The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

tcdeveau

Well there certainly were a lot of reports of failures like this when the camera was first released. The negative reports
are hard to forget. Hard not to blame Hasselblad for rushing this camera to market with so many flaws
They're pretty easy to forgot for those of us that actually own and use the camera. Other than having to send it in for the scrollwheel fix, I haven't had issues with mine in months. It's a different animal now than it was at this point last year when it was first released.

Hasselblad is also being very responsive to user input with new FW features and the latest updates (including the one today).

pflower

Quite a lot of the additional features which have been added don't really affect the way I work. I use manual focus with the AFD back button 99% of the time with a centre spot, so hundreds of AF points don't really interest me. My venerable HC 80mm is too old for the lens update to give it AF with the adapter, but the X1D is by far the easiest and best camera I have come across for manual focusing. Mind you I haven't had a huge amount of experience with mirrorless cameras and manual focusing - but compared to my A7ii and my 6 month experience with the CFV-50c it is seriously good at exact focusing in zoomed in mode.

The one improvement which I really do welcome is the instant review in the EVF. For street shooting the ability to see whether or not you have got what you intended in the viewfinder is really useful (i.e has someone or something walked into shot without taking the camera away from the eye is something I welcome and will use).

I would like a live histogram and if that came then I would be pretty much satisfied with everything. But even then I have got used to the exposure simulation and can pretty well judge what exposure adjustment is needed.

All in all I would say that, live histogram aside, this system does everything that I could ask for.

They're pretty easy to forgot for those of us that actually own and use the camera. Other than having to send it in for the scrollwheel fix, I haven't had issues with mine in months. It's a different animal now than it was at this point last year when it was first released.

Hasselblad is also being very responsive to user input with new FW features and the latest updates (including the one today).

I would agree that the X1D as body (not as system) is now exploiting its full potential. Limits are there and they principally have to do with the limits of the Sony sensor design and naturally with processing power. The initial glitches have gone and the camera works mostly reliable and makes a lot of fun.

The wishlist of firmware updates is getting shorter and shorter. For me personally there is still one very important point missing: the possibility to configure the minimum shutter time with a given aperture and ISO. Currently in A-Mode the camera goes down to 1:1 of focal length. Don't like it and it has caused already a lot of blurred photos. Now I am using more often M or S-Mode than I would like to.

On a more general level it is interesting to see the heavy, heavy price discounts you can get currently with Fuji GFX and Hassi X1D. This may not mean anything, or it may show that the market for this type of camera is not that big at all and it is getting very price-sensitive. So, I would imagine that Sony, PhaseOne and Leica are looking very closely, whether this market segment would be any profitable for them.

tcdeveau

I would agree that the X1D as body (not as system) is now exploiting its full potential. Limits are there and they principally have to do with the limits of the Sony sensor design and naturally with processing power. The initial glitches have gone and the camera works mostly reliable and makes a lot of fun.

The wishlist of firmware updates is getting shorter and shorter. For me personally there is still one very important point missing: the possibility to configure the minimum shutter time with a given aperture and ISO. Currently in A-Mode the camera goes down to 1:1 of focal length. Don't like it and it has caused already a lot of blurred photos. Now I am using more often M or S-Mode than I would like to.

On a more general level it is interesting to see the heavy, heavy price discounts you can get currently with Fuji GFX and Hassi X1D. This may not mean anything, or it may show that the market for this type of camera is not that big at all and it is getting very price-sensitive. So, I would imagine that Sony, PhaseOne and Leica are looking very closely, whether this market segment would be any profitable for them.
The price issue is curious for sure. We already know a new 33x44mm sensor is around the corner at some point, so they (either Sony or Fuji/Hasselblad) may be trying to clear stock of the current 50mp sensor. They may also just be trying to lower the barrier of entry into the system. Hasselblad in particular has quite a lens lineup for 2018....more X1D users means more lens sales. I imagine same would go for Fuji. Who knows. Maybe the market isn't that big, although I feel like both the GFX and X1D have been very popular cameras.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Joe, you might be one of the calmest, nicest people there is...

Doug, that's the nature of the Internet. With every new product (witness the Nikon D850 and Sony a7RIII for example), critics climb out of the woodwork to find flaws. Some do it for paid clicks. Some for the attention ("likes") they receive. I've been shooting with the X1D since January 21, 2017 and haven't had one occasion where a glitch caused me to miss a capture. Early in its life, the X1D was "twitchy". Those problems have largely been resolved with firmware updates (and one hardware repair to fix inoperative control wheels) and my camera is stable and a joy to use. I don't go through life finding people or corporations to blame. Life's too short. If you're genuinely interested in the X1D, I'd recommend renting one and trying it out for yourself. Seeding doubt is unproductive. Just my two cents.

Joe

Last edited:

ndwgolf

Hello
I'm away to buy a new X1D..........ive decided to buy the silver one and a can of black paint to save me initially $2k. I love shooting pretty girls and landscape so I am thinking of getting a 90mm X1D lens to start with and maybe if they have them a X1D to Hasselblad V lens adapter that way I can also use my V lenses on the X1D.
Can someone please confirm if that adapter is available?

Neil

ejpeiker

Hello
I'm away to buy a new X1D..........ive decided to buy the silver one and a can of black paint to save me initially $2k. I love shooting pretty girls and landscape so I am thinking of getting a 90mm X1D lens to start with and maybe if they have them a X1D to Hasselblad V lens adapter that way I can also use my V lenses on the X1D.

Neil
Kipon's website says they have a Hasselblad V to X1D converter:
7 models adapters for Hasselblad X1D camera now avaliable from KIPON-KIPON adapter

jng

Fotodiox also sells a V->X lens adapter, which incorporates a tripod foot. I'm expecting to receive mine (and also a shiny new X1D!) today. Will post impressions/results once I've had a chance to shake down the new kit.

John

tcdeveau

Hello

Neil
Just keep in mind with the V adapter you’ll be limited to using the electronic shutter for now, which works well but has a couple drawbacks.

sog1927

Fotodiox also sells a V->X lens adapter, which incorporates a tripod foot. I'm expecting to receive mine (and also a shiny new X1D!) today. Will post impressions/results once I've had a chance to shake down the new kit.

John
According to Ming Thein, Hasselblad also has one under development. They're looking at both the "dumb tube" type of adapter and something more like the V adapter for the H-series cameras:

"We’re testing both though it’s likely to be a plain adaptor using the e-shutter as the mechanics and control electronics required for using the V lens shutters are expensive and complex – look at the V-H adaptor – and on top of that, a lot of the older V lenses may not be accurate speed-wise either…"

Personally, I have an X1D and a Fotodiox adapter on the way.

I wonder if someone will make a Contax 645 lens adapter?
I asked Fringer and they said they have no plans :(

At least Fotodiox has now the Leica R-Adapter, which opens the door for some very interesting Apo-Lenses with enough image circle, like Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm, Apo-Elmarit 180mm, Apo-Telyt 280mm and the Apo-Telyt-Modular System :)

BJNY

I was surprised to see dji demonstrating their new stabilizer with an X1D.
Perhaps that means X2D will have specs that will appeal to filmmakers?

hcubell

I was surprised to see dji demonstrating their new stabilizer with an X1D.
Perhaps that means X2D will have specs that will appeal to filmmakers?

i knew this was coming. I will be very tempted to try it when the X2D appears and my X1D assumes back-up status!!!! The Inferno burns hot.

darr

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/2018/01/12/hasselblad-x1d-is-rated-the-worlds-finest-camera/

Expect product announcements throughout 2018, with expansions of the H6D and X1D product lines, perhaps including cameras at price points below X1D to broaden the market. By year’s end there will be twice as many lenses available for X1D.
I knew from the start I would be acquiring either the Hasselblad mirrorless or the Fuji, but I did not know which. I have shot Hasselblad since a teenage photographer and still do (I will be 60 this year :rolleyes:), but I also enjoy my Fuji mirrorless cameras and lenses. My CFV50c back coupled with my ALPA gear works very well for what I shoot. I have made up my mind and it will be the Hassy, but waiting for the next generation. Thank you for posting this article as it helped me decide.

Kind regards,
Darr