The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

Paratom

Besides the review I would like to mention that I had excellent help from Hasselblad to solve a problem which occured when buying my x1d. Ultrafast response.

jduncan

Hi,

I am a little concerned about this comment :

"I’ll be the first to admit that for most people and purposes, it makes the other options in our lineup difficult to justify – unless you absolutely need the optical finder, or AF on a lens that exists only in the H system. Even CF lenses can be adapted with the CF-H and H-X adaptors, and used with the electronic shutter at much wider speed ranges than the original 1/500s mechanical shutters."

This is the second time I see a similar reference, the last time was the CEO talking about the market deciding the future of the H.

I hope that the promised updates to the H does not consist on the H6D-400MS and an H6D-150c only. I want an H7.

Besides that speculative bit, a very well written article that show the amount of work done by Hasselblad on the improvement of the X1D.
If Hasselblad listen to his points the X2D will be a fantastic beast. Maybe a little fatter if the til/shift screen is added. Finaly I agree with the bit about the H6D viewfinder: It's almost a magical experience the first time, and a litteral eye oppener. For people that is very deliberate vs a DSLR viewfinder is mayor adventage.

Best regards,

hcubell

Hi,

Finaly I agree with the bit about the H6D viewfinder: It's almost a magical experience the first time, and a litteral eye oppener. For people that is very deliberate vs a DSLR viewfinder is mayor adventage.

Best regards,
As much as I enjoy shooting with the X1D, I agree with you that the visual experience of looking through that OVF in the H series cameras is still extraordinary compared to looking through an EVF. I plan to sell my H bodies and IQ 180 and I promised myself not to look through the viewfinder again before I pull the trigger.

tcdeveau

As much as I enjoy shooting with the X1D, I agree with you that the visual experience of looking through that OVF in the H series cameras is still extraordinary compared to looking through an EVF. I plan to sell my H bodies and IQ 180 and I promised myself not to look through the viewfinder again before I pull the trigger.
The H viewfinder is extraordinary for sure. Every time anyone looked through my H4D-40 for the first time the reaction was always "woah". The EVF has its merits too though. Image review with magnification in bright sunlight, for example, allows me to review the image in a way I never could with the H. I'm sure the EVF in the X will improve over time too....

DB5

Hi,

I am a little concerned about this comment :

"I’ll be the first to admit that for most people and purposes, it makes the other options in our lineup difficult to justify – unless you absolutely need the optical finder, or AF on a lens that exists only in the H system. Even CF lenses can be adapted with the CF-H and H-X adaptors, and used with the electronic shutter at much wider speed ranges than the original 1/500s mechanical shutters."

This is the second time I see a similar reference, the last time was the CEO talking about the market deciding the future of the H.

I hope that the promised updates to the H does not consist on the H6D-400MS and an H6D-150c only. I want an H7.

Besides that speculative bit, a very well written article that show the amount of work done by Hasselblad on the improvement of the X1D.
If Hasselblad listen to his points the X2D will be a fantastic beast. Maybe a little fatter if the til/shift screen is added. Finaly I agree with the bit about the H6D viewfinder: It's almost a magical experience the first time, and a litteral eye oppener. For people that is very deliberate vs a DSLR viewfinder is mayor adventage.

Best regards,
Nah, I think it's just a sale tactic. It's like a refined version of the street market vendor shouting out "My prices are so low I'm practically giving it away! I must be mad!"

Dear all,

Having a Godox AD600 System at home with TTL which works splendid I was asking myself the question what trigger I need to buy. As far as I understand that would be the Nikon one and as the profoto Air TTL should work with the same functionality. Did somebody try this out already?

Also coming from HSS which was necessary with the Fuji I assume I can skip this function and use the flash perfectly up to a t0.1 of 1/2000 sec power setting within regular mode. If I would need to go higher with the power I have no clue if HSS still could be a benefit (at least if I make the flash fire in HSS mode).

Kind regards

Ole
Sadly, the flash duration of the AD600 at the highest power is 1/220th of a second which doesn't go very well with a shutter speed of 1/2000th of a second.

hcubell

Sadly, the flash duration of the AD600 at the highest power is 1/220th of a second which doesn't go very well with a shutter speed of 1/2000th of a second.
Eric, are you sure? There are several photographers who post at the DP Review MF Forum who absolutely INSIST that the Godox HSS system works perfectly in all situations and has rendered leaf shutter lenses obsolete. However, these guys always insist that everything related to the Fuji GFX is just perfect and don't do well with dissenting opinions, so I have no idea if they are right.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I don't have the AD 600, but I have an DA 200 and it does have t0.1 around 1/220. It does loose power at 1/500s on a Hasselblad 555/ELD. If I switch to 1/4 power, it will have zero loss of power trough 1/500 LS:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60622964

The AD 200 works extremely well with my Sony A7rII, both regarding HSS and TTL. But physics still apply to, something that the guy posting on DPR fails to acknowledge.

Best regards
Erik

Eric, are you sure? There are several photographers who post at the DP Review MF Forum who absolutely INSIST that the Godox HSS system works perfectly in all situations and has rendered leaf shutter lenses obsolete. However, these guys always insist that everything related to the Fuji GFX is just perfect and don't do well with dissenting opinions, so I have no idea if they are right.

OleBe

Dear all,

thank you - my question was more or less going into the direct if the trigger will work. Meanwhile Hasselblad rep told my dealer that this should work fine including TTL. My camera has not arrived (due to in about 1-2 weeks) so I cannot test for the time being. The X-Pro N (Nikon version) is ordered though so I can once my camera has arrived.

Do I correctly assume that with the AD600 and t0.1 which is faster then 1/2000 second (approx. 1/8 + 0,3 power) it should work splendid?

More power will result into slower t0.1 and might not have a significantely increased power output as result.

However remembering from my Fuji cameras power of the AD600 in HSS mode will drop significantly only as from 1/4000 sec exposure time.
So it could be possible if the X1D would be able to trigger the HSS mode, which currently it is not, the flash should have a better output value vs. shutter speed on higher power levels.

Let us see - will share my findings as soon as I can. :)

dancook

When the X1D was announced, as with many people - I loved what it stood for - high IQ in an aesthetic portable package.
But at the time I ended up buying a Leica SL as I needed something a bit more practical.

I am considering selling Q + SL, getting something with better AF for photography work.
Keeping M10 for travel

Then getting something else for portraits, this could be an opportunity to explore digital medium format - though X1D+Lens is probably the max budget, and I don't know much about the larger varieties.

I saw mentioned of X2D 100MP a page back, is that likely?
I'm in no rush professionally, but I am impulsive and impatient :)

Last edited:

Paratom

When the X1D was announced, as with many people - I loved what it stood for - high IQ in an aesthetic portable package.
But at the time I ended up buying a Leica SL as I needed something a bit more practical.

I am considering selling Q + SL, getting something with better AF for photography work.
Keeping M10 for travel

Then getting something else for portraits, this could be an opportunity to explore digital medium format - though X1D+Lens is probably the max budget, and I don't know much about the larger varieties.

What you plan to replace the SL with. I find the SL AF pretty good?

In my case I added the x1d recently, to me it feels like a digital Mamyi6, or a slow down Leica M in large size and with AF.
For faster things, Tele I keep the SL.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would say that 100 MP in 44x33 mm is extremely likely. Why? Because of this:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/11719...ap-includes-150mp-medium-format-chip-for-2018

You see a sensor called IMX461, Type 3.6 at 100 MP and back side illuminated. Sony published this roadmap on the latest Photokina.

So, it says a sensor called 'IMX461', coming this year. But arrival may lag.

Sony would not make that sensor if there were no customers. If we look at the normal suspects:

• Fuji states that the lens program is targeted at 100MP. It seems very probable that once the sensor arrives, Fuji will use it.
  • Hasselblad will certainly also use it. They don't want to play second fiddle to Fuji.
  • Pentax probably also would use it.
  • Phase One would probably also use it.

In all probability the IMX461 will bring a major step in image quality. The present 50MP sensor is quite old, so the new sensor will have 4-5 more years of development behind it. Reducing the pixel size improves sharpness, not necessary when viewed at 1:1 (actual pixels) on screen, but in any other context. It will also reduce aliasing quite a bit.

So, I would say it is a 100% bet regarding if, but the big question is when?!

Here is some more info: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html

Best regards
Erik

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Keeping M10 for travel

Both the Q and the SL have excellent AF capabilities . Only limitation I have found is focus tracking on a fast moving subject (car races etc ).

Highly unlikely that the X1d has better AF capabilities ??? The advantage of the X1D is better overall image quality due to having a terrific 50MP sensor and excellent HB color tuning .

Paratom

In all probability the IMX461 will bring a major step in image quality. The present 50MP sensor is quite old, so the new sensor will have 4-5 more years of development behind it. Reducing the pixel size improves sharpness, not necessary when viewed at 1:1 (actual pixels) on screen, but in any other context. It will also reduce aliasing quite a bit.

Here is some more info: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html

Best regards
Erik
I also believe that we will see such sensor in 2018 in cameras. x2d?
What I doubt is that it will be a major step up in IQ for most users.

etto72

Hi,

I would say that 100 MP in 44x33 mm is extremely likely. Why? Because of this:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/11719...ap-includes-150mp-medium-format-chip-for-2018

You see a sensor called IMX461, Type 3.6 at 100 MP and back side illuminated. Sony published this roadmap on the latest Photokina.

So, it says a sensor called 'IMX461', coming this year. But arrival may lag.

Sony would not make that sensor if there were no customers. If we look at the normal suspects:

• Fuji states that the lens program is targeted at 100MP. It seems very probable that once the sensor arrives, Fuji will use it.
  • Hasselblad will certainly also use it. They don't want to play second fiddle to Fuji.
  • Pentax probably also would use it.
  • Phase One would probably also use it.

Best regards
Erik

I wrote an email to an Hasselblad insider, asking if it was worth to get a second body as a back up for my extensive traveling later the year or wait for the X1D successor....
this is what he wrote: :Since the X1D is now no longer new, and you already have one to work with now...I would suggest a little patience ;)"

my hope is that then X2D will be at Photokina!

jduncan

I wrote an email to a Hasselblad insider, asking if it was worth to get a second body as a back up for my extensive traveling later the year or wait for the X1D successor....
this is what he wrote: :Since the X1D is now no longer new, and you already have one to work with now...I would suggest a little patience ;)"

my hope is that then X2D will be at Photokina!

If the X2D shows at Photokina, even if it's in a typical Hasselblad fashion, it will be a mayor undertaking and mayor confidence build.
There are signs of an X2D, like the significant discounts, Ming Thein comments etc. A new body with a significant advantage over 35mm and new lenses.

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

So we better be good, to get an X2D for the holidays :)

Best regards,

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

A 100MP version would not be a major design effort. The 100MP sensor is probably a drop in replacement.

If the 100MP sensor has on sensor PD the software needs some development, too.

I would guess that Hasselblad has samples of the new sensors by now.

The question is if Hasselbald just makes a sensor upgrade, or if they will have a redesigned camera.

Best regards
Erik

If the X2D shows at Photokina, even if it's in a typical Hasselblad fashion, it will be a mayor undertaking and mayor confidence build.
There are signs of an X2D, like the significant discounts, Ming Thein comments etc. A new body with a significant advantage over 35mm and new lenses.

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

So we better be good, to get an X2D for the holidays :)

Best regards,

D&A

Hmmm, doesn't this camera (pictured below), tick some of the boxes mentioned? Large LCD for reading glasses free viewing, thin body form factor for one handed operation with built in grip for large hands, large buttons for easy, no fumbling in the dark access and yes, a touch pad for what I assume is designed for moving the autofocus point? My guess is MP count is quite manageable too! I wonder, which camera was an inspiration for the other? :ROTFL:

It's also already available for sale, so Hasselblad better get movin' on that X2D! Ming, take notice! :)

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:

Paratom

For me a faster startup and shorter blackout would be of much more value than any increased pixel density.
I have used Leica S 37MP and lower DR than x1d for years now and never felt any need for more MP or more DR.