The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

dancook

I found that on occasion the X1D did no turn on with the new 3400 mAh battery, this turned out to be a design feature.

Hasselblad have said

Regarding the recent usage feedback of the 3400mAh battery from some customers, the situation is as follows:

We have learned that there are some cases of improper use and long-term placement had caused over-discharge of cells. In order to avoid the inconvenience caused by long-term placement, we upgraded the battery to a new generation of smart battery. The new battery has an automatic Shutdown mode enabled. If it is not used for more than one week, the control circuit will be automatically turned off. A charger is required to activate the battery.

If you don't like this feature, please let us know. We will give feedback to the R&D and ask them to launch a solution as soon as possible.
Emails to [email protected] or private messages to me are most welcome. Thank you all for your attention.

My personal take on it

Sometimes I can use 5 batteries in a day, sometimes I use one - sometimes I can go several days without using the camera.

I would not know the status of each of the batteries to know if they were in shutdown mode.

The only fail-safe solution would be to cycle each them through the charger every time I wanted to take the camera out.

So I returned two 3400mAh batteries to the retailer for a refund, because I am not willing to do this.

tcdeveau

Interesting. Good to know. I already have 5 of the older batteries so I've more or less ignored the newer ones that came out.

I've just resorted to storing the camera without the battery inserted as lately I've long periods without using it.

hcubell

I found that on occasion the X1D did no turn on with the new 3400 mAh battery, this turned out to be a design feature.

Hasselblad have said

My personal take on it

Sometimes I can use 5 batteries in a day, sometimes I use one - sometimes I can go several days without using the camera.

I would not know the status of each of the batteries to know if they were in shutdown mode.

The only fail-safe solution would be to cycle each them through the charger every time I wanted to take the camera out.

So I returned two 3400mAh batteries to the retailer for a refund, because I am not willing to do this.
Thanks for the heads up. I have also noticed that my batteries in the camera will often fully discharge even though I THOUGHT I had turned off the camera. I assumed I had inadvertently put the camera into sleep mode. With the most recent firmware update, a message now appears on the LCD that the camera is shutting down if did fully power it off. The notice from Hasselblad suggests that the there may be another explanation for the discharge, so I will now follow t he practice of NOT storing a battery in the camera over an extended period.

jduncan

So, many of us have had the camera for a few months and managed to shoot a number of frames on a small variety of lenses. It seems that most of us have enjoyed the experience and appreciated the results.

But we still don't have the GPS unit and we still don't have the firmware update and we still don't have lens corrections in LR.

The first and last of those are not biggies: GPS is rarely of much use to me and whilst I might sometimes want it, I'd rarely need it - and LR doesn't do a great job with the files. It's not terrible, but it p***s away highlight detail and so for files that really matter I always run them through Phocus anyway. That's a bit boring (Phocus is far from terrible but it's not up to LR or C1 standards for workflow) but it's not the end of the world.

But the FW thing really does matter, for several reasons. One is the bugginess. On my recent trip to Spain I had endless and countless lockups requiring the battery to be removed, plus some weird focussing lockups too. More important however is the Auto ISO performance.

If the sensor was ISO invariant, it would be easy to get round this in Aperture Priority mode merely by using exposure compensation to underexpose until one got the shutter speed one needs. However, it is pretty clear to me that shooting at the 'right' ISO gives better results. Better to shoot at ISO 800 if that's what the scene requires with the aperture and shutter speed one desires than to shoot at ISO 100 and push in post.

So what that does mean is that it really is quite important, really quite often, to be able to set a minimum shutter speed either in absolute terms or as a multiple of 1/focal length.

Returning from Spain and looking at a lot of low light shots that looked good on my craptop, I see that there is in fact a two pixel blur on a lot of the frames shot at 1/f. I'd generally like to be able to set the 30mm lens not to shoot at less than 1/60th and the 90mm lens not to shoot at less than 1/180th but I can't. Instead, I either have to manually shift ISO, or do the 'exposure compensation' thing.

How do others feel about this? Hasselblad seems to have gone quiet, no?
Hi,

Countdown to Photokina?
No rummors and no conferences anounced by Hasselblad.
I hope we see the lenes. We still have two weeks to hope, on the other hand.

Best regards,

dancook

Dan, Todd & Howard,

There's an easy solution to the inadvertent battery discharge "problem". Get out there and use your cameras! :ROTFL:

Joe
I'm using it all the time, and charging the used batteries all the time as a result. It does mean though, some batteries see more action than others and when I happen to get around to using a 3400 that hasn't been touched in a week it won't work.

Oh I don't suffer the discharge problem, just the one week deactivation of the 3400.. Which is what I was bringing attention to.

satijntje

I'm using it all the time, and charging the used batteries all the time as a result. It does mean though, some batteries see more action than others and when I happen to get around to using a 3400 that hasn't been touched in a week it won't work.

Oh I don't suffer the discharge problem, just the one week deactivation of the 3400.. Which is what I was bringing attention to.

Here you find more info from Wade from HB about this batteryproblem:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HasselbladX1D/

John

DougDolde

Has anyone used this camera with say the 21mm to shoot the Milky Way? f/4 is on the slow side for astro, f/2.8 or faster recommended

tcdeveau

Has anyone used this camera with say the 21mm to shoot the Milky Way? f/4 is on the slow side for astro, f/2.8 or faster recommended
Yes Doug I have. I’ve got some examples on my Instagram page:

https://instagram.com/p/Bj3nPHyBgNB/

I was going to do a thread about it but got busy.

Yes f/4 is typically on the slow side but it performs rather well. The issue I had with using the 21mm is it much harder to use zoom in live view to find something to focus on compared to your D850 or even the 30mm XCD. Would help to have a distance scale.

There are better tools out there for the Milky Way (like your D850) if one does a lot of that kind of work IMHO, but, the X1D (and GFX) will handle Milky Way just fine. Considering the dark sky you’ve got in your neck of the woods, f/4 wouldn’t be that big a concern
-Todd

DougDolde

I've done a few last week with the Zeiss ZF.2 21mm but really I need the Zeiss 15mm for this task. The problem with stitching to go wider is it takes a couple minutes and that's enough for the stars to move. But the foreground is constant so I think Photoshop must use that for alignment.
So, stitching is OK for smaller prints, say 16x24 or 20x30 but go much bigger and you start to see the elongated stars