Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: X1D: Where are we at?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: X1D: Where are we at?

Quote Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
    Well, that's a good way of stealing Hasselblad's thunder and tipping the competition on what's ahead so they can develop their versions of it.

Hi,

A comment:

Ming Thein says:
    May 9, 2018, at 8:02 PM
    LV histogram/ blinkies – we want to implement this in parallel with new imaging pipeline so they’re representative of raw capture, not JPEG preview settings. So, not anytime soon.

Auto ISO in manual – I explained on your post in the X1D FB group that this sensor generation can only be adjusted in 1/3 stop increments, but aperture/shutter can be 1, 1/2 or 1/3 – which means you may land up with a 1/6th stop mismatch. There would be more complaints of inconsistent exposure than requests so far for auto-ISO in manual, so we picked the lesser evil…

Hyperfocal for a given aperture – this requires precise information on the currently focused distance, which is not possible with CDAF lenses. It’s adequate on smaller formats as DOF covers errors, but not with MF – at least not with the current generation of position sensors. In practice unless on a wide, this is likely to be close to infinity anyway.

135mm – prototypes in testing now…

That last bit.
    I know we need the X2D for the platform to be much more flexible for portraits, but the X1D is already good when one can slowdown and accommodate miss focus risks (if you can't grab the Nikon).
    This is a very good moment for MF.
    With the P1 announcement, the X2D should not be that far away.

Best regards,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, you guys sure want/need a lot of features that I've never used even if I had them!

I'd be fine with an X1D-Lite ... the 33x44 equivalent of a Leica M-D 262. Of course, with an EVF camera, doing without the LCD is just a silliness, but I could easily do without most of the other stuff including AF entirely.

But I doubt they'll make one like that just for me.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Man, you guys sure want/need a lot of features that I've never used even if I had them!

I'd be fine with an X1D-Lite ... the 33x44 equivalent of a Leica M-D 262. Of course, with an EVF camera, doing without the LCD is just a silliness, but I could easily do without most of the other stuff including AF entirely.

G
    You are obviously right. But for pure photography joy, I give my 903SWC or Chamonix a ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siddhaarta View Post
    My wishlist is getting shorter also, but ...

- Not sure why exposure bracketing has to exclude the use of self timer. This is my principal use case: camera on tripod, longish exposure time, exposure bracketing, self timer to avoid vibrations.
    Me too. That's gotta be an oversight that will be fixed with the next firmware update.

- Still missing the focus bracketing function (like implemented with P1 or Nikon D850). I don't really see the point of a focus-by-wire medium format macro lens without this function.
    Ming has said that a distance scale and focus bracketing are not possible with the current CDAF lens designs. I don't fully understand it but will accept his word for it.

- According to Ming, hyperlocal information for a given aperture (like implemented with Leica S) is not feasible with the current sensor and CDAF lenses. Seems we have to wait for the X2D for that one, or even longer. I use a Disto for this kind of shots (normally also with focus bracketing) ... not really practical.
    Once again, we will have to wait for the next iteration of the camera design, aka X2D.

- Interesting to read the arguments in Mings blog regarding the problems for Auto ISO in manual mode, but there should be a solution for that one ...
    That's one that I know can be implemented with firmware and the current camera design. Hasselblad has put it low on their priority list because they haven't had enough users request it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
    Need is not the issue. I am very happy with the operability of the X1D as is. The features mentioned would be nice to have. For example, with a 50-150MP sensor, focus bracketing becomes an increasingly important consideration if you want to extract the maximum IQ out of these cameras. I can do it manually, but some automation would be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Me too. That's gotta be an oversight that will be fixed with the next firmware update.

Ming has said that a distance scale and focus bracketing are not possible with the current CDAF lens designs. I don't fully understand it but will accept his word for it.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this can possibly be true since the distance is in the EXIF data. That has to come from *somewhere*.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    I read his answers to Howards questions. But I think he only answered to the hyperfocal part, not the focus stacking part.

Actually I asked him the same questions a time ago in form of shortcomings:

1) lack of automated focus stacking: with MFD, focus stacking has become a regular exercise (still life, landscape, macro). Problem is that with focus-by-wire lenses it is a PITA. With my previous Leica S and also older manual lenses, this was fun (although slow), as the lenses give you the mechanical feed-back. I am optimistic that Hasselblad implements something similar what Nikon D850 or P1 already can do.

2) not so-good depth of field control: yes, there is the DoF button, but Leica S has this implemented in a perfect way, as you see the estimated DoF distances in the top-LCD. So it is quite easy to plan the hyperfocal distance for landscape shots. Any distance information would be also welcome as the focus-by-wire lenses have no markings, making it complicated to use an external app.

He answered:

1) We’re aware of this and it’s on the FW list
    2) Trickier, as focus by wire lenses also have no hard stops, it’s very difficult to estimate position accurately or usefully. Leica S uses a PDAF system that can be calibrated for absolute distances…

This makes sense to me as focus stacking seems a simpler task. I think P1 makes it this way: 1) you define the nearest point by focusing at it, 2) you define the farthest away point by focusing at it, 3) you define how many photos the camera should make between the two points, 4) you start the automation process. Seems that CDAF/focus-by-wire lens is no hindrance to this.

But maybe it is not that easy ...
    Last edited by siddhaarta; 1 Week Ago at 14:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure why exposure bracketing has to exclude the use of self timer. This is my principal use case: camera on tripod, longish exposure time, exposure bracketing, self timer to avoid vibrations.
    As I suspected, it's a bug. According to Ming Thein:

This is a bug – I’ll have them look into it. AEB isn’t something I use personally so I didn’t test this combination but I can understand why it makes sense to use with the timer or remotely.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hi,

Ming Thein says:
    May 9, 2018, at 8:02 PM
    LV histogram/ blinkies – we want to implement this in parallel with new imaging pipeline so they’re representative of raw capture, not JPEG preview settings. So, not anytime soon.
    New imaging pipeline??
    What does it mean?
    Is that something Hasselblad will introduce with the X2D or with a new Firmware update ?

Thanks
    E

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etto72 View Post
    New imaging pipeline??
    What does it mean?
    Is that something Hasselblad will introduce with the X2D or with a new Firmware update ?

Thanks
    E
    That means that they're designing the successor to the X1D and it will have a new imaging pipeline. That is something that can't be accomplished with firmware.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

That means that they're designing the successor to the X1D and it will have a new imaging pipeline. That is something that can't be accomplished with firmware.

Joe
    Thanks for all the info Joe et al.. I think HB has done a great job with firmware updates but it sounds like they're approaching the limit of what they can do with the current hardware. Glad they're aware of some the features we all want to see in the X-line.
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like

I finished updating the firmware for both my camera and my X and HC lenses yesterday.

The only thing left on my wish list for the current camera design is the ability to use Auto ISO in M (Manual) mode. I believe that Auto ISO in M mode is possible with the current design and I will continue to push for that feature through Ming and Ove Bengtsson, the product manager.

The XH Lens Adapter AF support now extends to all the HC lenses if they are new enough to be compatible with new firmware. On that front, I’ve got good news and not so good news (for me) with my HC lenses. After attempting to update my HC lenses to firmware v19.0.3, the outcome was mixed:

• HC 150n - AF works; this is an “orange dot” lens and I expected the update to work; faster AF than XCD 120mm macro due to shorter focus “throw”
    • HC 210 - no joy; lens wouldn’t take the update
    • HC 300 - surprise, surprise, AF works; monster lens but OK from a tripod

I may look for a newer (used) HC 210 just to have AF because that’s a lens I’ve come to enjoy. If anyone knows how to determine (by serial number or version) whether an HC lens is compatible with HC lens firmware v19.0.3, please let me know.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Can you enlighten me how you go about updating firmware on the HC LENS. I have an 210 and 300 and an adapter. I would like to give this a try.
    thanks,

R-----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rollei8is View Post
    Hi Joe,

Can you enlighten me how you go about updating firmware on the HC LENS. I have an 210 and 300 and an adapter. I would like to give this a try.
    thanks,

R-----
    Instructions here:

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/firmware/hc-hcd/19.0.3/Release+Notes+HC-HCD+19_0_3+180509_2.pdf

After downloading the firmware update file:

I hope you find that your HC lenses are compatible with the v19.0.3 firmware. My HC 150n and HC 300 were, but my HC 210 was not.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 1 Week Ago at 07:02. Reason: Corrected typo

Post Thanks / Like

Instructions here:

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/firmware/hc-hcd/19.0.3/Release+Notes+HC-HCD+19_0_3+180509_2.pdf

After downloading the firmware update file:

I hope your find that your HC lenses are compatible with the v19.0.3 firmware. My HC 150n and HC 300 were, but my HC 210 was not.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks agin

R-----
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

do you think that the xcd line will also cover a 100mp sensor ?
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    do you think that the xcd line will also cover a 100mp sensor ?
    The 100MP sensor that is rumored to be in the next iteration of the X1D (aka X2D) is 44x33mm, the same size as the current 50MP sensor. So the XCD lens image circle coverage won't be an issue. The XCD lenses were likely designed in anticipation of a higher resolution sensor to begin with, hence the "50c" suffix for the camera.

Joe