The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'd love to get mirroring between the SD1 and SD2 slots, even if it increased the write time a little.

I still would also love to see a live histogram....and a wired shutter release. I thought they were working on one, but I saw in a FAQ section on the HB Bron USA website where they had no plans for one, but anticipated 3rd parties to step in and make a usb-c remote.
I would appreciate a live histogram but honestly this sensor allows great latitude in exposure ... as long as you are conservative with the highlights.

And honestly ... the Phocus Mobile is getting to the point where you can use it as a remote ... only cost is a bit less battery life with Wifi enabled.

Personally ... I would like to see them give us focus DOF bracketing and an intervalometer ability in Phocus Mobile.

Bob

tcdeveau

I would appreciate a live histogram but honestly this sensor allows great latitude in exposure ... as long as you are conservative with the highlights.

And honestly ... the Phocus Mobile is getting to the point where you can use it as a remote ... only cost is a bit less battery life with Wifi enabled.

Personally ... I would like to see them give us focus DOF bracketing and an intervalometer ability in Phocus Mobile.

Bob
Intervalometer and focus stacking would be nice.

FWIW my interest in live histogram is for panoramas. Live histogram made it a piece of cake to pan the scene, adjust shutter speed for ETTR in the brightest spot of the frame, lock exposure and shoot on the A7R and A7RII. No it’s not necessary but it’s still a handy feature in my book.

Phocus mobile stopped working for me after the last update and it wouldn’t recognize the camera. Could be a phone issue and I’ve got a new phone coming today. I’ve been using the self-timer on 2 seconds which has worked fine, but I’d still love to see a wired remote. Hopefully with new phone my experience with phocus mobile will be better.

docmoore

Does your phone lock to the camera on wifi?

If not the Phocus cannot see it. I use the camera as the wifi link ... then Phocus is fine ... do not try to find it on the network.

Bob

tcdeveau

Does your phone lock to the camera on wifi?

If not the Phocus cannot see it. I use the camera as the wifi link ... then Phocus is fine ... do not try to find it on the network.

Bob
It did not the last time I tried. I’m on a 3 yr old iPhone 6 Plus that’s been dropped more times than it can handle, and there are issues with the GPS and WiFi antennas. Reluctantly decided to go ahead and pick up the iPhone X which should come in today...not for phocus mobile specifically but just because it was time for a new phone. Hopefully the experience with phocus mobile on the X is fine but for now I still prefer the self-timer to phocus mobile for triggering the shutter. Not only less to futz with, but for me part of the shooting experience is to get away from staring at my phone/laptop/tablet etc
-Todd

DB5

I am becoming more interested in this camera. My only real concern is EVF blackout and I'm surprised there are no videos on youtube demonstrating this.

Can someone please comment on - if you shoot RAW only, how many seconds is the blackout? How is this in real life, particularly when shooting things like portraits/fashion at a decent sort of pace?

I would be so grateful if someone could please do a quick video showing the blackout.

tcdeveau

I am becoming more interested in this camera. My only real concern is EVF blackout and I'm surprised there are no videos on youtube demonstrating this.

Can someone please comment on - if you shoot RAW only, how many seconds is the blackout? How is this in real life, particularly when shooting things like portraits/fashion at a decent sort of pace?

I would be so grateful if someone could please do a quick video showing the blackout.

I've got mine setup for RAW only and just clocked the EVF blackout at 1.2 seconds, give or take probably 0.05 seconds or so. As far as how it is in real life "at a decent sort of pace", that's pretty subjective, so IDK how much the blackout would affect that kind of shooting. For me, it doesn't bother me, tripod or handheld. Portraits it's not an issue...at least for me.

hcubell

I've got mine setup for RAW only and just clocked the EVF blackout at 1.2 seconds, give or take probably 0.05 seconds or so. As far as how it is in real life "at a decent sort of pace", that's pretty subjective, so IDK how much the blackout would affect that kind of shooting. For me, it doesn't bother me, tripod or handheld. Portraits it's not an issue...at least for me.
1.2 seconds is just about right from when I measured it last January. Nothing like a Canon 1DX or a Sony A9, but better than medium format digital alternatives like the H6D and Phase XF purely in terms of shutter lag. However, while the actual shutter lag is a bit better with the X1D, there is no blackout with an H6D or Phase XF so you can still follow what is happening in front of you.
I personally do not shoot portraits or fashion, so I can't offer much advice. I strongly recommend a demo of the X1D to see if it works for you. I would also suggest you look at the blog at romeobravophoto.com for a review and some files from somebody who does shoot fashion and people with an X1D. He seems quite happy with it and you could probably email him with specific questions.

Last edited:

mkerouac

I tried to shoot fashion and glamour with it. The blackout is too long. It just didn't work for me.

ejpeiker

This is a very long thread but have most of the bugs been taken care of in firmware at this point ?
It would be great, in a thread titled "X1D: Where are we at?" to get a good summary from the end users of what issues have been completely satisfactorily addressed and what items still need improvement.

robmac

FM 1.20.0 just announced:

-instant preview and image browsing in EVF
-selectable crop modes, incl. Xpan
- backup to 2nd SD card
- some touchpad options added functionality
-AF with XH adapter w/some H lenses to start (28mm, 35mm, 50, 80, 100).

As someone very actively (aka waiting for budget headroom to pull trigger) looking at the X1D, the rate at which Hassy is improving the camera via FW and apparently listening to users (and I assume Ming Thein) is very impressive.

jng

I just pulled the trigger on the X1D and a V->X adapter from Fotodiox. I'm very interested to see whether Hasselblad's own adapter will be of the "dumb" variety or more like the CF->H adapter that allows use of the leaf shutter (the latter being wishful thinking on my part, I know). Can't wait to try out the new kit!

John

DougDolde

But have they fixed the really bad issues like the camera locking up and needing a restart or battery remove/reinsertion to continue?

docmoore

Yes Doug ... never happened to me ... early on a bit of confusion adjusting aperture and occasionally not recognizing
one of the SD cards.

But nothing at all for five months ... it has been perfect.

Seems like when people are unhappy they share it a lot ... less so when issues are resolved ... there will be one or two lines then they
move on.

Bob

DougDolde

Well there certainly were a lot of reports of failures like this when the camera was first released. The negative reports
are hard to forget. Hard not to blame Hasselblad for rushing this camera to market with so many flaws

pflower

I guess I was lucky. My camera arrived in early March and had a few initial problems in that the battery needed taking out and reinserting once every 200 or so shots. Once in a while it reported that there was no lens attached. However that didn't really impact on my enjoyment and use of it - very intermittent and infrequent. Those glitches were solved by pretty much the first firmware update, but other than that it worked fine from the beginning. A later firmware update - which gave multiple and adjustable AF points - introduced a bit of a problem with the front and rear dials (which until then had been working perfectly) and which became a bit erratic. A call to Hasselblad UK resulted in a courier collecting the camera the next day and returning it 48 hours later with that problem fixed.

Since then I have had no problems whatsoever.

Well there certainly were a lot of reports of failures like this when the camera was first released. The negative reports
are hard to forget. Hard not to blame Hasselblad for rushing this camera to market with so many flaws

hcubell

FM 1.20.0 just announced:

-instant preview and image browsing in EVF
-selectable crop modes, incl. Xpan
- backup to 2nd SD card
- some touchpad options added functionality
-AF with XH adapter w/some H lenses to start (28mm, 35mm, 50, 80, 100).

As someone very actively (aka waiting for budget headroom to pull trigger) looking at the X1D, the rate at which Hassy is improving the camera via FW and apparently listening to users (and I assume Ming Thein) is very impressive.
I completely agree. The frequency of these firmware updates has been a very pleasant surprise. Given some of Hasselblad's missteps in recent years and concerns about its financial stability, I think we were all somewhat apprehensive about the degree of Hasselblad's committment to the X1D platform and its ability to deliver a refined and stable system. (In contrast to Fuji, Hasselblad had no background in implementing the firmware for mirrorless cameras.) Some of us took a leap of faith and bought into the system. I have zero regrets, and the forthcoming lenses in 2018 will make the system even better. At this point, the X1D is quite stable in my experience, and there are very few features that I need and are still missing. There are some things that would be nice to have, but I personally for the way I shoot I don't "need" them, like no EVF blackout, Continuous AF and Eye AF. And nobody else really offers them in a mirrorless MF system. I think we need to wait for the next gen Sony sensors for those types of improvements.