The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

BJNY

I knew from the start I would be acquiring either the Hasselblad mirrorless or the Fuji, but I did not know which. I have shot Hasselblad since a teenage photographer and still do (I will be 60 this year :rolleyes:), but I also enjoy my Fuji mirrorless cameras and lenses. My CFV50c back coupled with my ALPA gear works very well for what I shoot. I have made up my mind and it will be the Hassy, but waiting for the next generation. Thank you for posting this article as it helped me decide.

Kind regards,
Darr
Glad the info was of help to you.

Swissblad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/2018/01/12/hasselblad-x1d-is-rated-the-worlds-finest-camera/

Expect product announcements throughout 2018, with expansions of the H6D and X1D product lines, perhaps including cameras at price points below X1D to broaden the market. By year’s end there will be twice as many lenses available for X1D.
Thanks for posting this.

Intrigued that a new CFV-like back is a future option.....glad I kept my 503 body...... and who knows...perhaps a X1D derivative may rekindle our Xpan experience.

:thumbs:

Paratom

Hi there. My interest to get a X1D besides my S has increased as I would like to have the MF-IQ in a smaller (easier to carry for hiking and travel) and les osbtrusive (for kids, friends etc. (who wants to come with a Leica S+ lenses to the school-party of the kids) set.
Now I wonder how people react to the x1d? Do they say: "Wow, Hasselblad, must be expensive?"
And do you believe the black version draws less attention than the silver one? (In the end I am not really prefering one over the other, but I dont justify to pay 1000 Dollar extra for a black surface)
Thanks for any feedback. How do people react to the x1d?
Best, Thomas

tcdeveau

Hi there. My interest to get a X1D besides my S has increased as I would like to have the MF-IQ in a smaller (easier to carry for hiking and travel) and les osbtrusive (for kids, friends etc. (who wants to come with a Leica S+ lenses to the school-party of the kids) set.
Now I wonder how people react to the x1d? Do they say: "Wow, Hasselblad, must be expensive?"
And do you believe the black version draws less attention than the silver one? (In the end I am not really prefering one over the other, but I dont justify to pay 1000 Dollar extra for a black surface)
Thanks for any feedback. How do people react to the x1d?
Best, Thomas
In my experience, size of the setup tends to the biggest factor that gets people’s attention. The only people I’ve really had react to the X1D are the ones that know that it’s an X1D. I’ve only had a handful of ppl really come up to me and ask me about it so far. The H4D-40/35-90mm I used to use got far more attention, followed by a Nikon 70-200/body/battery grip setup. The X1D so far is pretty unobtrusive and is one of the things I like about it. I imagine black would be less noticeable than silver, but I’d just go silver.

DB5

It really seems the X2D is going to being set up as a useful motion tool.

From Ming Thein's site:

"...More interestingly, several new lenses were announced today that will round out the X platform in and of itself – a 120/3.5 1:2 macro; a 35-75mm zoom; and 22mm and 65mm primes. I was involved in some of the planning around these lenses and the aim was to balance quality with size and other properties such as PARFOCAL ZOOMING and magnification ratio; such optical design considerations are a delicate balance between size, performance, price and design complexity..."

Also I read that the sensor will output 4K 30p AND 8K 12p. 6fps stills and potentially 12fps in a crop mode.

All I know is I want one and it's going to be a long wait till it comes.

sog1927

In my experience, size of the setup tends to the biggest factor that gets people’s attention.
It's a quasi-MF body that I can literally slip into my jacket pocket. That's simply amazing (speaking as someone who lugged a case full of V-series hardware around for years).

ErikKaffehr

Hi Darr,

It is an interesting article.

I must say that I am very happy for both the X1D and the DJI investment. I would also say it was a great move from Hasselblad to engage Ming Tein as director for strategy.

Rumors were not very positive about Hasselblad's financial state before the DJI investment and a second DJI investment was necessary so that Hasselblad could enlarge production facilities.

I can just mention a funny thing. There is a site on Facebook called "objektivtest.se". Story behind is that a Swedish periodical called "Foto" used to do their testing at Hasselblad, in cooperation with Per Nordlund who is in charge of lens design at Hasselblad.

They had a question about MFD users, and I asked if my old 555/ELD and P45+ still counts? Per Nordlund answered like: "Yes, it definitively counts. You are lucky to have a very fine camera that will last for ever!" Such things are heart warming.

My blad has seen very little use since I have the Sony A7rII, partly because I was doing most of my travel by air and moving one kit is easier than moving two. But I still enjoy shooting with the old "Blad". I guess I will keep it.

This year I will do most of my travel with a camper and I am pretty sure I will have the "Blad" making the Sony company.

My Sony gear is heavier than my Hasselblad gear, although my Hasselblad gear includes 5 lenses and an extender. The Sony may be small, but the Canon lenses I mostly use it with are quite large. Also, the Sony stuff covers much more ground, from 10 mm fisheye to 400 mm and including tilt and shift options.

I would think that Hasselblad will make some backs for the V-system in the future. There where something like half a million V-system cameras made. But Hasselblad probably focuses on the X1D and the H-system.

I have noticed that the H6D50c is now reasonably priced, same cost as an X1D plus an H5X. I guess that manufacturing cost for the X1D and the 50MP cmos back is quite similar.

Nice to see Hasselblad being back in action!

Best regards
Erik

I knew from the start I would be acquiring either the Hasselblad mirrorless or the Fuji, but I did not know which. I have shot Hasselblad since a teenage photographer and still do (I will be 60 this year :rolleyes:), but I also enjoy my Fuji mirrorless cameras and lenses. My CFV50c back coupled with my ALPA gear works very well for what I shoot. I have made up my mind and it will be the Hassy, but waiting for the next generation. Thank you for posting this article as it helped me decide.

Kind regards,
Darr

For me the most interesting sentence in the Forbes article was this one:

"Expect product announcements throughout 2018, with expansions of the H6D and X1D product lines, perhaps including cameras at price points below X1D to broaden the market."

What may these cameras at lower price points be, I assume still MF?

tcdeveau

"Expect product announcements throughout 2018, with expansions of the H6D and X1D product lines, perhaps including cameras at price points below X1D to broaden the market."

I was skeptical of that sentence. Without citing any support for the statement, it just seemed like conjecture on the part of the author (although they did just expand the H6D line with the H6D-400 MS).

I'd be surprised if they introduced a new camera at a lower-than-X1D price point. It seems like they've got their hands full with the X and H lines as is....in Sweden at least. There are rumors of a smaller GFX-50s (GFX-50R maybe?), so maybe they'd be trying to compete with whatever that might be. Maybe we'd see something DJI-produced with the Hasselblad name? Who knows.

Many exciting things to come in the MF world. :watch:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would expect that Hasselblad may copy Sony a bit, so when they release a new camera the old version may be kept at a lower price point.

Very obviously, we will se a 100 MP X2D or X1Ds in a couple years. Or would we see an X2D with phase detecting AF.

It is a bit interesting to compare with Sony A7 history, after all Sony is making the sensors, so their priorities matter a lot. Add to that developing a new sensor is said to take three years and the making of a single sensor takes 3-4 months. Sensor making is not a very fast moving business.

Sony A7 and A7r were introduced at the same time. A7 had rudimentary phase detection and electronic first curtain. The A7r did not. My understanding that the Sony just slammed in the Nikon D800 sensor in the A7r.

It took Sony two (long) years to release the A7rII that had working phase detection, EFCS and a new 42MP BSI sensor. The A7II and and the A7SII had usability updates but no new sensor. All the older models were kept in production.

2017, Sony released the A9, which has a new sensor enabling fast electronic shutter and very fast readout, assisted by a front side LSI originating from the Alpha 6500 plus significant usability enhancements. Sony also released the A7rIII with the A9 body, front side LSI and usability enhancement. The old models still available.

The Sony strategy makes business sense.

I think Hasselblad returned to their origin of making great camera systems at a reasonable cost and they have a great competitor in Fuji.

Best regards
Erik

sog1927

Hi Darr,

My blad has seen very little use since I have the Sony A7rII, partly because I was doing most of my travel by air and moving one kit is easier than moving two. But I still enjoy shooting with the old "Blad". I guess I will keep it.

This year I will do most of my travel with a camper and I am pretty sure I will have the "Blad" making the Sony company.

My Sony gear is heavier than my Hasselblad gear, although my Hasselblad gear includes 5 lenses and an extender. The Sony may be small, but the Canon lenses I mostly use it with are quite large. Also, the Sony stuff covers much more ground, from 10 mm fisheye to 400 mm and including tilt and shift options.

I would think that Hasselblad will make some backs for the V-system in the future. There where something like half a million V-system cameras made. But Hasselblad probably focuses on the X1D and the H-system.

I have noticed that the H6D50c is now reasonably priced, same cost as an X1D plus an H5X. I guess that manufacturing cost for the X1D and the 50MP cmos back is quite similar.

Nice to see Hasselblad being back in action!

Best regards
Erik
My V-series travel kit consisted of a 503CW, PME-5, winder, 3 A-12 magazines, 40/50/80/120/250, a couple of extension tubes, and a Mutar. Sometimes the 500 ApoTessar if I was feeling really crazy. And a brick of film, of course. Traveling by air with that is a bit of an adventure (the security people in Frankfurt were pretty suspicious of the ApoTessar). I can't imagine traveling with a heavier kit than that - and airport security must have been quite an experience with some of those large Canon telephotos.

If Hasselblad makes a 645 V-series back (say, a CFV150 with the next-gen Sony sensor), I'll be quite tempted to buy it. Of course, then I'd really need to get a 90-degree finder to replace the PME-5.

I just got the X1D body. I have no XCD lenses yet, so I'm using it with the Fotodiox adapter and my V-series lenses. This obviously has some limitations, and I look forward to using it with native lenses soon. The CF lenses hold up surprisingly well (particularly since I can't figure out how to get Phocus to let me get to the V-series lens corrections on an X1D raw file). With focus-peaking and the zoom feature, doing manual focus under normal circumstances with X1D is much easier than I expected - although focusing in the extreme macro range (say, at about 12x with a bellows, some tubes, and a Zeiss Luminar) is quite difficult. The inability to use flash with the e-shutter makes that pretty impractical anyway, but I did want to see if it was possible to focus at all that way. If the forthcoming Hasselblad V-series adapter actually lets you get to the lens shutter (I have the microscope shutter), I might try it for real - but focusing with the clear screen (as opposed to ground glass of the Acute Matte) on the 503 is much easier with high magnifications.

jng

I'm not holding my breath for a full-frame V system sensor. But based on my experience with the V-mount IQ160, which at "only" 60 Mp is totally unforgiving, one would be best off focusing via live view. I found that focusing via the optical viewfinder is best done with the late-generation waist level finder (4.5x mag). The prisms are darker and require a view magnifier to get up to a reasonable magnification for my tired old eyes at least. Even if HB came out with full-frame high-resolution backs, as much as I love using my old 500 series bodies I'm not sure I'd bite.

I have been quite pleased with how my old 100, 120 Makro-Planar, and 250 Superachromat lenses render on the X1D (also using the Fotodiox adapter). I have yet to try my 350 Tele-Tessar but alas it's not a particularly sharp or well-corrected optic to begin with. I recently picked up a 4x loupe, which I find takes most if not all of the guesswork out of focusing in live view @ 100%.

John

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The way I focus on the 555/ELD is using a 3X Zeiss monocular that gives 9X with the PM5, but only 6X with the PM90 I use now.

Yes, I think that critical focusing in the viewfinder is hard. I don't have a CMOS back. With my Sonys I would mosly use magnified live view, that is focus at actual pixels. I hope the CMOS backs have that option.

Best regards
Erik

My V-series travel kit consisted of a 503CW, PME-5, winder, 3 A-12 magazines, 40/50/80/120/250, a couple of extension tubes, and a Mutar. Sometimes the 500 ApoTessar if I was feeling really crazy. And a brick of film, of course. Traveling by air with that is a bit of an adventure (the security people in Frankfurt were pretty suspicious of the ApoTessar). I can't imagine traveling with a heavier kit than that - and airport security must have been quite an experience with some of those large Canon telephotos.

If Hasselblad makes a 645 V-series back (say, a CFV150 with the next-gen Sony sensor), I'll be quite tempted to buy it. Of course, then I'd really need to get a 90-degree finder to replace the PME-5.

I just got the X1D body. I have no XCD lenses yet, so I'm using it with the Fotodiox adapter and my V-series lenses. This obviously has some limitations, and I look forward to using it with native lenses soon. The CF lenses hold up surprisingly well (particularly since I can't figure out how to get Phocus to let me get to the V-series lens corrections on an X1D raw file). With focus-peaking and the zoom feature, doing manual focus under normal circumstances with X1D is much easier than I expected - although focusing in the extreme macro range (say, at about 12x with a bellows, some tubes, and a Zeiss Luminar) is quite difficult. The inability to use flash with the e-shutter makes that pretty impractical anyway, but I did want to see if it was possible to focus at all that way. If the forthcoming Hasselblad V-series adapter actually lets you get to the lens shutter (I have the microscope shutter), I might try it for real - but focusing with the clear screen (as opposed to ground glass of the Acute Matte) on the 503 is much easier with high magnifications.

Paratom

I have a demo-x1d for the weekend, and what should I say, I am pretty impressed by certain things:
- Color, even in LR it seems very "reliable" on my first look
- handling - with the 45mm very compfortable size (if I compare to my S+45mm)
- AF seems to work fine
- EVF - better than I expected

The most disturbing thing I find black out time, sometimes one doesnt know if I get the right moment or not, but I think I could live with it.
Vignetting is heavy without lens correction, but I guess thats one of the prices for the compact size.
Considering the compact size, if my first impressions continue I am really tempted to get in and maybe to even replace my whole S equipment.

This is really MF IQ in fullframe-size.

Has anybody tested any xpan lens on the x1d?

OleBe

Dear all,

First let me say hello. Have been reading this forum for quite a while and now have decided to join.

Coming from the Fuji GFX I have now decided to return it, because Fuji was not able to provide me a unit with a clean sensor, and ordered the Hasselblad X1D field kit in black.

Cannot believe how far this camera has developed since the last time I tried it. Firmware is really advanced now and includes all functions I need for the time being. Am really impressed. :cool:

While waiting on my camera to arrive, could take until end of February, let me quickly ask you professionals a question.

Having a Godox AD600 System at home with TTL which works splendid I was asking myself the question what trigger I need to buy. As far as I understand that would be the Nikon one and as the profoto Air TTL should work with the same functionality. Did somebody try this out already?

Also coming from HSS which was necessary with the Fuji I assume I can skip this function and use the flash perfectly up to a t0.1 of 1/2000 sec power setting within regular mode. If I would need to go higher with the power I have no clue if HSS still could be a benefit (at least if I make the flash fire in HSS mode).

Thank you for shedding some light on this. Looking forward contributing my experiences with the new system. :)

Kind regards

Ole

I have a demo-x1d for the weekend, and what should I say, I am pretty impressed by certain things:

The most disturbing thing I find black out time, sometimes one doesnt know if I get the right moment or not, but I think I could live with it.
Are you shooting RAW+JPG? I believe if you shoot RAW only the blackout time is much shorter... not sure if they ever fixed this, I haven't had time to shoot with the camera after the latest firmware update.

hcubell

DB5

It's an intelligent review in the sense that it is honest and considered. I could be wrong but I think it is more showmanship than transparency though. I don't think for one second he's going to lose his job over it, like he says he will risk. This was released now because it has been cleared by the company. Sales, orders and interest have exceeded what they had planned and hoped for but with all these rumours of newer models about I'm sure sales have slowed and and from this point is is helpful to run a further narrative about developing and growing as a company.

But it's refreshing to read an honest review about a companies own product. Hasselblad are doing great.

Geoff

Agreed. Very thoughtful and honest review. And enlightening about these new MFD cameras, which are in-between older notions as they break new ground. Particularly fond of his "who is the camera for?" part of the review.