The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X Pro-2 - Hasselblad H3Dii-31

Gigas

Hello from Sweden and thank you for adding me! My interest is macro photography of ornamental shrimp in aquarium. These are about 1" long and I use my Fuji X pro-2 with a 1,4 teleconverter plus an 11mm extension ring. That combination gives me a 84mm macro lens that works for me. To freeze these little shrimp I use studio flash from above and beside the lens. Settings are ISO 100-200, 250/sec. f10-8 and that works for me. But I like to step up to a bigger format for more details and tonality. Would a medium format like H3Dii-31 with a 120mm f4,0 macro give a rather big jump in quality of detail, colours and sharpness?
DSCF7936zz by Peder Lundgren, on Flickr

Shashin

Ironically, a smaller sensor camera has an advantage in macro/micro photography. You need less magnification to fill the frame and have more depth of field. Because you need more lens extension with a medium-format lens to fill the frame, you are also losing more light.

Having said that, I use a Pentax 645D with a 120mm f/4 macro lens. I have shot live animals. It is possible. Since you are using artificial light, you may be able to compensate for the limits of shooting larger formats at large magnifications. I also have an X Pro2. The 645D makes higher quality images. Not knowing that particular Hasselblad model, I can't speak to its flexibility.

Here are some shots of small things I have done for fun with the 645D and 120mm macro.

The light was just a household light bulb. The gap in the screen is about 1.5mm.