The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I ordered the 21 directly from Hasselblad (US). They said 1 month to ship, but it shipped in a week. This was on June 29. A superb performer - as long as you apply the software lens corrections.

--Matt

(But seriously, it's VERY wide. Something between the 21 and the 30 would be great. This is like having a 16mm FF lens and a 24mm, but no 19 or 21. Leica S has a 24, Fuji GFX has a 23. I'd love 24 and 35 XCD lenses. The zoom may take care of the 35, but a 24 would be heavenly.)

Last edited:

ejpeiker

Actually, Hasselblad has shipped a number of 21mm lenses. If you go over to the X1D Facebook page, there are are many photographers all over the world who have uploaded photos taken with the 21mm lens. By all accounts, it is an exceptional lens. The simple reality is that demand has exceeded the supply. This is the way it works for products that are in high demand. For those that have ordered it and not taken delivery, it sucks. I think I recently read that the Nikon D850 is still backordered over a year after it started shipping.
Good to see that some are starting to trickle out, but the point is still valid as the other two aren't even available for pre-order yet. As for the D850, that is a Nikon distribution model problem. They are easy to get outside of North America and in some geographies there are even promotions that reduce the cost. i was in Finland last week and went into two different camera stores and all had a number of them new in boxes and also D850's to try out on the showroom floor. It's the same in every other country I've been in since the camera was released. Nikon's distribution model which prevents them from shifting inventory from geographies with excess to geographies that are backordered is the fundamental problem.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Yeah the 21’s have been out and about for awhile (I’ve had mine for over two months) but they’ve missed the date from the press releases on the others. I was happy to see them in development, and would be happier if the other lenses (65, 35-75, and 135) were available by now, but it is what it is. Hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer, and hopefully they’ll be ready to ship in numbers when they are announced.

FWIW I was at an event in June and the HB rep was saying “by the end of the year” for the 65, 35-75, 135, and 80, but I’m taking that with a grain of salt.

hcubell

Good to see that some are starting to trickle out, but the point is still valid as the other two aren't even available for pre-order yet. As for the D850, that is a Nikon distribution model problem. They are easy to get outside of North America and in some geographies there are even promotions that reduce the cost. i was in Finland last week and went into two different camera stores and all had a number of them new in boxes and also D850's to try out on the showroom floor. It's the same in every other country I've been in since the camera was released. Nikon's distribution model which prevents them from shifting inventory from geographies with excess to geographies that are backordered is the fundamental problem.
How long have you personally been waiting for the 21?

ejpeiker

How long have you personally been waiting for the 21?
I haven't been but am dismayed about the lack of delivery by Hasselblad as I was considering this system as my lightweight alternative to my Phase One system when I can't travel heavy especially when an X2D materializes and the lenses I would need are available. When I was again investigating the system today and trying to price it out, I realized that some of the lenses that were announced last year that I would need are still not available and not even orderable yet. A company that I can't rely on to deliver what it promises is disheartening and makes me think twice.

hcubell

I haven't been but am dismayed about the lack of delivery by Hasselblad as I was considering this system as my lightweight alternative to my Phase One system when I can't travel heavy especially when an X2D materializes and the lenses I would need are available. When I was again investigating the system today and trying to price it out, I realized that some of the lenses that were announced last year that I would need are still not available and not even orderable yet. A company that I can't rely on to deliver what it promises is disheartening and makes me think twice.
I understand. Buying into a system on the come requires a leap of faith. In my case, the slow pace for the release of native lenses has not been a particularly serious issue. I already had a full set of H series lenses to fill in at the long end. A 150, a 210 and a 300. The native XCD 30, 45, 90 and 120 cover my needs. I look forward to the release of the other XCD lenses, but I can wait. I vastly prefer to have Hasselblad get them right.
I bought the X1D as a lightweight alternative to my Phase IQ180 kit, but the Phase kit doesn’t get much action these days! It’s quite lonely.

The Ute

I agree with EJ.

To put that statement into context, I'm "all in" on the X1D, have both a 4116 version and a standard version, all of the available native lenses, plus several HC lenses that I use with the XH adapter. I emphasize "available" because the XCD 21mm lens, while orderable, is not available at major retailers. I know that because I've had an open order since May 15, 2018. I decided recently to place an order through the Hasselblad Store to see if that path would result in a faster delivery. Yes, I know that the lens has been seen "in the wild" and has been reported to be stellar. That fact doesn't console me at the moment.

I've been using the X1D since December 2016 and it's the most fun camera that I've owned in the digital era. That includes every Nikon "pro" DSLR from the D1X through the D810, Leica S Type 006 and S2, Pentax 645Z, Phase One DF+IQ180, Leica M, Sony a7R and a7RII, and Hasselblad H4D-40 and -50. The X1D, despite its shaky start, has matured into an easy to use, stable, ergonomically superb medium format camera with outstanding picture quality. As a camera, it's all I need. I've sold off my other stuff.

Yes, I've turned into an X1D fanboy.

Here's the rub. Hasselblad has a major problem in delivering on their marketing promises. It's happened repeatedly since the announcement of the X1D in 2016. Whether users are content with missed promises isn't the issue. Whether the promised deliveries are being missed due to higher than expected demand isn't the issue. The issue is a repeated pattern of making marketing statements like this...

...that have no reasonable chance of being met. Period. Full stop.

Couple that with a PR and marketing engine that fails to follow up on these promises with revised estimates, explanations, or mea culpas, and you have a dysfunctional organization that customers and potential customers lose faith in. I don't blame EJ for being hesitant with his purchase decision.

Since this is a Photokina year, I'd hazard a guess that the Gothenburg team is singularly focused on preparing for the show, making and testing prototypes, making final revisions to the script, and deciding what promises to make (and to revise?). I've been in that situation before, prepping for big international trade shows in my former corporate life. It's "all hands on deck" time and not much else gets done, especially in a tiny company like Hasselblad.

My advice to potential X1D customers is to carefully test their needs/wants against what the reality is (great camera, four stellar native lenses that are readily available plus the ability to adapt a lineup of HC lenses using the XH adapter, and fast service from Hasselblad US for repairs), and not against what has been published by a marketing organization with a poor record of meeting their promises.

Joe
Greetings Joe
Thanks for posting all that info.
Be sure to check your e-mail.
Hope all is well

Mike

algrove

It appears to me that the marketing and manufacturing departments do not talk to each other often enough.

hcubell

It appears to me that the marketing and manufacturing departments do not talk to each other often enough.
Not really. The basic problem is that Hasselblad doesn’t have a manufacturing department for lenses. They outsource the manufacturing of all lenses, so they are dependent upon the contract manufacturer, Nittoh, for prototypes and inventory.

jduncan

Speaking of unavailable items, in this press release, Hasselblad said that the 21mm, 35-70mm, and 65mm would all be available in the first half of 2018:

https://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/hasselblad-expands-the-lens-range-for-the-x1d-50c/

We are now more than a month into the second half of 2018 and none of these lenses are actually available. The only one that can even be pre-ordered is the 21mm... It seems they haven't learned from their previous history of announcing dates and then not even remotely keeping them...
Hi,

One month is nothing, even Nikon and Canon fail in that sense. The problem is that Hasselblad is not Nikon, nor Canon and they don't have the track record to calm people (so much that you don't even notice). They need to understand that and engage the users. n I was thinking they have abandoned the lenses until the 21mm show out.
A note telling us: "We are working on the lenses and we are working on expanding capabilities at launch". Or: "the 21mm proven to be more popular than we expected and we are delaying the release of the other lenses" or similar.
They don't have to detail (competitive reasons) but say something that shows the lenses are coming.

Best regards,

DB5

The only real issue is peoples excitement for it and I really appreciate the anticipation for it. I feel the same way.

It's Hasselblad's camera for the future and is going to be around for a long time and will likely replace the H eventually. Why would they rush anything at this point? I would imagine it's a company full of very proud people who feel honoured to work on such a thing, who want to make the best thing they can, building a seminal system for the future, a pivotal system which supersedes nearly one hundred years of a very successful paradigm. It's a chance for Hasselblad to get back to where they were and I'm sure they want and actually need to take the time that is needed to get things just right.

I really want it but appreciate what is involved and am happy to wait until it's right. I don't want a half-baked system that could be amazing. Looking at the incoming sensor specs and lens road map, I can't see how it could be anything short of incredible and the camera for me.

jduncan

I agree with EJ.

Here's the rub. Hasselblad has a major problem in delivering on their marketing promises. It's happened repeatedly since the announcement of the X1D in 2016. Whether users are content with missed promises isn't the issue. Whether the promised deliveries are being missed due to higher than expected demand isn't the issue. The issue is a repeated pattern of making marketing statements like this...

...that have no reasonable chance of being met. Period. Full stop.

Couple that with a PR and marketing engine that fails to follow up on these promises with revised estimates, explanations, or mea culpas, and you have a dysfunctional organization that customers and potential customers lose faith in. I don't blame EJ for being hesitant with his purchase decision.

Since this is a Photokina year, I'd hazard a guess that the Gothenburg team is singularly focused on preparing for the show, making and testing prototypes, making final revisions to the script, and deciding what promises to make (and to revise?). I've been in that situation before, prepping for big international trade shows in my former corporate life. It's "all hands on deck" time and not much else gets done, especially in a tiny company like Hasselblad.

My advice to potential X1D customers is to carefully test their needs/wants against what the reality is (great camera, four stellar native lenses that are readily available plus the ability to adapt a lineup of HC lenses using the XH adapter, and fast service from Hasselblad US for repairs), and not against what has been published by a marketing organization with a poor record of meeting their promises.

Joe
Hi,
Could not agree more, and I can't understand what they are waiting to change, even if some people has to be changed. I hope we see something by Photokina. In the never never land something will include a new more competitive H with new lenses (one can dream).
Best regards,

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Simple explanation ...missing release dates has little immediate financial impact . Over spending the budget to achieve those dates would be unacceptable .

The long term affect is of course potential loss of customers and/or sales of new products .

danlindberg

I am very happy with my X1D! I find size, weight and ergonomics fit me perfectly. I only have the 90mm lens but have the Alpa adaptor waiting for me in Spain. I am eager to try out the Rodie and Schneiders, hoping for great results with those.

Although the original 90mm isn't bad at all......check a 100% crop here,

dancook

Tempted to sell the XCD 30 and rebuy the Leica Q - just feel for close quarters work with people, it's not ideal even if it's quiet.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The X1D and Q are about as far apart as two cameras can be. The Q is about a single magnificent lens, lightning fast focus, and a very good sensor. The X1D is about flexibility, slow speed, and exquisite detail. I would never use the X1D for candids. For architecture/landscape, it is amazing in its power/weight ratio :cool:.

I love them both.

My 2p,

Matt

dancook

The X1D and Q are about as far apart as two cameras can be. The Q is about a single magnificent lens, lightning fast focus, and a very good sensor. The X1D is about flexibility, slow speed, and exquisite detail. I would never use the X1D for candids. For architecture/landscape, it is amazing in its power/weight ratio :cool:.

I love them both.

My 2p,

Matt
I enjoy using the 90mm for documentary type shots, at personal events and live music.

I suppose this was 30mm

Wet Plate BBQ by dancook1982, on Flickr

and 90mm

I shall not be too hasty

PeterA

Probably a bit off topic - but as a long time Hasselblad shooter...

I wanted a digital XPan and I got an XID - I have not invested in any other lens than the 45mm so far as I am not a fan of the leaf shutter system limiting the camera to 1/2000th. Since Hasselblad enabled the electronic shutter, Ive been considering getting an adaptor and using my Zeis Otus and Milvus F mount lenses on the XID.

Typical shots I make with the XID are hand held, made as I walk around teh local beach scene in front of my residence - the lightweight combo of teh 45+ XID is a killer package for me I love it...

I am having a lot of fun cropping to XPAN dimension - which still leaves lots of pixels for prints....

All that said..I have to say that the to be announced 'rangefinder' version of the Fuji GFX to be announced in Photokina is going to be a very tempting switch/Addition to arsenal ...I love the Fuji lenses and I really like the focal plane shutter and the easy allowance for adapted lenses...fascinating to see Fuji dropping the LCD panel and making the camera total EVF - I imagine many wont like this 'omission' however as a street shooter or snap shooter matched to some of fuji's really small but excellent wider lenses or to adapted 35mm lenses - this will be really tempting...these are fun times in photography as far as gear goes - fantastic cameras all over the pladce including 50 megapixel medium format options in lightweight unpretentious packages - real world utility and amenity...

Ive put my order in.

Paratom

The only real issue is peoples excitement for it and I really appreciate the anticipation for it. I feel the same way.

It's Hasselblad's camera for the future and is going to be around for a long time and will likely replace the H eventually. Why would they rush anything at this point? I would imagine it's a company full of very proud people who feel honoured to work on such a thing, who want to make the best thing they can, building a seminal system for the future, a pivotal system which supersedes nearly one hundred years of a very successful paradigm. It's a chance for Hasselblad to get back to where they were and I'm sure they want and actually need to take the time that is needed to get things just right.

I really want it but appreciate what is involved and am happy to wait until it's right. I don't want a half-baked system that could be amazing. Looking at the incoming sensor specs and lens road map, I can't see how it could be anything short of incredible and the camera for me.
I fully agree, take you time and do it right Hasselblad.