The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

PeterA

My two cents here. I'm sure that I'm one of the happier campers.

I'm also preparing an article on my use of the X1D in the Smokies. I should have it ready for prime time later this week.

BTW, I just received a UPS notice saying a shipment from Hasselblad is due to be delivered this Friday. I haven't ordered anything, so it must be the GPS accessory. Thumbs up if it is. I'm one of the few fans of GPS tagging around here.

Joe

Nice article on teh XID Joe:thumbup:

dave.gt

I'm also preparing an article on my use of the X1D in the Smokies. I should have it ready for prime time later this week.

BTW, I just received a UPS notice saying a shipment from Hasselblad is due to be delivered this Friday. I haven't ordered anything, so it must be the GPS accessory. Thumbs up if it is. I'm one of the few fans of GPS tagging around here.

Joe
Joe, great review! :)

Looks like I will be following you soon as your journey unfolds with the new X1D!:thumbup:

hcubell

Joe
I just received a UPS shipping notice from Hasselblad as well. I think it's a decal to put on the camera that says: "Professional Camera: To be Used Only by Professionals."

hcubell

Joe
I just received the package. It is the GPS module. It is very small and integrates nicely on the hot shoe of the X1D. However, there are three issues I see with it. One is the amount of battery power it consumes. There does not appear to be any way to turn it off once it is mounted. A firmware update can deal wit that. The second issue is that there is no locking mechanism, and it seems that it could slide off pretty easily. The third issue is that I am not sure how waterproof the electric contacts on the hot shoe and the GPS module are in real world usage.

iiiNelson

Joe
Hi Joe I assume that you can't answer the GFX questions but regarding the X1D see below.

Have many of the functionality bugs been ironed out and how's the operational speed to you. I go back in forth between buying into mirrorless MF or waiting for system maturity. I know that the camera will be nowhere near as responsive as smaller format based systems but do you find that the X1D gets in the way of taking photos? Should I be concerned about the product supply channel? It's been almost a year since the announcement and many announced accessories aren't shipping in great numbers. Oh and the price increase prior to many orders being filled is utter BS. I guess it comes down to whether or not they're responsive enough for a wide range of uses (which is subjective I know). I get it... the price is the price but supply channel concerns me with dripping that much money into a product produced by a company with a seemingly shaky present and future. Ming Thein coming on board is a genius move in their defense.

This would be used for personal use only as I fear that neither the GFX or X1D may be reliable enough for me. I had a chance to try out the GFX and I liked a great many things (like the ability to shoot in many aspect ratios in cameras, the ability to have up to 3 versions of "finished print ready" JPEG's for less serious personal shooting, great native lens choice with a great lens roadmap, a company that listens to customers/potential customers, and delivers their products in a timely manner) about it but overall IQ in reality was just marginally (~10% by my estimation) better than the A7RII in reality when used with the better Sony FE lenses. This was sort of reconfirmed by me on the CameraStoreTV online X1D review that they posted on YouTube yesterday after testing the camera for about 3 months.

DougDolde

The IQ of each (at base ISO) is perhaps marginally better than that of the Sony a7RII (which I also own) and Nikon D810 (which I have owned).
Joe
I was thinking about just that comparison to the D810 and the cost involved vs the X1D. The coming D820 or what ever it is called should put the two even closer.

A D810 priced at B&H with NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR Lens comes to $ 4893.90

The X1D would need the 30mm. 45mm and 90mm lenses to cover the same focal lengths as the 24-70 Nikkor but you also get the in between focal lengths.

The X1D priced at B&H with all three lenses comes to $ 18,880 which is nearly 4 times the cost of the Nikon kit.

All this for a less versatile camera than the Nikon. I'm sure the image quality of the X1D is better but is it worth it?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was thinking about just that comparison to the D810 and the cost involved vs the X1D. The coming D820 or what ever it is called should put the two even closer.

The X1D would need the 30mm. 45mm and 90mm lenses to cover the same focal lengths as the 24-70 Nikkor but you also get the in between focal lengths.

The X1D priced at B&H with all three lenses comes to $ 18,880 which is nearly 4 times the cost of the Nikon kit.

All this for a less versatile camera than the Nikon. I'm sure the image quality of the X1D is better but is it worth it?
If you can forgive the purple fringing at wider apertures on the 30mm, the lenses are impeccable and at a reasonable price. The experience is quite 'pure' and Leica like. It's a clean, the photo comes first experience and the results are great.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Doug,

The price would be different if you used the three Otus lenses instead of the Nikkor 24-70/2.8. You could of course base the calculation on Sigma Art, and get a lower value.

Jim Kasson has gone trough a lot of comparisons between his Fuji GFX and other system and he found that the GFX has a healthy advantage over Sony A7rII combined with the Otus. He could confirm focusing issues with the GFX, but it still had a significant advantage.

I would guess the same would apply to the X1D.

I would say that everyone needs to make that calculus. Is a potential 70% gain in image quality worth the extra cost? Do I need an 85/1.4 lens? Is image stabilization important for me? Do I need the flexibility of zooms?

A guy I know has decided to go with a Sony A7rII for architecture work, but now he finds that it gives all the sharpness he needs but doesn't give the colour he gets from his Hasselblad H camera and back.

Everyone needs to sort out his/her preferences and needs. Done that one can decide if it's worth it or not.

Many of us see money as a final asset, that is getting something means giving up on something else.

Best regards
Erik

rayyen

Great article!
MF digital + EVF + compact = my priority in choosing camera too :D :D :D

Joe

rayyen

After extensively using the 4116 for a week in Japan, I really like this new camera, and the wait (near 6mth) is worth.

For me, I like it because:
my favourite camera combination = digital MF + compact + EVF + simple UI and buttons

Perhaps I'm lucky, I didn't experience any defect like other mentioned on forum,
no funny EVF problem, no lagging, no hang and need reboot, no card error,
but I'd say heat is indeed a problem, if I keep using under hot summer, the grip & LCD getting hot really quick from the battery. I have to take the battery out and let the camera cool down when i'm traveling in between photo spots. Apart from that, I have not much complaint against this baby.

Ray

wellfleet

Mini update available - http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/12/Release-Notes-X1D-1_15_1.pdf

Firmware 1.15.1 for Hasselblad X1D-50c
The 1.15.1 release is a maintenance release for the X1D-50c camera that addresses the following:
improvements compared to v1.15.0:
• Solves an issue with “No Card” was sometimes shown on the display even if the card was inserted.
Update procedure
Make sure that you use a fully charged battery on the camera. A charge level of 50% or more is required. Please note that the update procedure normally takes about 7-10 minutes, but can in some cases take up to 12 minutes.
Note: Once the update is completed you must remove and reinsert the battery.
Copy the downloaded le (X1D_v1_15_1.cim) to the SD card and insert it into the camera. Then follow the procedure below:
RELEASE NOTES
1: Select the “Settings Menu” from the main menu.
2: Select “Service”
May 29, 2017 / The Hasselblad Team
3: Click “Check for update” and select the le “X1D_v1_15_1. cim” from the list. Finally click “Upgrade”.
www.hasselblad.com

tcdeveau

Did anyone catch the new interview over at LuLa? Apparently they've got a lens longer than 120mm in the pipeline

dave.gt

I updated with no difficulty and will be alert for [absence of] the "No card" error message. I trust that a major firmware update is not too far away.

Yes, I watched that video and was disappointed in the lack of detail and transparency. Customers that have gone "all in" on the X-system should be hearing more from Hasselblad as we approach the 1-year anniversary of the announcement.

Joe
Hmm... missed something here. Is there a link for the video?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I tried to update but when I inserted the card with the firmware on it I got the No Card error.... (not true - my weak attempt at a joke...)

jduncan

I updated with no difficulty and will be alert for [absence of] the "No card" error message. I trust that a major firmware update is not too far away.

Yes, I watched that video and was disappointed in the lack of detail and transparency. Customers that have gone "all in" on the X-system should be hearing more from Hasselblad as we approach the 1-year anniversary of the announcement.

Joe
I don't get why they went to Lula, instead the should have come here.
Sometimes I wonder. Lula is a close pay forum, that is, in general hostile to Hasselblad. That is the avenue they want to use to comunicate?
If they go broke they have themselves to blame.

Best regards,

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Lula is an open forum and they are not hostile to Hasselblad.

But, the original owner of LuLa was a Phase One owner until Hasselblad closed the system to Phase One backs, essentially making his 30k$US investment non functional. He was a bit p....d off. He also had a Hasselblad zoom lens falling apart in Namibia and told that it was his fault as it should no be carried hanging off the camera. So he was a bit p....d off. Does that make him hostile to Hasselblad?

It could be argued that the owners of the forums have a bias towards Phase One, but it is the posters who make a forum alive.

On the other side. Luminous landscape is a lively site, with a lot of new content. It seems that Hasselblad management regard Kevin Raber to be a market insider and want to talk to him?

Historically, Michael Reichmann was a Phase One guy. He made friends with Phase One and one of those friends was Kevin Raber who now owns that place. Kevin was working for Phase One at that time.

Hasselblad did get a lot of momentum with the X1D. Kevin got on well with Perry Oosting, than CEO of Hasselblad and had some good stuff. For some reason Perry Oosting left the company. Could be DJI or could be personal reasons or something else.

Hasselblad now has the X1D, that seems to sell as hotcakes. It is priced way below traditional MFD. So, Hasselblad hired Ming Thein to sort out the business strategy.

Lula has reported on all that. Personally, I feel that Kevin Raber was a bit negative about the DJI ownership. I guess that we wouldn't have seen the X1D without DJI participation, but who knows?!

The way I see it, Hasselblad offers a great alternative in MF digital with the X1D. Fuji offers the GFX and I feel strongly that the GFX is the more compelling context as it can be used with any lens.

But, I will pass on both systems as I shoot an A7rII that is an almost perfect match for my needs. That said, that camera is far from perfect. But, it can do what I need and can do it in an affordable way. So that makes it a winner for me...

Best regards
Erik

Sometimes I wonder. Lula is a close pay forum, that is, in general hostile to Hasselblad. That is the avenue they want to use to comunicate?

Best regards,

Paul2660

Best regards,
Lula is most definitely not negative to Hasselblad, see the latest video with Kevin Raber and the latest head of Hasselblad The forum portion is free and has been for a while now, at least a year. In fact as I remember as soon as they started charging the 12.00 per year, the feedback from users was strong enough that LuLa immediately took the forum portion off the pay part of the site.

The 12.00 cost is to read the more detailed articles and instructional videos.

Paul Caldwell