The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to MF with H5D-50c Wi-Fi...questions.

dave.gt

After many years shooting with Nikon, I am now fully committed to MF. I feel this forum is like walking into a new world and I am looking forward to learning from you as I soon take delivery of a pre-owned H5D-50c WiFi.

I have researched this camera for months yet I have many questions that arise each day. The first is the recommended CF cards. I have the older chart from Hasselblad but I would like to know what users in this forum are using in their H5D camera. Do you tend to use a large capacity card or several smaller ones? Lexar or SanDisk?

I need to order these soon but I would appreciate your input first. Thanks in advance!:)

JohnBrew

Dave, welcome to the forum and congrats. I've shot this camera and can say with the more studied approach to photography that accompanies MF (if you're doing landscape, like me), a 16gb card works just fine. Now if you're on several day shoot somewhere or shooting fashion or catalog shots then requirements are probably different and I know the nice guys here will chip in with better advice.

SrMphoto

Used to have H5D-50C wifi (upgraded to H6D), never had any issues with various CF cards. I used 64Gb cards, never had to replace them in the field as I format them once the images are transferred to the computer. A fast card, combined with a fast card reader shortens the import time considerably.

dave.gt

Used to have H5D-50C wifi (upgraded to H6D), never had any issues with various CF cards. I used 64Gb cards, never had to replace them in the field as I format them once the images are transferred to the computer. A fast card, combined with a fast card reader shortens the import time considerably.
Hey, thanks!!! That is good to know. I have never used a high capacity card so I was beginning to wonder if the mid-range was a good choice. Import time is an important consideration for me. Hmmm...,

photo-bowman

I have researched this camera for months yet I have many questions that arise each day. The first is the recommended CF cards. I have the older chart from Hasselblad but I would like to know what users in this forum are using in their H5D camera. Do you tend to use a large capacity card or several smaller ones? Lexar or SanDisk?

I need to order these soon but I would appreciate your input first. Thanks in advance!:)

Well....here is my 5ct

I got a CFV50c back (basically same sensor). 16GB is enough Ì think for most projects. And you can always have extra cards.
Just get High End gear.... would be a shame when things go bad on a trivial thing like cheap CF Cards. Personally I choose the Lexar cards. Don't have to be the fast ones....

dave.gt

Well....here is my 5ct

I got a CFV50c back (basically same sensor). 16GB is enough Ì think for most projects. And you can always have extra cards.
Just get High End gear.... would be a shame when things go bad on a trivial thing like cheap CF Cards. Personally I choose the Lexar cards. Don't have to be the fast ones....
Thanks! I have decided on Lexar CF cards. Portrait shoots on-location will be my main area of work for the rest of 2017. I have decided on picking up four CF cards for the upcoming photo shoots in July. Probably 32GB as they are a good in-between capacity.

What minimum card speed would be best?

fiver

Have sandisk extreme 32gb on all my hasselblads, they can take 128gb but the smaller capacity means I can have more, as one day they will fail.

dave.gt

Next question is the IPad. Mine needs replacing to use Phocus for wi-fi transmission as it is an iPad2.

My thinking is that I will use a new/newer iPad to check the jpeg image for focus, composition, etc. as well as for the client/motif to review prior to ending the session. So, which iPad do you guys recommend and do you mount it on a tripod or just leave it with an assistant? Just wondering if the mini is too small for that use.

photo-bowman

Next question is the IPad. Mine needs replacing to use Phocus for wi-fi transmission as it is an iPad2.

My thinking is that I will use a new/newer iPad to check the jpeg image for focus, composition, etc. as well as for the client/motif to review prior to ending the session. So, which iPad do you guys recommend and do you mount it on a tripod or just leave it with an assistant? Just wondering if the mini is too small for that use.

I fo love my Android gear but here Hasselblad on my opinion has really dropped the ball big time. Shame!

There is some fine gear with android out there you not get the right support and apps for.
Apple IMHO dropped the ball since Steve Jobs has passed away.....