The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Airline electronics ban

miska

To go back on topic...
Does anybody know, if in the countries already affected by the ban, camera lenses have to be checked in or not ?
If the rule is about larger electronics in general, then I would think yes, but if it's explicitly battery powered stuff, then perhaps it is ok to take them as carry on.

On the other hand, if you have to rely on airport security interpreting fuzzy rules, you are pretty much screwed, and it will be random...

fotografz

I'm not sure I understand the strategy of banning in-cabin electronics other than cell-phones but allowing them in the cargo hold.

If hidden explosives are the issue, what difference does it make if a bomb goes off there or the cabin?

Does the TSA have far more powerful scanning and detection equipment for stowed bags?

If they intend to hand inspect and swab any electronic device in a stowed bag, that would seem a daunting task since there'll be a lot of stowed laptops.

What am I missing?

- Marc

cerett

For professional photographers it may be practical to ship equipment to their destination or rent/purchase on site. For "amateurs." like myself, who have invested in very expensive MF equipment, this does not seem at all practical or realistic. I can easily see myself staying in the USA and, sadly, avoiding foreign airports. However, this is a beautiful country and there are many places I have yet to visit.

vjbelle

I don't see the cost issue as being prohibitive. In reality the only items that would need to be shipped ahead would be the 'Electronic' items. The first 25 pounds is right around $300.00 round trip from my house to Italy. I'll be there this fall and I may try the forwarding service to see how well it works.

Victor

DrakeJ

Holy smokes, I would never ever let my MF gear get the checked in baggage treatment. Not since seeing that youtube-video on how the bags get thrown around by both personnel and the automatic baggage handling system.

ejpeiker

Holy smokes, I would never ever let my MF gear get the checked in baggage treatment. Not since seeing that youtube-video on how the bags get thrown around by both personnel and the automatic baggage handling system.
Yet when Phase One does a PODAS workshop they ship dozens of MF Phase systems and lenses as checked baggage ;)
But yes, the premise of having to do that gives me the heebie jeebies

miska

I don't see the cost issue as being prohibitive. In reality the only items that would need to be shipped ahead would be the 'Electronic' items. The first 25 pounds is right around $300.00 round trip from my house to Italy. I'll be there this fall and I may try the forwarding service to see how well it works.

Victor
I don't think cost is the main issue. I would worry more about customs, and other administrative paperwork. When you bring carry-on, with a return ticket, it is pretty easy to assume that you'll go back, with your gear.
When you ship something, customs may assume that it is an import, and will want you to pay taxes. Honestly, I am not sure how that would work. I'm sure there is a way. But is it easy ? I doubt it.
But I've never tried to do this, so I'd be interested to know how it works...

cerett

Yet when Phase One does a PODAS workshop they ship dozens of MF Phase systems and lenses as checked baggage ;)
But yes, the premise of having to do that gives me the heebie jeebies
I don't think you can compare what a manufacturer is willing to do with their product and a non-professional consumer. Indeed, the thought of shipping items and all the problems that might arise also gives me the "heebie jeebies."

MrSmith

I don't think cost is the main issue. I would worry more about customs, and other administrative paperwork. When you bring carry-on, with a return ticket, it is pretty easy to assume that you'll go back, with your gear.
When you ship something, customs may assume that it is an import, and will want you to pay taxes. Honestly, I am not sure how that would work. I'm sure there is a way. But is it easy ? I doubt it.
You need a carnet, not always easy to sort out.

vjbelle

A valid concern but I can't imagine that this hasn't been worked out. I have received items from the UK by courier and I get them in 2 days and these are items that are subject to duty. For me to hire a service to deliver to me an item owned by me when I am in a foreign country should be a no brainer. It isn't as though these services are mom and pop shops. FedEx, UPS, DHL, and a score of larger dedicated companies are involved with these services. Some guarantee deliver 'ON TIME' and will pay $500.00 on top of refunding the delivery fees if an item isn't delivered on time.

Victor

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just like to point out that there are bags and then there are carrying cases. I wouldn't ever put gear in my baggage unless it's this luggage (from my flight today in fact).

TSA locks. Copious identification both outside and inside.

That said, I'm more concerned about loss than damage.

Attachments

V

Vivek

The news from Washinton Post basically seals the fact that this will become a reality soon. Serious issue, indeed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tell that to 224 passengers aboard the Russian Metrojet passenger plane bombed in midair in Oct of 2015 ... and claimed by ISIS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-improvised-bomb-russian-metrojet-plane-egypt-sinai-isis/

This is probably not the place to share political opinions ...

- Marc
If you want to blow up a plane, doing it with a bomb in the luggage hold works as well a one in the passenger cabin. Was there ever any evidence that the Russian plane was taken down by a bomb in the cabin? The Lockerbie bomb was exactly what these new regulations will promote: A bomb (Semtex) concealed as an electronic device (a Toshiba radio recorder) among the checked in luggage.

If a bomb can't be found during the security check with the possibility of investigating each passenger when needed, there's little reason to believe that it can be found more easily with automatic scans of checked-in luggage.

As long as there are people who feel that it's justified to blow up planes, planes will be blown up. Believing anything else is naive. I'm sorry if I sound political, but this is a political question and can only be solved by political means.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's an interesting side to this seen from Asia:
Most airlines in Asia, at least the parts that I travel in, refuse to accept valuables like cameras an computers in the checked-in luggage. The reason is that at many airport, the scanners that are supposed to scan luggage for suspicious material are also used to scan for cameras etc. Checking in a camera in this part of the world basically means bye bye. Hopefully these rules will not be adapted here except for flights to the US.