The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

gmfotografie

Actually I try Phocus with the X1D - i have some issues:

I´m not able to see a live-view with a exposure simulation?
When I change the shutterspeed from 1/100 ( dark ) to 2 seconds - nothing happens - just a black picture on phocus.
If i check the picture on the cameraback - exposure simulation is correct, i see a brighter preview.

Is an exposure live-view not working on phocus with the X1D?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Have you tested "exposure simulation", page 111 of the manual? Just a guess...

Best regards
Erik

Actually I try Phocus with the X1D - i have some issues:

I´m not able to see a live-view with a exposure simulation?
When I change the shutterspeed from 1/100 ( dark ) to 2 seconds - nothing happens - just a black picture on phocus.
If i check the picture on the cameraback - exposure simulation is correct, i see a brighter preview.

Is an exposure live-view not working on phocus with the X1D?

DB5

So is the 90mm Bokeh issue resolved? is the Bokeh Round now?

And what happens when you stop down a stop? Does it go back to looking terrible still?

Are all the lenses affected with this?

This hexagonal aperture and odd shaped, chopped up bokeh balls, to me, are an unsightly distraction and a deal breaker. There is no reason in this day and age for new lenses to have ugly bokeh.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The problem in all probability still remains when the lens is stopped down.

Which MFD systems have round apertures?

Best regards
Erik

And what happens when you stop down a stop? Does it go back to looking terrible still?

This hexagonal aperture and odd shaped, chopped up bokeh balls, to me, are an unsightly distraction and a deal breaker. There is no reason in this day and age for new lenses to have ugly bokeh.

tcdeveau

Yes it was fixed a few firmware updates ago at least at full aperture.

That’s a good question about what happens when you stop down a stop. I either shoot wide open or f8-f11 so haven’t bothered to look.

DB5

Hi,

The problem in all probability still remains when the lens is stopped down.

Which MFD systems have round apertures?

Best regards
Erik
Bokeh shapes should be round when stopped down at least 2 stops.

The X1D 90mm has nice bokeh but it is, in my opinion, ruined by the bokeh ball shape. It looks awful. It's made worse by the fact the edges are chopped up and very irregular looking and increasingly so towards the edges of the frame, caused by the leaf shutter clipping - this may be a universal XCD design trait.

The firmware update only creates round shapes when shooting wide open so if you want pleasing non distracting bokeh you are stuck shooting wide open which is rarely the right aperture. I hope the new lenses aren't the same, especially the fast 80mm. This would be a deal breaker for me.

I just saw a picture of the 120mm wide open and it has the weird half hexagonal half round bokeh too - :thumbdown: :scry:

The Fuji's don't look like this. I'm guessing they are round - can someone comment?

Contax 645 are round down to f22

My Mamiya lenses are round until f11.

The Leica S lenses are mostly round too.

jduncan

Today's Adobe ACR and Lightroom update includes lens profiles for Hasselblad X lenses that were announced last November:

Could the lenses be far behind?

Joe
Hi,
Good finding.
This is surreal, at least for people like me, that has some time following MF.
It seems that Hasselblad is about to deliver a bunch of lenses.
If they ship the lenses and announce the X2D by the end of the year, it will be quite something. Since time immemorial Hasselblad has not performed this way.
I hope they succeed, and they don't lose momentum. It will be the last nail in the coffin for the "DJI bought Hasselblad, Hasselblad is dead" conspiration theories.

Best regards,

Last edited:

sog1927

Hi,
Good finding.
This is surreal, at least for the people like me, that has some time following MF.
It seems that Hasselblad is about to deliver a bunch of lenses.
If they ship the lenses and announce the X2D by the end of the year, it will be quite something. Since time immemorial Hasselblad has not performed this way.
I hope they succeed, and they don't lose momentum. It will be the last nail in the coffin for the "DJI bought Hasselblad, Hasselblad is dead" conspiration theories.

Best regards,
There was also the cryptic comment in the Phocus 3.3.4 changelog that it "adds lens correction support for an upcoming product".

Hope springs eternal ;-)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Great to see Hasselblad truly rounding out the XCD lens line up. 21mm though 135mm is a nice spread. If I were buying in to the system (and I might still yet after lusting over John Ngai’s 4116) then as usual we’d want MORE reach even than 135mm. :thumbup:

hcubell

Great to see Hasselblad truly rounding out the XCD lens line up. 21mm though 135mm is a nice spread. If I were buying in to the system (and I might still yet after lusting over John Ngai’s 4116) then as usual we’d want MORE reach even than 135mm. :thumbup:
The 135 will come with a dedicated 1.7x TC that converts the 135 into a 240 f/4.8. There is also the HC 210, which performs very nicely on the X1D.

sog1927

There was also the cryptic comment in the Phocus 3.3.4 changelog that it "adds lens correction support for an upcoming product".

Hope springs eternal ;-)
Of course, that could also be the long-awaited Hasselblad V-series adapter (hopefully with leaf shutter support) :D

hcubell

Today's Adobe ACR and Lightroom update includes lens profiles for Hasselblad X lenses that were announced last November:

Could the lenses be far behind?

Joe
As another "data" point, the latest lens firmware just released by Hasselblad includes support for the forthcoming 21mm XCD lens, which suggests that the 21mm lens is the next XCD lens to be released.
Naturally, that is the only XCD lens I do NOT plan to buy. [G]

MrSmith

Phase One just announced their aerial camera based on Sony 100mp 33x44 sensor shipping in June.
Does this mean an X2D is close?
no idea but i find it odd that a low volume product gets the exclusivity first and the high volume (HB and Fuji mirrorless) get the the sensor later.
is there a business reason for that? or does the high cost/low volume product get charged more per sensor for those exclusive months which isn’t an issue due to high margins on those products?

tcdeveau

no idea but i find it odd that a low volume product gets the exclusivity first and the high volume (HB and Fuji mirrorless) get the the sensor later.
is there a business reason for that? or does the high cost/low volume product get charged more per sensor for those exclusive months which isn’t an issue due to high margins on those products?
Who says it's an exclusivity thing? I was under the impression P1 was just first to market with the industrial product, which doesn't necessarily mean exclusivity.

Doug from DT suggested that the industrial products are less complex (no battery, no viewfinder, no LCD, etc), so the industrial product may have come out first simply because it was the easiest product for P1 to upgrade.

I imagine it still might be awhile before we see an X2D or GFX100 as these products haven't even hit the 2 year mark in their product cycle yet. I'm still more interested in the new XCD lenses than I am the X2D at the moment.

JeRuFo

I don't think you should see this as a negative, but as a positive. It means the sensors are at the manufacturers and they can start the design and testing. The reason for it going into an aerial product first probably has more to do with the relative simplicity of a device like that compared to a camera system with a lot more variables and uses.
I wouldn't expect an X2D anytime soon, HB has always been kind of slow bringing their products to market. I think we will first see an IQ4 with a big sensor from Phase One and then a small sensor from them before Hasselblad will bring anything. How quick Fuji is with all this I don't know, but they might be relatively quick.
I don't know how much support every manufacturer needs from Sony and if they have the resources to help everyone at the same time? There must have been a reason that both the GFX and the X1D only came out quite late in the product cycle of that sensor.