

young'ee

Hi Oliver,

Would you be able to post the Sinar number on the RZ adaptor you have - I just bought a Sinar RZ adaptor - but dont know for which Sinar back the adaptor is meant - the number on the adaptor i bought is 551.43.241.

I hope to be able to mount my 54H or Eyelike M22 to my RZ Pro IID. If it turns out the adaptor i bought is for another Sinar back.....well i guess it's an excuse to buy that Sinar back so that adaptor is not wasted :)

If you PM me your email address and tell me EXACTLY which adaptor you need i will give you a shout if i come across one. I spend at least 3 or 4 hours a day scanning for sale ads on Sinar gear looking for the parts i need. So its quite likely i will eventually come across the one you need. I dont have a contax and have no plans to get one, so happy to give you the heads up if i see one.

fotolli

Hi there,

the number of the RZ adapter for the Emotion Series is 552.36.271 It should fit your Precision M22, as well.

There are three models of the Contax 645 adapter for the emotion series with numbers 552.36.077 / 552.36.177 / 552.36.277

Best,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Would you be able to post the Sinar number on the RZ adaptor you have - I just bought a Sinar RZ adaptor - but dont know for which Sinar back the adaptor is meant - the number on the adaptor i bought is 551.43.241.

I hope to be able to mount my 54H or Eyelike M22 to my RZ Pro IID. If it turns out the adaptor i bought is for another Sinar back.....well i guess it's an excuse to buy that Sinar back so that adaptor is not wasted :)

If you PM me your email address and tell me EXACTLY which adaptor you need i will give you a shout if i come across one. I spend at least 3 or 4 hours a day scanning for sale ads on Sinar gear looking for the parts i need. So its quite likely i will eventually come across the one you need. I dont have a contax and have no plans to get one, so happy to give you the heads up if i see one.[/QUOTE]

arionelli

Interesting thread and nice pics...I have the mamiya adaptor for 54lv and 75lv emo backs, which I will gladly swap for one for the Hasselblad V or consider buying one. I think it is for mam 645..I will check and if I can see the code no. I'll post it...ps, the highway background is very nice Oliver

Martin