The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

BANKER1

Hi,

Lula is an open forum and they are not hostile to Hasselblad.

But, the original owner of LuLa was a Phase One owner until Hasselblad closed the system to Phase One backs, essentially making his 30k$US investment non functional. He was a bit p....d off. He also had a Hasselblad zoom lens falling apart in Namibia and told that it was his fault as it should no be carried hanging off the camera. So he was a bit p....d off. Does that make him hostile to Hasselblad?

It could be argued that the owners of the forums have a bias towards Phase One, but it is the posters who make a forum alive.

On the other side. Luminous landscape is a lively site, with a lot of new content. It seems that Hasselblad management regard Kevin Raber to be a market insider and want to talk to him?

Historically, Michael Reichmann was a Phase One guy. He made friends with Phase One and one of those friends was Kevin Raber who now owns that place. Kevin was working for Phase One at that time.

Hasselblad did get a lot of momentum with the X1D. Kevin got on well with Perry Oosting, than CEO of Hasselblad and had some good stuff. For some reason Perry Oosting left the company. Could be DJI or could be personal reasons or something else.

Hasselblad now has the X1D, that seems to sell as hotcakes. It is priced way below traditional MFD. So, Hasselblad hired Ming Thein to sort out the business strategy.

Lula has reported on all that. Personally, I feel that Kevin Raber was a bit negative about the DJI ownership. I guess that we wouldn't have seen the X1D without DJI participation, but who knows?!

The way I see it, Hasselblad offers a great alternative in MF digital with the X1D. Fuji offers the GFX and I feel strongly that the GFX is the more compelling context as it can be used with any lens.

But, I will pass on both systems as I shoot an A7rII that is an almost perfect match for my needs. That said, that camera is far from perfect. But, it can do what I need and can do it in an affordable way. So that makes it a winner for me...

Best regards
Erik
I respectfully disagree with every point you made. LuLa is a hostile environment on every level. I, personally, do not go there at all, since I do not want to add to their clicks. There is a lot of valuable information there, but I will not subject myself to such negativity. I am too old to let arguments and dissension influence my quest for a joyful life. If that type of environment is ever allowed here, I will do the same for this site.

Greg

tbullock

FYI, reports of problems with this update are surfacing @ http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5048.0
I'm having some of the issues mentioned in that thread, and more. My front and rear scroll wheels now barely function. They cause rapid changing of the settings back and forth, but only sometimes can I get it to go in the direction I'm scrolling. I also noticed the AF would occasionally lock on, but then slowly go out of focus.

I'm switching back to the previous version

rent

FWIW, I've always had the wheels problem you described. I have not yet updated to the latest (mini) firmware.

I'm having some of the issues mentioned in that thread, and more. My front and rear scroll wheels now barely function. They cause rapid changing of the settings back and forth, but only sometimes can I get it to go in the direction I'm scrolling. I also noticed the AF would occasionally lock on, but then slowly go out of focus.

I'm switching back to the previous version

wellfleet

FYI, reports of problems with this update are surfacing @ http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5048.0
Hasselblad has responded @ http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5048.0 so if you have had any problems get in touch with them.

Hi all,

We have noted that a few of the X1D owners have experienced firmware issues caused by the recent 1.15.1 firmware update and our developers are currently investigating this.

For those experiencing this problem, we kindly ask you to immediately get in touch with us at [email protected] or call +4631102460, to find the root cause.

Best,
Hasselblad Product Management

DougDolde

Question for those who bought the X1D as a downward move from a bigger P1 or Bald system.

Is there anything you miss over your say IQ180 or better ? I know the lenses are scarce but that aside could you sell off the other system ? Is the X1D that good ?

fiver

Question for those who bought the X1D as a downward move from a bigger P1 or Bald system.

Is there anything you miss over your say IQ180 or better ? I know the lenses are scarce but that aside could you sell off the other system ? Is the X1D that good ?
:D In my humble opinion the X1D is not a professional system, it's in no way a genuine substitute for a full, reliable and stable system.

I have found the X1D to be very portable when carried in a billingham bag.

I was once told by a Hasselblad rep that the X1D is not intended to replace my full system professional camera and he was right. The X1D has replaced my Fuji X100T.

The X1D is inteded to compete with cameras that you take on holidays, :D streets, city breaks and other none professional implementations.

tcdeveau

I went from a H4D-40 to a 645z to the X1D. For me, the X1D is a fine replacement for the H4D-40 and 645z, and anything I did with those two I can do on the X1D. The camera is still a little quirky and they have some bugs to iron out still, but it's nothing that's impeded my shooting (and can improved via firmware upgrades). The IQ is what you'd expect from the 50mp Sony CMOS sensor and the lenses are exceptionally sharp (aside from the octagonal bokeh of the 90mm). I definitely don't miss the size and the weight of the larger system, and the weight reduction in my camera bag on top of being able to use a smaller bag is great. Also, smaller lenses means smaller threads and smaller filters for landscape (100mm vs 150mm/165mm filters) which is definitely an advantage for anyone doing landscape. Coming from an IQ180, you'd lose resolution, but you can also stitch to make up for it. Having multiple focus points also comes in very handy on the tripod or handheld, and checking critical focus with focus magnification in live view is a snap. I liked the CCD tonality, but that also could just be in my head. For me, the only thing I miss about a bigger CCD system right now is simply rooted in nostalgia. I just need the 65mm to fill the 45-90mm gap and then I'll be all set for awhile. A lot of my most-liked pics on social media (taken with APS-C 35mm even) are simply a result of being in the right place at the right time, and with the X1D, having a small setup that doesn't have to be mounted on the tripod will help me out in that regard in the future.

hcubell

:D In my humble opinion the X1D is not a professional system, it's in no way a genuine substitute for a full, reliable and stable system.

I have found the X1D to be very portable when carried in a billingham bag.

I was once told by a Hasselblad rep that the X1D is not intended to replace my full system professional camera and he was right. The X1D has replaced my Fuji X100T.

The X1D is inteded to compete with cameras that you take on holidays, :D streets, city breaks and other none professional implementations.
I believe your assessment is inaccurate for someone like Mr. Dolde who photographs landscapes with an XF/IQ180. I think I have a bit of real world experience here, because (a) I tend to photograph the same sorts of things and (b) I have both an X1D and an H2/IQ180. The reality is that the X1D has four major advantages over the H2/IQ180. First, using magnified Live View to manually focus, you can much more effectively achieve perfect focus on exactly where you want to focus. Second, the dynamic range of the X1D with the Sony 50mp sensor is much greater. Third, you can comfortably use ISO 800 or even 1600 with the X1D. I never shoot the IQ180 above 100. And fourth, the X1D body and lenses are much much smaller, lighter and therefore more portable.
For now, the only advantages with the H2/IQ180 are the more complete lens system and an extra 30mp. Both of them will disappear within the next 18 months or so.
The X1D seems to me to be a poor choice for vacations/casual use. Too slow, so so AF, way more MP than needed for the intended end use.
As for the Hasselblad rep who said that the X1D is not for "professional" use, I can understand why he might say that, put yourself in his shoes trying to sell the H6D 50 for $26k when someone can buy the X1D with the exact same sensor for $9500. He has to convince the amateurs that they need the "big dog" to look professional.

Ansel Adams is alleged to have said that the "best camera" is the heaviest camera that you are willing to carry. That made sense in the days when there was a clear relationship between the size of the film and the technical quality of the images for print making. Today, the "best camera" is the lightest camera available that still allows you to achieve what you want from a technical standpoint.

Last edited:

abed

Has anybody tried Phocus Mobile with wifi connection top X1D?
I tried it but many functions are not operating, particularly autofocus. Is this the case with others?

tcdeveau

Has anybody tried Phocus Mobile with wifi connection top X1D?
I tried it but many functions are not operating, particularly autofocus. Is this the case with others?
Yes. It works but could use some improvements IMHO. It can trigger the camera and can focus the lens, but there are some functions that are buggy. I particularly don't like that there's no countdown timer on the screen of the camera when you use the app to trigger the shutter. Sometimes image review with the app is buggy as well

wellfleet

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there appears to be a update to the so-called XCD 90mm oof "problem" posted at LuLa by an HB rep - XCD 90mm flaws reply #9.

"This is because the aperture is stopped down a few pulses to get to an exact f/3.2. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware (updatable by the photographer) that will make sure the aperture is round at full aperture. Once FW addressing this is available, I'll personally post like here.
Sincerely, Eric P."

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there appears to be a update to the so-called XCD 90mm oof "problem" posted at LuLa by an HB rep - XCD 90mm flaws reply #9.

"This is because the aperture is stopped down a few pulses to get to an exact f/3.2. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware (updatable by the photographer) that will make sure the aperture is round at full aperture. Once FW addressing this is available, I'll personally post like here.
Sincerely, Eric P."
Ooo that's good to know. This is my only gripe with the 90mm and only real disappointment with the X system so far

DougDolde

Somehow I think I could live with the X1D over the XF/IQ180 and probably have a few bucks left over after selling the P1 off and buying the X1D.

Not sure if I will though, such a hassle. But the high ISO capability is attractive as is the smaller lighter form.

HBIEVP

Sadly I haven't had any time to do any serious photography with mine yet, but here's my 2 cents with my experience

I only just submitted my GPS claim so it's going to be awhile before I see mine. I don't use GPS much and it's not a big deal for me. Given the current need for wifi to remotely trigger the camera, I worry what GPS + Wifi would do for battery life for the camera as well.

I've always done my Hasselblad processing with Phocus first and then output Tif to lightroom. I agree LR could benefit from XCD lens corrections and would like to see that happen at some point. IDK if the hold up is with Hasselblad or Adobe though, it took Adobe quite a long time to get corrections for the Batis 18mm that I've been using for awhile.

Auto ISO important isn't that big a deal to me, but I agree the current implementation isn't great. If often gives me 1/focal length shutter speeds with auto iso in aperture priority mode which I'm finding to be inadequate for sharp photos. I'm finding that 1/focal length isn't cutting it in most circumstances for sharp photos and I try to stay about 1/3xfocal length or so. FWIW I found this to be an issue with the 645z as well and wasn't getting sharp photos with 1/focal length on the 645z either, and I'm just of the opinion that with 44x33mm sensors and up you really have to be careful and use good shooting technique if you want a high hit rate of sharp photos at 1/focal length. Of course this is going to be highly subjective to the shooter and technique dependent, etc etc etc, but this is the case with me.

I have had some lockups with the system that have required removing the battery, and my issues seem mainly to be that the EVF doesn't display anything and the EVF sensor is non-responsive. There's definitely some system stability improvements that could be made with firmware improvements. Other things I'd like to see via firmware updates are things like being able to mirror the card slots for backup, image review via EVF, and long exposure countdown timer on the screen when triggering via the phocus app. Live histogram via EVF and rear screen would also be great.

The thing I'm starting to get frustrated with is the availability of lenses and accessories. I'm at the point where I'm ready to add to the 45mm and 90mm to fill out my kit a little, but the 30mm has been out of sight in the US for at least the last couple of weeks and the XH adapter is also nowhere to be found. Lack of communication and lack of a reliable delivery window is getting tiresome. After some time triggering with the phocus app, while it serves its purpose, I'd also prefer a hardwired remote to trigger the shutter for tripod use. I've heard that Hasselblad is aware that users want this and it's something that they are working on supposedly, but some sort of official indication that they are working on one and a time frame would be appreciated. As I've said, while the Phocus app works, I've experienced some odd things like display of aperture and shutter speed not being consistent between the camera and the app which sometimes require app and/or camera restart/repairing.

All that being said, I'm really enjoying the camera and I'm more frustrated with my lack of actually getting out and using the camera (aka armchair photographer status) currently than I am frustrated with the system.
Todd,

We appreciate your patient regarding product delivery. Currently, the XCD 30mm is shipping in the U.S., please contact atrumbach@hasselbladbron (Sales Rep. SE/US) or feel-free to reach out to me. Some good news, the XH Adapter will begin to ship by the end of June, first week of July.

Thanks,

Eric P.

hcubell

Todd,

We appreciate your patient regarding product delivery. Currently, the XCD 30mm is shipping in the U.S., please contact atrumbach@hasselbladbron (Sales Rep. SE/US) or feel-free to reach out to me. Some good news, the XH Adapter will begin to ship by the end of June, first week of July.

Thanks,

Eric P.
Eric, will the XH Adapter include a tripod foot so that the X1D lens mount doesn't have to support the weight of heavier H series lenses?
Thanks.

tcdeveau

Todd,

Thanks,

Eric P.
Thank you for the information Eric, I actually was able to find a 30mm XCD so I'm all set for now. Looking forward the XH adapter shipping too.

On another note, welcome to the forum!
-Todd