The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ A matte screen vs Maxwell HI-LUX Brilliant Matte Screen

robdeszan

Hello all,

I've gone through some older threads in the forum in trying to find some info regarding difference and/or improvements when using Maxwell HI-LUX Brilliant Matte focusing screen over the stock Mamiya RZ A type (matte screen). I spoke to Bill at Maxwell optics and got a lot of information re my options and, for my use, the matte would be optimal. I've already tried Mamiya's type E (Rangefinder spot with microprism) and I get very similar results in terms of focus accuracy but I hate the centre > focus > recompose (I am aware of possible focus shift) as my composition often involves objects on the edges of the focusing screen.

RZ's A type screen is not bad and the cost of the Maxwell screen is $395. The question, for those that had a chance to use both types, is: was it worth it?

Many thanks!

Pat

ocarlo

Not being scientifically precise, this won't be helpful, but -
I too received the 45min lecture by Bill lol.
Installed it on my RZ ProIID when I got into the format from the getgo.
I'd say it did help, but I was simply expecting something more dramatic.
Just ageing eyes, is all, and I went through all the viewfinders and am now using the chimney.
Just got a Promaster magnifier and will try to make that work soon.
cheers

robdeszan

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Bill goes into great detail explaining things and different scenarios. :) I guess he wants to make sure you understand the differences between them.

Mamiya screens aren't bad anyway. Judging from different post on photography forums they often adapt RB focusing screens to install in other MF cameras and comment on overall improvement.

Not really related to this particular question but on my nikon d810 (with zeiss lenses), for instance, I went from having standard eyepiece / focusing screen (not good enough for manual focusing with) to dk17m x1.2 magnifier installed (some improvement but not good enough still) to a custom focusing screen from (Focusing Screen) and a long process of fine tuning with different shims after which I was confident using the optical viewfinder for focusing (even wide open).

Each of those on their own was merely an incremental improvement but combined, worked really well. I have already installed a custom viewfinder as per this post https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...r-use-loupe-rz-wlf.html?highlight=#post711771 and it definitely improved things. I am hoping it will stack up in a similar way.

The posts I've seen online on Maxwell screens look amazing, especially this pronounced effect on a LF camera, see here: Maxwell Screen: Seeing is Believing ? Alan Brock Images

Pat

Last edited:

ocarlo

lol duh! It was you I got the Promaster idea from haha.
With the IQ180, checking focus will be much easier now, but will
still recreate your rig soon, with some black cloth and gaffer tape.
and a cap for the magnifier against the African sun when I'm not using it..
thanks!!

Michael Nelson

Yes, it was worth the $400 for his screen! (I have the RZ & RZpro2). And yes, old age has arrived. I use a magnifier for critical focus (which is most of the time...:))

robdeszan

Well, the screen was finally installed a couple of days ago and I am astonished at the difference it has made.

It is both clearer and brighter than the stock focusing screens, it almost amplifies light (!?). Corner / far edge lack of clarity is no longer an issue. Some of online comments regarding using brighter screens in general suggested that the increased brightness comes at a cost of less 'pop' when object come in focus. I've experience no such issue; in fact, focusing accuracy is much more precise and camera is definitely easier to focus. Thanks to the increased precision, photos are sharper as a result, even wide open. Thoroughly recommended!

tjv

Good to hear it works as advertised!

I ordered and paid for a Maxwell screen for V about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything of progress from Bill yet. How long did he take to get the screen to you? I don't want to send a message and come across as badgering him if his normal shipping times are quite long-he talked over the phone about everything except timeframe.

Thanks,

TJV

robdeszan

Not long at all in my case. I did send him my own focusing screen so he did not have to source one for me, though. I posted it on the 11th of May (UK to US took about a week) and got an email on the 29th of May that it was ready to be shipped back.

I would email him to get an update; make sure you follow the email reply procedure i.e. paste the correct email rather than hit reply. If you hit reply the email changes to "maxwellprecisionoptics (at) zoho.com" rather than "maxwellprecisionoptics (at) yahoo.com" - he mentions that in his emails.

Pat

Good to hear it works as advertised!

I ordered and paid for a Maxwell screen for V about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything of progress from Bill yet. How long did he take to get the screen to you? I don't want to send a message and come across as badgering him if his normal shipping times are quite long-he talked over the phone about everything except timeframe.

Thanks,

TJV