The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Airline electronics ban

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
If DHS announces today or tomorrow a ban on laptops and "large electronics" (larger than a cellphone) in carryons for international flights, I'm wondering if that will include cameras, especially medium-format cameras? Crap.

tim

JohnBrew

I believe you can hand your film to a TSA employee and ask for it to be checked by hand thus avoiding any scanning.
You can also use a pouch type film carrier (sold by B&H and others) which is supposed to protect the film during scanning.
I used one for a long time but I last did this in 2010 and I'm certain the scanning levels have been elevated since then.

Of course you could always just take your camera, leave the batteries at home and buy new at your destination. Assuming
your destination is not too third-world :grin:

tsjanik

Time to shoot film.
For me there is some irony here. It was the difficulty of traveling with film that pushed me to digital. I once had to remove 30 rolls of 220 film from their foil wraps so a TSA agent could scan swipes from each roll with their mass spectrometer. On my return from Munich, the film would have been x-rayed twice had I not insisted on hand inspection.

Tom

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And coming back from West Africa with some 50 rolls of film ... almost came to blows with
the Heathrow inspector who insisted that XRays did not affect film ... ended up being placed
on a watch list due to the interaction ... 500AM London after traveling for some 26 hours.

The film ended up being scanned ... and I moved to digital soon thereafter.

NO film is not the answer ... your own airplane and unlimited resources may be.

Nothing I did on film cannot be replicated or improved on with the new digital sensors.

Don't blame the airlines ... look to the idiots waging Jihad ...

JMHO

Bob

V

Vivek

Of course you could always just take your camera, leave the batteries at home and buy new at your destination. Assuming
your destination is not too third-world :grin:
At most places, you are required to switch on and show that the camera works to take an image!

One could also consider moving to a third world country to avoid all the hassle, especially considering the fact that most batteries are made there! :grin:

Last edited:
Can technical cameras still be taken on board as hand baggage without the digital back? Copal 0 shutters are so fragile that it might not be a good idea to put the lenses in dropped-off baggage.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interestingly, since I live in a country where terrorist attacks are everyday news and often travel to at least one country where there are also frequent terrorist attacks, the rules for what can be brought as carry-on luggage on-board airplanes to and from most of these countries are very relaxed. Still, there's hasn't been a single airplane bombing within this area for as long as I can remember. Shopping malls, hotels and nightclubs on the other hand seem to be popular targets.

While terrorist actions against airplanes are indeed spectacular, they don't kill any more people than a terrorist attack against any other target where hundreds of people are gathered. These attacks happen on a regular basis in large parts of the world, even in my mostly peaceful home country Norway. Me thinks the hysteria and fear mongering is on the account of the politicians and bureaucrats who make the rules. Only dialogue will stop terrorism.

cerett

If DHS announces today or tomorrow a ban on laptops and "large electronics" (larger than a cellphone) in carryons for international flights, I'm wondering if that will include cameras, especially medium-format cameras? Crap.

tim
That is a frightening proposition, particularly if it extends to domestic flights. Also, I have upcoming trips to Ireland and Iceland later this year. There is no way in hell that I am going to put my medium format camera in checked baggage. This is really a mess!

docmoore

hysteria and fear mongering is on the account of the politicians and bureaucrats who make the rules. Only dialogue will stop terrorism.
Hysteria and fear mongering ...

This is what the terrorist seeks ... and this goes back to 1900's ... dialogue will not stop terrorism ... ISIL is committed to see an apocolypse
and to bring on the end of the world as we know it.

Hopefully the politicians and bureaucrats will stand up to the threat and after the fascists have been subdued dialogue will be successful.

History repeats itself and it seems like the majority cannot see the light within the darkness.

Just sayin'

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hysteria and fear mongering ...

This is what the terrorist seeks ... and this goes back to 1900's ... dialogue will not stop terrorism ... ISIL is committed to see an apocolypse
and to bring on the end of the world as we know it.

Hopefully the politicians and bureaucrats will stand up to the threat and after the fascists have been subdued dialogue will be successful.

History repeats itself and it seems like the majority cannot see the light within the darkness.

Just sayin'

Bob
ISIL, Daesh or whatever you choose to call them has as far as I know never hijacked or bombed a single civil airplane. They have much more efficient means of killing and terrorising people. Their most important weapon is making you and your government fear that they might bomb an airplane. In that, they have already succeeded, so there are not really any good reasons for them to actually do it.

As for dialogue, do you remember the IRA?

fotografz

ISIL, Daesh or whatever you choose to call them has as far as I know never hijacked or bombed a single civil airplane. They have much more efficient means of killing and terrorising people. Their most important weapon is making you and your government fear that they might bomb an airplane. In that, they have already succeeded, so there are not really any good reasons for them to actually do it.

As for dialogue, do you remember the IRA?
Tell that to 224 passengers aboard the Russian Metrojet passenger plane bombed in midair in Oct of 2015 ... and claimed by ISIS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-improvised-bomb-russian-metrojet-plane-egypt-sinai-isis/

This is probably not the place to share political opinions ...

- Marc

docmoore

Are you kidding?

I was a student at Oxford when the IRA bombed the financial district of London ....

Truth is terrorism is a vain effort to influence people who fear random events.

I believe that our days are numbered, life is short and brutal and one hopes for a better
existence hereafter ... take it for what you will.

ISIL Daesh and their minions are minor players in the history of the world. They rank very low
from the standpoint of the spectrum of bad actors.

Shame that the West has lost its resolve and cannot articulate reasons to oppose such a motley crew.

Cannot dialog with these folks ... destroy their infrastucture and power base and watch them fold like so
many historical threats. The majority of their subjects would rejoice in their destruction.

The truth is the majority of the west ... e.g. Europe has lost any sense of moral direction ... be it the Balkans,
the immigrants dying in the Med, or the risk from terrorists at home ... they cannot resolve to confront and
neutralize the risks.

So keep your head down ... or you might lose it.

Bob

docmoore

This is probably not the place to share political opinions ...

- Marc
I fear that you are correct ... but sensible articulate adults in the West need
to address these threats.

If you have a better venue please share it.

I apologize to all those who have no clue how close we are to losing those ideals
we hold so dear.

Mods ... feel free to scrub all of this ....

Bob

bernardl

If confirmed this may hurt MFDB sales to a certain extend.

If I were to travel abroad professionally I would think twice before investing in a 40,000+ US$ camera that I won't be able to bring with me on important assignments abroad.

As far as I am concerned, it will probably mean that I will avoid traveling to the US unless really mandatory.

Cheers,
Bernard

daf

You can send all the goods correctly packed in pelicans cases by Ups or FeDex ... so you can travel light, and secure, and your pelicans will be waiting for you at the hotel desk ;)

If confirmed this may hurt MFDB sales to a certain extend.

If I were to travel abroad professionally I would think twice before investing in a 40,000+ US$ camera that I won't be able to bring with me on important assignments abroad.

As far as I am concerned, it will probably mean that I will avoid traveling to the US unless really mandatory.

Cheers,
Bernard

bernardl

You can send all the goods correctly packed in pelicans cases by Ups or FeDex ... so you can travel light, and secure, and your pelicans will be waiting for you at the hotel desk ;)
Yes, you can do that.

There is some cost and timing constraints involved though.

Cheers,
Bernard

fotografz

I fear that you are correct ... but sensible articulate adults in the West need
to address these threats.

If you have a better venue please share it.

I apologize to all those who have no clue how close we are to losing those ideals
we hold so dear.

Mods ... feel free to scrub all of this ....

Bob
You are probably right Bob. The nefarious actions of a fanatical few DO have a widespread effect on us ... (including photographers here), as witnessed by the ever tightening rules of travel being discussed in this thread ... rules that potentially effect everyone.

IMHO, the ideological divide is so wide and deep I cannot fathom how "dialog" could address anything:argue:. Some of today's Pollyanna mindset is beyond the pale, wishful thinking rooted in their own cultural underpinnings which these specific terrorist do not share nor respect ... in fact are sworn to eradicate.

Heck, I wish I could have a spiritual conversation over coffee with Arjuna, ask Santa for world peace, and Jinni actually existed ... unfortunately, cultural fiction, while inspirational, isn't reality ... but it sure can wreak havoc when fanatics and the gullible of any ilk start to believe it is.

Ideally, I'd love to join hands around the world and sing Kumbaya ... but I'd probably lose that hand extended in peace, or more likely my head, in the process.:shocked:

Meanwhile, how the hell am I going to shuttle gear between my 2 places if this type of ban goes domestic?

- Marc