The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

dave.gt

The X1D is indeed a beautiful work of art, visually. The work of various artists show the performance possibilities of the camera and sensor. It seems to me that creating amazing photos is inspiring to others and in a world of chaos, it is hard work with commensurate rewards. A new camera like the X1D is bound to have startup issues, but I am confident it is and will continue to be a fantastic camera, ultimately limited only by the person behind the lens.

I am thankful for those like Ming Thien, Sails Chong and Kevin Then who are showing us the way. They really do create to inspire!:thumbup:

Sounds like a good assessment, and I share in thanking the reviewers for helping me figure out 'where I'm at' – the title of the thread.

The CameraStore video made it clear that diving in right now wouldn't be a good idea for me (nor some others?). I'll be waiting for HD1 firmware improvement and in the meantime listening to further reports about Fuji.

Also, after studying reviews I'm personally confident there's no pain/loss in my remaining with A7rII until H1D menu glitchs and the sequence of lenses are settled.

For me it's less a matter of hard choices than of waiting and balancing excellent options. :thumbs:

Kirk

Last edited:

rmatthews

Sounds like a good assessment, and I share in thanking the reviewers for helping me figure out 'where I'm at' – the title of the thread.

The CameraStore video made it clear that diving in right now wouldn't be a good idea for me (nor some others?). I'll be waiting for HD1 firmware improvement and in the meantime listening to further reports about Fuji.

Also, after studying reviews I'm personally confident there's no pain/loss in my remaining with A7rII until H1D menu glitchs and the sequence of lenses are settled.

For me it's less a matter of hard choices than of waiting and balancing excellent options. :thumbs:

Kirk
I expect that firmware upgrades will address a lot of their criticisms and my view is that the dial and possibly the touchscreen issues that they had were due to older hardware (the hardware of the ones that shipped to customers was definitely improved over the ones that dealers have had to demo 6 months before general release - the improvement was considerable in my opinion). That said, I do think that firmware should be a lot better than it is by now.

Even so, I think for image capturing workflows that suit the camera (ie not sports etc) the output is several notches better than the Sony he compares it to. And the 2 prints he compares in the video give the Hasselblad a bigger starting advantage than Chris seemed to state. The Sony image was flat and lifeless whereas the Hasselblad was far more pleasing off the bat. I know many can work wonders in pp but a better start point is always welcome and it can save a lot of time

fiver

:) The X1D is a guinea pig release, I sent the X1D back, imo it is not ready for release, the release of the camera is premature pushed out so HB could be the first ones to say we were the first company to release MF mirrorless.

Thank god I'm not in the position of waiting for firmware updates that may or may not fix issues, and lenses,

hcubell

:) The X1D is a guinea pig release, I sent the X1D back, imo it is not ready for release, the release of the camera is premature pushed out so HB could be the first ones to say we were the first company to release MF mirrorless.

Thank god I'm not in the position of waiting for firmware updates that may or may not fix issues, and lenses,
In case you haven't noticed, everything in life is a set of trade offs. Camera systems are no exception. My X1D has been very stable. There is nothing I wanted to photograph over the past four months that I have not been able to photograph with the X1D. Sure, it lacks some of the basic features that we have come to expect with mirrorless cameras, but my other "serious" camera system is a Hasselblad H2/IQ180 and, seriously, what can I do with the H2 that I can't do with the X1D? Actually, I can do things with the X1D that I can't with the H2, like achieve perfect manual focus. Oh, and the X1D is small, light and portable, so I actually WANT to take it with me. So yes, there is no Eye AF, no blinkies, no WB Bracketing or any of the 10,000 ways to adjust OOC JPEGs. I couldn't care less. I got exactly what I wanted when I bought the X1D. A small, light and portable camera with the 50MP Sony sensor, great lenses, exceptional ergonomics, simple User Interface, and superb manual focusing in magnified Live View. Can't wait for the 100MP version.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was out and about this morning and running on the remains of a battery from yesterday. About 30 - 40% guessing by the gauge.

Got the Card Too Slow and No Card warnings.

Shutdown, new battery ... fully charged and as I had one picture on the SD card I reformatted. No problem rest of the time shooting.

So I assume that there must be a critical voltage below which the camera gets a bit confused. Since I have 4 batteries at the moment
should not be an issue ... just remember to change them before they begin to act up.

Bob

docmoore

I would love a recommendation for LCD protector that does not inhibit the touch function.

And suggestions for the following ... occasionally the rear wheel is unable to change Exp Comp on the fly ... and cannot
change the aperture with the front wheel in A mode MF. If I do a rear button AF or change to AF top button it usually disappears
in two exposures. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to clear it?

TIA

Bob

docmoore

Thanks Joe!

But the bug is a minor one ... very easy to work around ... just another opportunity to practice patience.

The output from this little camera is so sweet.

I was trekking into an area yesterday ... camera on my monopod and realized it weighs next to nothing ...
think they hit a home run with the form and with a bit of work the haptics will match it.

Thanks,

Bob

pflower

One minor irritation is that I get, fairly frequently, an error message saying that No Lens is Attached. Re-attaching the lens clears this. It is annoying but not fatal (by the way I only have the 45mm at present so it is not caused by faulty changing of lenses).

However an oddity I have only just noticed is that in Lightroom all photographs imported as a 3FR or 3fff file are stated in the metadata to have been made with an unknown lens. If I go to Phocus and export a Tiff then the correct lens is identified. Not sure if this is just a LR oddity or possibly connected to the lens error messages

Anyone else getting this problem and for those who use Lightroom does it recognise correctly which lens is being used on your 3fff or 3FR files?

docmoore

If Phocus can identify the lens then LR should be able to also .... assume it is unrelated to the no lens attached error as that must preclude you
from making exposures until the camera is happy that a lens is there?

Bob

hcubell

New firmware 1.17 out now.
Today is an exquisite day in in rural Vermont, so I decided, what the hell, let's go for it. I loaded the new firmware 1.17 (very uneventful), and went out to see what's improved. Since my X1D has been quite stable, I can't really comment on issues such as the control wheels working or not working. However, I can say that the Autofocus accuracy seems VERY improved in my limited testing. I focused on a number of things, particularly at a distance, went into magnified Live View and then tried to see if the focus improved by making slight changes in manual focus. It would be better to shoot some actual files in both AF and MF and compare them at 100% in LR, but that will have to wait. The only new "feature" is that there is now an overexposure warning (i.e., blinkies) in the file that shows up on the LCD after you shoot a photo.
Obviously, this is, on the surface, a very limited firmware update in terms of new features. However, if, as appears to be the case so far, the AF performance is fixed and there are major improvements in overall stability, this is a very important update. The X1D is a wonderful camera if, and it's a big IF, it works reliably, even with its relatively limited set of "features." Getting the camera to the point in its firmware development where its basic functionality is bug free would be an important milestone, and Hasselblad can then move on to adding a number of desirable features. The files that come out of this camera system are just wonderful and, IMO, well worth the teething issues. (It remains to be seen if the control wheel issues being experienced by some are a firmware issue or a hardware issue; if the latter, I wouldn't consider it a teething issue.)

Happy July 4th:
X1D with XCD 90mm lens at f/8.

B_2398.jpg

dave.gt

Today is an exquisite day in in rural Vermont, so I decided, what the hell, let's go for it. I loaded the new firmware 1.17 (very uneventful), and went out to see what's improved. Since my X1D has been quite stable, I can't really comment on issues such as the control wheels working or not working. However, I can say that the Autofocus accuracy seems VERY improved in my limited testing. I focused on a number of things, particularly at a distance, went into magnified Live View and then tried to see if the focus improved by making slight changes in manual focus. It would be better to shoot some actual files in both AF and MF and compare them at 100% in LR, but that will have to wait. The only new "feature" is that there is now an overexposure warning (i.e., blinkies) in the file that shows up on the LCD after you shoot a photo.
Obviously, this is, on the surface, a very limited firmware update in terms of new features. However, if, as appears to be the case so far, the AF performance is fixed and there are major improvements in overall stability, this is a very important update. The X1D is a wonderful camera if, and it's a big IF, it works reliably, even with its relatively limited set of "features." Getting the camera to the point in its firmware development where its basic functionality is bug free would be an important milestone, and Hasselblad can then move on to adding a number of desirable features. The files that come out of this camera system are just wonderful and, IMO, well worth the teething issues. (It remains to be seen if the control wheel issues being experienced by some are a firmware issue or a hardware issue; if the latter, I wouldn't consider it a teething issue.)

Happy July 4th:
X1D with XCD 90mm lens at f/8.

View attachment 127995
Howard,

That is the most character in a 4th of July photo I have seen. Very well done!

The hardware/firmware/software/shooterware is a lovely match!:)

Nice duck, too.

hcubell

Howard,

That is the most character in a 4th of July photo I have seen. Very well done!

The hardware/firmware/software/shooterware is a lovely match!:)

Nice duck, too.
Thanks so much. The duck sauntering through the barnyard was totally serendipitous. There were some great barnyard roosters there but they would not parade for me.