The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

abed

Reads a bit like electronic shutter with adaptor for non-CS lenses? The first image looks like it was taken with something like the 110mm f2, the second shot I'm not sure, but his comment about testing colour rendering perhaps suggests someting about the consequences of a lower bit depth capture? Fun to speculate.
More and more rumors have it that electronic shutter may be coming in the next firmware, maybe as soon as October. Most likely this would be an electronic first "curtain" shutter type implementation which would avoid the jello effect of such implementation on curtain shutter cameras. We live in very interesting times...

dave.gt

More and more rumors have it that electronic shutter may be coming in the next firmware, maybe as soon as October. Most likely this would be an electronic first "curtain" shutter type implementation which would avoid the jello effect of such implementation on curtain shutter cameras. We live in very interesting times...
The title of this thread is "X1D: Where are we at?"... it is a most interesting thread and Saturday, we met up with Todd for some relaxed camera time doing long exposures at a lake on campus. It was relaxing, even though it was a 108 mile round trip by SUV and, a long walk with pushing my bride in a small-wheeled wheelchair with MF gear in a backpack, a tripod, a cooler and a misc. bag up the long steep hill to exit the environmental Preserve we were enjoying. :) it was great camera time and Todd was kind enough to show and allow me some X1D appreciation time. Thanks, Todd!

I was absolutely impressed with the X1D!! In every way... it is truly a magnificent precision instrument and a stunning piece of art that just happens to make creating art more enjoyable.

So, where are we at? I know where I am.. I want one!!! But I still don't understand what is so funny about a Divine Comedy...:):):)

What level did Dante say the X1D is on?

pflower

Interesting Joe.

I note that whilst the HC lens is correctly identified by name, there is no identification of the 45mm save for its focal length. Of the approximately 2,500 exposures I have made with the X1D and the 45mm about 40% are correctly identified in Lightroom as having been taken with the XCD45mm and the other 60% are merely identified as having been taken with an unidentified lens (albeit with the correct focal length).

Further about 30% of those exposures are identified as having been taken with the X1D 50c and 70% merely with the X1D. So LR thinks there are two separate cameras. I can find no pattern to this at all.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Thanks, very informative.
So it is not up to Adobe but to Hasselblad to solve?

John

robmac

Running some SSD'd-higher-end 2011 era MBPs and not eager to upgrade for sake of USB3 yet.

Anyone tethered an X1D into Phocus or LR with Hassy plugin directly using (slower) USB 2 or via USB 3 using dock like the CalDigit Thunderbolt dock?

Thanks

Jan

Pricewise ... a couple of weeks ago I picked up a message from someone saying 'prices will soon go up'. Anyone that can confirm/deny this statement?

pflower

Pricewise ... a couple of weeks ago I picked up a message from someone saying 'prices will soon go up'. Anyone that can confirm/deny this statement?
Don't know about the rest of the world but due to the deterioration of the pound, prices in the UK will rise by between 8% and 10% from the 1st October according to an email from Hasselblad. Those price rises do not apply to the newly lowered price of the H6D-50 or the X1D black body or field kit.

tcdeveau

It looks like the earlier estimate by B&H ("end of September") was too optimistic:

It would have been nice to have in my kit for fall color photography. Oh well, the next wait begins. :watch:

Joe
Bummer. The Hasselblad website I think still says Autumn 2017 so hopefully it's still around the corner. Ming Thein, when he posted about the X1D field kit, casually had the 120mm in the shot he posted of the field kit and said it was coming soon....hopefully not much longer.

Definitely looking forward to the weather changing here in the south and to some fall color. Got my X1D back 2-3 weeks ago from the scroll wheel fix and it's working like a charm.

aDam007

They just changed the date of the 120mm on BH to Oct. 24th!
Was told by quite a few people the date was suppose to be Sept. 26th..

Don't know about the rest of the world but due to the deterioration of the pound, prices in the UK will rise by between 8% and 10% from the 1st October according to an email from Hasselblad. Those price rises do not apply to the newly lowered price of the H6D-50 or the X1D black body or field kit.
In Sweden the 45mm and 90mm price increased about 20% in May this year. And this at a time the UK pound decreased against the Swedish krona. And yes if you wonder, I bought my lenses after the price hike.

tashley

Subscriber Member
An update on where I am with the X1D now.

Still loving it, though finding it rather frustrating from time to time too.

Now focussing with my nose on the touchscreen. It works really well and I am lucky to have a very accurate nose.

Using a 10.5" iPad Pro (latest version) with LR Mobile and Affinity Photo as my travel kit with the X1D and the 30 & 90mm lenses - and I have never had such a lightweight way of getting such vastly high quality on the go. It doesn't suit all trips, sometimes I use an Oly Em1-II and I always also take an RX100 IV, but the X1D has totally edged out the A7RII.

STILL waiting for lens corrections in Lightroom. Such a simple thing, no excuse not to have them. Shall we raise a petition? Who should we send it to?

hcubell

An update on where I am with the X1D now.

Still loving it, though finding it rather frustrating from time to time too.

Now focussing with my nose on the touchscreen. It works really well and I am lucky to have a very accurate nose.

Using a 10.5" iPad Pro (latest version) with LR Mobile and Affinity Photo as my travel kit with the X1D and the 30 & 90mm lenses - and I have never had such a lightweight way of getting such vastly high quality on the go. It doesn't suit all trips, sometimes I use an Oly Em1-II and I always also take an RX100 IV, but the X1D has totally edged out the A7RII.

STILL waiting for lens corrections in Lightroom. Such a simple thing, no excuse not to have them. Shall we raise a petition? Who should we send it to?
I have been curious about this as well, Tim. My impression is that Hasselblad has been quite diligent in the past about coordinating with the Adobe Lightroom team to insure that LR plays nicely with Hasselblad files. Hasselblad is well aware that Phocus is not Capture One, and LR is an important alternative to Phocus for many potential buyers of Hassselblad digital products. We are almost a year in on the X1D and still no lens profiles for the X1D lenses in LR.

PeterA

It is a pain that Adobe haven't included lens profiles after so much time....sadly another negative indicator for me after being a user since demise of Aperture....I'm already doing the hard yards of preparing 15 years worth of digital files and scans for an alternative DAM - Phocus does a better job of raw conversion than LR - Capture One does a better job with my Leica files/Nikon and even very old Canon files not to mention Leaf and Phase one files from my medium format past!- I am looking for a pure DAM software preparing for a big move out.

As for where am I with XID - after 9 months or so of usage it gets better and better - I need a wide wide though - so I will be using adaptors and M lenses as well s Zeiss - the prices they are asking for native lenses are not for me at this stage - happy with the 45 - don't need a slow 90 - love the files - wish LR did a better job with raws.